Shocks/Dampers - life expectancey?
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Shocks/Dampers - life expectancey?

Default Shocks/Dampers - life expectancey?

My Pug 207cc Sport is on 145,000 klicks and original shocks. All feels well, but the 'professionals' say they should be replaced every 80,000 klicks. Some say even sooner.

Advertisement

Anyone want to give advice or info?

Cheers.
    The French Tart… 207cc Sport THP150 and now a RCZ Mk2 THP200

1000+ Posts

Some people are simply trying to sell you a set. It depends, on make, and on the type of road shocks they have been subjected to, and how often. Pug original sets are not rubbish, and your distance isn't uncommon. Testing them isn't hard.
    Nagaman likes this.

VIP Sponsor

Keep what you have, anything you can buy will be inferior and actually only last 80000 if that. You may need bushes at this km though.
    Nagaman and 207cc Sport like this.

1000+ Posts

Some years ago a Peugeot designer being interviewed expressed frustration at the suspension repair places in France diagnosing Peugeots that needed new struts. He stressed that it was most unlikely they did and the Peugeot struts were replaced with inferior items. So unless you use the car on rough roads suspension places with free tests should be avoided.

Intelligent feedback from wise ones. Thank you.

Bushes, mentioned are often overlooked and it is a replacement part. So' I'll get into that project and drop the shocks. I know I'll notice a slight diff. with new bushes, as I have replaced them on the Red Jett (Nissan N14 SSS).

As I have a RCZ, I'm on the UK RCZ forum, and posted the same thread. You'll love the response.

Peugeot RCZ Forum ? Damper/Shock life expectancy. : Wheels, Tyres & Brakes and Suspension

Cheers.

Anyhow, at 145,000 klicks and as all other service units have been replaced in the Tart's lifetime, I'm doing the shocks!
    They must degenerate over that amount of time and klicks. It is just that you get used to it. I've read that some folks feel uncomfortable that their car is more firmer after a shock change. Well, because it is back to new specs, and I suppose they are not as excited as much, as when new.

Purchased these:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Monroe-F...72.m2749.l2649

Install is $400.00

After ten years this is a replacement item. I even replaced the shocks on my Holden EK back in the early 70's.
    And even in the EK, I noticed a difference in firmness - well control.

I'll keep ya posted. I'll be getting them to check the bushes. Already ordered the front sway=bar bush replacements.

Cheers.
    Last edited by 207cc Sport; 14th January 2019 at 05:53 PM.
    JohnW likes this.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 207cc Sport View Post
    Anyhow, at 145,000 klicks and all other service units have been met in the Tart's lifetime, I'm doing the shocks!
    They must degenerate over that amount of time and klicks. It is just that you get used to it. I've read that some folks feel their car is more primer after a shock change. Well, because it is back to new specs.

Purchased these:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Monroe-F...72.m2749.l2649

Install is $400.00

After ten years this is a replacement item. I even replaced the shocks on my Holden EK back in the early 70's.
    And even in the EK, I noticed a difference in firmness - well control.

I'll keep ya posted.

Cheers.
    Better keep the old ones you may be putting them back in again. Why ask the question if you ignore the answers?
    cjl and dmccurtayne like this.

I asked the question, and also researched the answers. The bushes was noted.

However, 145,000 kilometres on winding rough roads, (not laid back executive chair drive) and a lively, sporting drive history.
    No puddling around with a diesel, trying to clean the farticulkate filter in Oz.

Now, I'm very sure that Peugeot Sport would recommend what I'm intending to do.

I'll keep ya posted . . . with honesty.

GW 100% more than 20 years on these things and unless the are a banana or dripping you will regret replacing shocks but hey the man from pedders said so

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    cjl, Nagaman and JohnW like this.

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtayne View Post
    GW 100% more than 20 years on these things and unless the are a banana or dripping you will regret replacing shocks but hey the man from pedders said so

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time
    Yes, any Peugeot which has had shockers replaced usually has them leaking or not working. The only good Monroes were the ones that were designed and made in Australia by Wylie around 1980.

I did 366,000 km on a set of new 405 front struts and they were still better dampers than the NEW ones in the office Honda Civic.
    JohnW likes this.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    Register your 404: https://recensement.leclub404.com/submit.php

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by 207cc Sport View Post
    I asked the question, and also researched the answers. The bushes was noted.

However, 145,000 kilometres on winding rough roads, (not laid back executive chair drive) and a lively, sporting drive history.
    No puddling around with a diesel, trying to clean the farticulkate filter in Oz.

Now, I'm very sure that Peugeot Sport would recommend what I'm intending to do.

I'll keep ya posted . . . with honesty.
    Peugeot Sport would use something like Reigers at $10000 a set.

1000+ Posts

Graham you remember the Monroes Renault was fitting to the 504 rear. Half the size of the Peugeot shocks but retailed for $14 -$15 compared to over $50 for the proper unit. Weren't too bad. Renault used for buy them in for around $2. There were apparently heavy duty 504 front strut inserts made for African service. Some guys who were building a rally car were trying to order them through Renault. They were referred to New Caledonia which had a large Peugeot parts stock that Renault used as a back up. Don't know if they got them.

1000+ Posts

It’s my understanding that ‘shocks’ were a Peugeot specialty.
    They’d need to be obviously completely shot before I would choose to degrade my pug with substandard new non-Peugeot ones.
    Long travel ‘control’ shouldn’t be confused with worn IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Hall View Post
    Graham you remember the Monroes Renault was fitting to the 504 rear. Half the size of the Peugeot shocks but retailed for $14 -$15 compared to over $50 for the proper unit. Weren't too bad. Renault used for buy them in for around $2. There were apparently heavy duty 504 front strut inserts made for African service. Some guys who were building a rally car were trying to order them through Renault. They were referred to New Caledonia which had a large Peugeot parts stock that Renault used as a back up. Don't know if they got them.
    Yes, don't know how Renault Australia got away with that. At that time Peugeot would cancel a dealers franchise (in France) if they were caught fitting non genuine parts. As I recall with the Monroes fitted it felt like the front and rear suspensions of the car were working separately, no feeling of togetherness. Dramatic when the tail let go.

I'm still committed. Booked in two weeks time. Truth will be in eating the bananas . . .

These dudes are doing the job.

https://www.mermaidsuspensioncentre.com.au/services

Feedback in due course.

Sheeze, if Peugeot shocks were fitted to all vehicles, the shock absorber industry would be broke.

Rockin'.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shocks/Dampers - life expectancey?-img_0330.jpg  

1000+ Posts

if Peugeot shocks were fitted to all vehicles, the shock absorber industry would be broke
    Possibly so. I've never seen an obviously undamaged one replaced.

I didn't realise taking advice on A/F's was mandatory. Ah well......better remember that before I ask a question.

Shock, horror...I put Bilstein B6's front and rear on my GTi 180 at 115,00km

They are a more comfortable and better handling shocker absorber than the stock items....No matter what you say.

Hey, but what would I know....I'm only the person driving the car.

207cc Sport, if you are happy with the results then that's what matters.

Cheers
    COL and 207cc Sport like this.

1000+ Posts

In the 04 era Peugeot were still making their own shock absorbers and advertising as the only company that did so. In fact some of the lever arms had been made by Indenor under Peugeot quality supervision during the 1950's. The Peugeot shock absorbers were of exceptional design and manufacturing quality and regarded as an integral part of the suspension system. How it goes with contemporary models I have no idea (or interest) but of the many alternative makes touted for 504's none bettered the original. But one shouldn't be too critical, the suspension replacement industry provides employment for many needy salesmen now the house cladding industry has collapsed.
    JohnW likes this.

“The old order changeth yielding place to new

And God fulfills himself in many ways

Lest one good custom should corrupt the world."

Tennyson.

Let me report back first, before you nail me to the cross . . .
    Last edited by 207cc Sport; 15th January 2019 at 07:03 PM.

1000+ Posts

The discussion mentioned the sort of shocks PSA would fit to a race sports model. The DS3 R3 Racing is as hot a hatch as you could wish, built on the same floor as the Pug.

It has BOS three-track adjustable shock absorbers (low-and high-speed compression and rebound). http://www.bos-suspension.com/

DS3 Racing front suspension.jpg

racing shocks was mentioned as a joke.

I'm gunna do it. I'm gunna change my shocks for brand new ones.

Wild turbo horses won't stop me.

Ah well, good luck with the change. It seems early and low mileage to me.

IMHO it depends 100% on what you actually want from the car. We replaced the fronts on our 306 at perhaps 180,000 km and 15 years as they were at the leaking point, if I remember correctly. The difference was negligible but it set us up for the next 7 years before it was sold.

Some folk, me included, value that old commodity "ride comfort". But moderns have lost that plot by and large.

I'll be interested to hear how you rate the change and, more importantly, why you make whatever the judgement is. All interesting.

I was driving my Citroen CX today and NOTHING comes close unless you have a DS...

Best of luck with it.
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Renault Scenic 2006 (daughter's)
    Citroën CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

OK. Shocks now fitted to the French Tart.

Now, where do I start? Dropped off the Tart for it’s Munroe shock fix and returned when advised. To my concern the Shock Shop had closed for the day and no one was to be seen. The keys to the Tart were lying on the front floor and a note pinned to the steering wheel said, ‘No charge. Free service’.

I looked under the car and the Munroe’s were there, so I thought, ‘What luck.’

However, as I drove the Tart home, the handling had degraded to that of a drunken hobo on ice skates. It was dangerous.

Next day I sped back to the Shock Shop, only to find it closed down with a FOR SALE sign up. No one was there!

I went home feeling miserable, and only became more miserable when I saw on the TV news that night that a set of four Peugeot shocks went at an auction for $750,000. I looked at the shocks on TV and to my astonishment realised they were mine!

They were purchased by an eccentric Pug owner who mostly had last century models and even a 19thcentury Pug with wooden spoke wheels. He stated that he had purchased the Pug shocks as an investment, saying that in two years they will be worth $1,000,000.

If only I had listened. If I had known, I would have ripped the Pug shocks out, auctioned them myself, and trashed the rest of the car.

Authors note: the above is a story of pure fiction.

REALITY:

Yes, Munroe shocks were fitted professionally. The shop tested the old shocks and found that three were 40% worn while the forth was 55% worn.

I didn’t expect a 40% improvement in handling etc, however there was a noticeable difference in feel, braking, cornering and NVH reduction. I would say a 15% - 20% improvement, which is par for the course.

So all ends well and I am very happy with the results. RECOMMENDED.

Over and out, I won’t be back.

Oh, by the way, I have the old worn shocks. I’m selling them for $500,000. Interested?
    BIGRR likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information