How to proceed- 2004 307 Hdi 2.0L Anti Pollution Fault and Limp mode.
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By dmccurtayne

Thread: How to proceed- 2004 307 Hdi 2.0L Anti Pollution Fault and Limp mode.

Tadpole

Default How to proceed- 2004 307 Hdi 2.0L Anti Pollution Fault and Limp mode.

Hi everyone.

Looking for some advice on how to move forward. I am very financially constrained at the moment and my car has flashed up with the dreaded Engine Light followed by Anti Pollution fault and then limp mode.

Advertisement

Car runs fairly normally when the fault isn't present. Only noticeable difference is that the car idle and acceleration sound is slightly higher pitched/tinnier than normal.

So I have a friend with a diagnostic tool (not peugeot specific) and I was going to hook it up to get the fault codes and research what it may be. Local mechanic was pretty dismissive when I mentioned this and likened it to Googling your condition prior to going to the doctor. Thing is, they want $110 to look at the fault codes and spend 30mins diagnosing ($88 per hour thereafter). If no diagnosis then I am crap out of luck.

I essentially have $800-$1000 to get this completely fixed.

From reading around Google, a Peugeot Planet diagnostic tool is preferred. I am Outer North Brisbane and closest Peugeot mechanic is probably PeugeotTech but I simply cannot afford them and they are still quite a drive from where I am. At the same time I don't want to use a local mechanic that may not have the knowledge necessary to properly fix it either. I really don't know how to proceed. Any advice?

Thanks

1000+ Posts

Without the codes we are guessing. That said you don't need the maker's software to get the code numbers - any generic code reader will do, and some of these tools are very cheap. I carry one in the glovebox for example. Read the codes, cancel any oddities and see what comes back.

I am surprised nobody would do that small thing for you. Do you have a regular mechanic?

Anti-pollution faults relate to combustion, but that leaves a lot of possibilities.

1000+ Posts

So get your friend to read the codes and put them up here. Somebody should be able to decode them for you.

As seasink says, if your friend's code reader can delete codes, get rid of as many as you can, then read again after the fault lights have reappeared. Fault codes that have reappeared are the ones that might help.

Cheers

Alec

PS could be as simple as water in fuel, dirty fuel filter, bad diesel... Can be worth running current tank down, and refuel at a different servo when low fuel warning light comes on.

Fellow Frogger

You will see an anti-pollution fault when the exhaust is measured as being outside an acceptable range. Reading the fault log is a very helpful step in working out why. RACQ could read the fault log, but try your friend with the scan tool.

It's always a good idea to check the low/no cost basics before spending any money. Start with the battery? It's important it is strong as these cars do not tolerate a weak battery. Over 3 years and it's suspect now. Load test it, not just a simple multimeter voltage check.

When was the fuel filter last changed? Fuel starvation due to a blocked filter will show up under increased load while the car may run OK most of the time.

Similarly, a failing pre-pump in the fuel tank may be unable to deliver enough pressure to the high pressure diesel pump. I'm not sure if the 307 would have the same fault that the C5 commonly has with the burnt supply pin in the engine fuse box, but it can't hurt to check. This can stop an old C5 stone dead.

Can you see any split hoses, air pipes or vacuum lines? Look for soggy rubber or splits in all of the vacuum hoses around the pump, the booster and anything connected. Any splits in the turbo air handling hoses? These can lead to a loss of boost and over-fuelling.

Does your car have a particle filter to complicate matters? These can block up. The fault log would report any measured problem with this.

What's in the VIN? RHZ? Some owners of C5s of the same age (RHZ in VIN, no particle filter) report eliminating anti-pol faults by simply cleaning (very carefully) the air flow sensor at the cold air intake. You also want to see if the EGR valve works when a vacuum is applied and whether it lets go with an audible clunk when the vacuum is released.

1000+ Posts

It's a 2004 model, so no particle filter.

Open the filter box and check what debris has been sucked into it. If sand, dirt, water check incoming air flow pipe work is intact and wheel arch cover not cracked or missing. Install a new filter.
    Anti pollution can also be caused a dud air flow sensor I have one which cleaning did not help....C5 still runs fine so I'll swap it at some stage.
    Good luck

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Tadpole

Hi all, sorry it took me a couple days. Borrowed a friend's OBD2 reader and it came back with 3 fault codes.
    1. P2143
    2. P1668
    3. P1351

Fuel filter had some small metal shavings in the top. Wasn't much but cleaned and will be replacing. We don't think it was that at this point. Local mechanics couldn't tell me squat and wanted to charge me $100 just for the codes. It is booked into A Cullen Peugeot at Nambour on Monday. Cheers.

The 2143 fault is pretty common need to check the egr control make sure the vacuum lines running to it are not broken
    The 1668 normally comes on when a aftermarket scanner is connected nothing to worry about same as the glow plugs fault 1351

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    Stuey and Roland like this.
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Tadpole

So, to add to the angst A Cullen and Son at Nambour have had the car since Monday afternoon and have no idea yet. Apparently they are not seeing any fault codes on their system and don't have any idea. They asked for me to leave the car with them for today and that they would come back to it between jobs to try and figure it out but given it is a bit older they don't want to spend too much time (and thus money) diagnosing it.

They don't believe it is the EGR valve being clogged as it would idle chunky and choke on it's own fumes more. They had success cycling the ignition while driving and it resets it straight out of limp mode but limp mode is happening more and more frequently and it is basically undrivable.

I don't know what to do. I drove it over an hour up the highway to take it to them with utter faith that they, being Peugeot experts, would know exactly what it was and instead I am faced with THEM not knowing how to proceed and meanwhile I have no car or even idea of when I might have it back (if at all).

So far the only symptoms I have to go off is
    a) it has been running a bit hot due to needing a new radiator fan relay (never over 95). This problem was fixed (by cleaning and reseating the radiator relay by a local mechanic) but reoccurred.

b) it having a slightly tinny idle/running sound. This is the main symptom, it showed up the morning that the engine light first came on and I first encountered limp mode.

c) Engine light and "limp mode" where the engine won't go over 2000 revs. If you keep the revs up and drive it at higher revs it doesn't go into limp mode. Only once you slow down will it stop going into higher revs. In higher revs it drives normally (except the sound). No stuttering, no lack of power or skipping.

I really need help. I am terrified that I am going to be lumped with a massive bill with no answers and no car.

Nothing wrong with cullens they won’t rip you off

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Garage C5 X7 4008
    Gone but not forgotten 3008 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring

Cullens won't ripe you off. I second that. I think they may not have spare parts to swap and see any difference being its an old vehicle.

I still think its a MAF or O2 sensor. Not sure what else would limit the revs.

Maybe quiz them on the actual codes Planet/PP2000 is recording for additional clues.

Sent from my SM-G900I using aussiefrogs mobile app

Tadpole

They seem really great and I have had good experienced with them in the past. The problem is that last I spoke to them (this morning) THEY had no idea what was going on with it. I didn't hear from them this afternoon so guessing it still hasn't been diagnosed. If they don't have any ideas in 1.5days of having it...then yeah, I am starting to freak out. I assumed it would be something that they would know. I don't know what I will do if they don't know what to do.

Fellow Frogger!

Hi. Just reading through the thread when the 'tinny sound' clue prompted recall of something a pommie, in Aus, mechanic mentioned about problems within catalytic converters breaking up internally and the debris becoming ball shaped which then at times frustrates or challenges exhaust gas flow. I guess that the internal movement could generate a tinny type sound. From memory he said it was not all that rare back in the old country.
    If needed I do have a drive-able stat write off restyle 307 with RHR and 6 speed auto that could be a source of parts.
    Last edited by kelpiebat; 13th February 2019 at 08:47 AM.

Thread Information