Dipstick snalled in half in Oil gauge pipe
  • Register
  • Help

Default Dipstick snapped in half in Oil gauge pipe

Hi all,
    Seriously panicking after changing the oil in my Pug 308 2.0Blue HDi Allure today when the dipstick snapped in half as I pulled it out after filling up with oil. i pretty much know how much oil to put in without the gauge but am worried that the 15 to 20cm snapped off piece is sitting at the bottom of the tube and the sump will go down further and possibly get into the engine parts. I am thinking that the piece is too long to be able to go down further but feel like it is a ticking time bomb so need some advice as to what i can do? I certainly do not want to have to drop the oil sump to get at the snapped on piece!!

Advertisement
    Last edited by 308CUCKEN; 10th December 2018 at 12:21 AM.

Well, if there isn't enough room down the tube to lower a strong magnet on a stick to retrieve the leftover dipstick, the alternative is to pull the dipstick tube out of the block.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

Every HDI with any kms on it has a collection of those plastic tips in the bottom of the sump. They are away from the oil pickup, and separated from the mechanical parts. They are an exceedingly dumb design.

Or did the plastic stick itself break? There might be some accessible from the external tube. Measure it.

(Another dumb design is the coiled spring used in the 1.6 THP engines - you can't read the oil level on it).

The sealant used on the HDI sumps is extremely hard and needs chiselling off. Not a quick job.

The dipstick is metal on a Allure Blue HDi and it is not just the tip but has broken in half.
    Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Every HDI with any kms on it has a collection of those plastic tips in the bottom of the sump. They are away from the oil pickup, and separated from the mechanical parts. They are an exceedingly dumb design.

Or did the plastic stick itself break? There might be some accessible from the external tube. Measure it.

(Another dumb design is the coiled spring used in the 1.6 THP engines - you can't read the oil level on it).

The sealant used on the HDI sumps is extremely hard and needs chiselling off. Not a quick job.

Sent from my SM-G950F using aussiefrogs mobile app

Hi guys, just did a revisit to the dipstick and it looks like the only the end tip where the gauge is has snapped off. See picture.
    20181210_063943.jpg
    20181210_063936.jpg
    Last edited by 308CUCKEN; 12th December 2018 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 308CUCKEN View Post
    Hi guys, just did a revisit to the dipstick and it looks like the only the end tip where the gauge is has snapped off. See picture.Attachment 111275Attachment 111276
    Neither of those links to the pictures are working. (for me anyway!)
    Land Rover Discovery 4
    406 Coupe D9 - Manual (2002)
    307 Hdi Estate - Auto - (2007)
    307 Hdi Sedan - Auto - (2007)
    505GR Estate - Personal Import from UK 1971cc Manual (March 1986)
    405 Mi16x4 (all the parts ready to install into the LeMans body)

Fellow Frogger!

On a DW engine, you should be able to drain the sump, then undo the dipstick tube with a single screw at it's base, and another one bracing it up near the alternator. It's sealed with an O-ring, and should just pull straight out. If you're careful, hopefully the broken piece will come with it.
    206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Oil cooler, Quaife LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:40.2
    Wakefield - 1:13.5
    Phillip Island - 1:55.9
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

Quote Originally Posted by speaksgeek View Post
    On a DW engine, you should be able to drain the sump, then undo the dipstick tube with a single screw at it's base, and another one bracing it up near the alternator. It's sealed with an O-ring, and should just pull straight out. If you're careful, hopefully the broken piece will come with it.

A very strong magnet at the base of the tube will help pull the broken bit out with the tube.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

1000+ Posts

I think we are discussing the DW10F engine. If so, this shows the dipstick tube:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dipstick snalled in half in Oil gauge pipe-dw10f.jpg  

Have updated the original post so pics should be working now.

1000+ Posts

Is the bit broken off a metal blade type arrangement that normally sticks into that plastic? I'm asking because that's what is on my 206 so I need to watch out for it coming loose. Mine has a fibreglass shaft above the black blob.

I wonder if the broken part is magnetic to any extent. You could use a magnet on some wire up through the drain hole and fish for it....unless the sump is steel.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Is the bit broken off a metal blade type arrangement that normally sticks into that plastic? I'm asking because that's what is on my 206 so I need to watch out for it coming loose. Mine has a fibreglass shaft above the black blob.

I wonder if the broken part is magnetic to any extent. You could use a magnet on some wire up through the drain hole and fish for it....unless the sump is steel.
    Yes it is

Sent from my SM-G950F using aussiefrogs mobile app

Thread Information