404 front disk calipers sticking
  • Register
  • Help

Default 404 front disk calipers sticking

Second question for the brains trust:

The 404 is on the road now after sitting in the shed for a few years (3?). I notice the front calipers are sticking slightly. I am thinking of doing a seal kit on them, but before I touch anything I thought I should check if there are any gotcha's with these.

Advertisement

For instance, are there different sizes or models of front calipers that will mean I ordered the wrong bits?

Also, is there a recommended local supplier of the seal kits?

The car is, we think, a 1968, with front disks. From time to time I thought it was 1969 but the rego mob don't agree.

Matt

Update to this post... the sticking has stopped, but I still feel I should do a seal kit on the calipers, plus t replace the various hoses, so if anyone has a recommended local supplier I am keen.

Matt

VIP Sponsor

Pretty sure I've got 1 kit.

Fellow Frogger!

I think the dust covers are even harder to get, bought these a couple of years ago, NOS but the rubbers were all still nice and soft, and they been running fine ever since fitted then.

20151114_111056.jpg 20151114_111152.jpg

Matt,

I found some locally, via a local Burson Auto Parts. See below for details. (It is an entry from my thread.)

If you have any difficulties sourcing them, drop me a line and I’ll go see the guy I deal with at my local Bursons. He is extremely helpful.

Is it the calipers binding or the booster valve sticking? If it is the booster valve sticking, history tells me it starts sticking occasionally then gets worse. It’s not a lot of fun when the front brakes lock on and won’t release. No steering while it is sliding. Last experience of this still scars my memory. Touched the brakes approaching a pedestrian crossing on a wet road, Bang locked on front brakes and slid hopelessly through the crossing with my hand firmly on the horn.... Car was towed home and not driven until the issue was found and solved.

Like yourself I’d try the calipers first. Does the car still have the original Hydrovac booster or is it a replacement aftermarket, such as a PBR.

Cheers,

Dan

Finally found a set in Brisbane. A company called PROTEX have them listed. Part number K770S. $44 a set. The aforementioned ‘O’ring is included in this kit.

Thread Information