404 bonnet emblem
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    69

    Default 404 bonnet emblem

    Hi all,

    Happy to report the lad has his P plates and is now officially driving the 404 (Aimee). We did a quick and dirty respray and she came up well, but in the process we discovered that the 404 emblem on the bonnet was (a) broken into three separated pieces, (b) attached to the car mainly with rust.

    I see we can purchase a new 404 badge from Franzose, but it's well out of the lad's budget for now (though he has also landed a job to go with his P's).

    So, two questions:

    1) any clever suggestions for gluing the badge back together? (araldite was total failure)
    2) a local source of the little plastic sockets that keep the emblems on? I see them on Franzose, but the postage would be more than the sockets themselves I suspect.

    Matt

    Advertisement
    Attached Images Attached Images

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Toowoomba
    Posts
    631

    Default

    Two pieces is more common, ('4-0' and '4') with the cover plate for the bonnet catch missing altogether. I have deleted the badge and filled in the holes on two cars, and successfully glued the bits onto the bonnet of another with araldite. I've thought about putting the bits together on a block of wood and making a plaster mold to cast a brass '404' but never got around to that.

    It's a really good idea to hose the front of the bonnet full of corrosion inhibitor (fishoilene etc) but put something over the front of the car to catch the drips!

    I might have a few two piece versions around.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Llewellyn View Post
    Two pieces is more common, ('4-0' and '4') with the cover plate for the bonnet catch missing altogether. I have deleted the badge and filled in the holes on two cars, and successfully glued the bits onto the bonnet of another with araldite. I've thought about putting the bits together on a block of wood and making a plaster mold to cast a brass '404' but never got around to that.

    It's a really good idea to hose the front of the bonnet full of corrosion inhibitor (fishoilene etc) but put something over the front of the car to catch the drips!

    I might have a few two piece versions around.
    Well, as they say, "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king!". Your two piece is better than our three piece ensemble. Thankfully, the cover plate is still there. I was considering gluing the whole lot to a piece of galvanised tin after painting it the same colour as the car.... hadn't considered casting my own... that's getting serious. But at least they can be purchased, only four hours labour at his job, after tax, as I explained to my son.

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gilow View Post
    1) any clever suggestions for gluing the badge back together? (araldite was total failure)
    2) a local source of the little plastic sockets that keep the emblems on? I see them on Franzose, but the postage would be more than the sockets themselves I suspect.
    Araldite is a good epoxy for interior non-structural applications, but you'll need something stronger/harder/more environmentally resistant.

    The easy to obtain J-B Weld or Loctite Epoxy Weld, would be a big step up as they are specific for metal adhesion. With proper surface prep they are very strong as shown here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM4IGweHT2k

    Or you can go for thermally setting glues such as 3M 2214, Permabond ES550, or MG chemicals 9310 which set like metal. All of these can be used to embed fasteners into objects, so you can replace the pins and clips with nuts and bolts. But once you see the price on those it won't make sense for a one off job, just buy a bonnet badge from eBay etc.
    406 HDi

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypermiler View Post
    Araldite is a good epoxy for interior non-structural applications, but you'll need something stronger/harder/more environmentally resistant.

    The easy to obtain J-B Weld or Loctite Epoxy Weld, would be a big step up as they are specific for metal adhesion. With proper surface prep they are very strong as shown here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM4IGweHT2k

    Or you can go for thermally setting glues such as 3M 2214, Permabond ES550, or MG chemicals 9310 which set like metal. All of these can be used to embed fasteners into objects, so you can replace the pins and clips with nuts and bolts. But once you see the price on those it won't make sense for a one off job, just buy a bonnet badge from eBay etc.
    Thank you, good advice all around.

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Avisford NSW
    Posts
    515

    Default

    I can sell you a good badge and the blanking plate if youwant and probably have the plastic inserts also.

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts Wildebeest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Perth Western Australia
    Posts
    2,632

    Default

    For plastic inserts. Use small diameter screen wash or beveridge tubing cut to suit.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •