P504 exhaust manifold - is it worth getting ceramic coated?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jo proffi

Thread: P504 exhaust manifold - is it worth getting ceramic coated?

Default P504 exhaust manifold - is it worth getting ceramic coated?

Hi allWhile I have the head off my 504, I am wanting to tidy up a few things including the exhaust manifold. It is the original cast manifold but just needs a tidy up.Is it worth getting it ceramic coated? Reading up on it, there are advantages of reducing under bonnet temperatures.Thanks

Advertisement

It will look better.
    Jo
    Wildebeest likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

It has performance benefits when you’ve optimised pretty much everything else already.Keeps the heat inside the headers which keeps gas speed up and engine bay heat down.Also apparently pretty hard wearing, and often pretty colours.I would think for a cast header, it’s not quite as useful, as they already have decent thermal mass.For the prices I was quoted, I don’t really see a downside, even if it’s just bling.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Oil cooler, Quaife LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:40.2
    Wakefield - 1:13.5
    Phillip Island - 1:55.9
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

Mate of mine had it done for his E-Type Jag, both inside and out and apparently it improved scavenging, the crackling on trailing throttle was very noticeable on his car.
    Any day I wake up and don't have to go to work, is a good day
    Every day is a good day

Yes. My GTi6 pipes are coated and it's noticeably cooler under the bonnet and against the firewall.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Having read all these replies, I want to do it to my own car !

Dunno about doing it on the inside though....Jaguars are pretty over-engineered, but 504 exhaust headers are quite finely tuned. However when it is off, I would definitely give it a good reaming out to remove all that crud which will have narrowed the inside diameter. Don't breathe it in though....there may well be crud from when we had tetra-ethyl lead added to petrol.

(Darned edit function not working again).

The shop which does the ceramic coating may sand blast it first, though I'm not sure how they prepare the surface. In that case they can do the inside (and then leave it bare. Because a coating inside will reduce the diameter).

Fellow Frogger!

The inside is where it's most useful in improving gas speeds and scavenging, the outside is mostly for bling.
    It will technically reduce the diameter, but the coating is measured in microns, not millimetres. That's not a realistic issue.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Oil cooler, Quaife LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:40.2
    Wakefield - 1:13.5
    Phillip Island - 1:55.9
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

Really ? Things have come along a way in the last few years....I am still thinking of epoxy powder coating.

Pug 72 are you looking at the Jet Hot coating systems? All reports seem to be a thumbs up, as is the HPC. Have used various 'stuff' over the years and some just stop rust forming and others basically trap heat and burn out standard thin wall extractors.
    PeterT has the more hands on experience so give him a PM and ask what system he used.
    Brendan.

Thread Information