reliability of 307 2L
  • Register
  • Help
    nJm

reliability of 307 2L

There is a guy on the news group AUS.CARS who is looking to buy either a Pug 307 XSE 2L auto or a VW Golf SE 2L auto.

Advertisement

He said he's been told by many people that Peugeots are unreliable...

I've told him about the track record of the 504/505's (some 505 XN1s in the UK have nearly 500,000kms on them!)

I guess the 307 2L is the same engine in the 406 ST and 306 XSi?

Anything negative to say about them? I want to tell him how wonderful owning a Peugeot is, and how boring it would be to own a VW clown
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

But don't you get the impression about the old Peugeots as truly being days gone by? You only have to read groups like this or alt.autos.peugeot to see what I mean. How do you judge reliability - if you're going to do so by Japanese standards, modern Peugeots probably aren't going to fare at world's best practise. Ever sat in a 206? Put Daewoo badges on it in the showroom, and the perceived quality would feel about there.

Having said that, after 3000km, my 1.6 so far is good, apart from a few minor trim faults. In addition, I've heard about some quality issues with the Golf, but it's fair to say that the Golf has an advantage in perceived quality.

Gary's got a 2.0L 307, and he's had a few minor faults. The 307 uses the same engine as in the 406.

Quality in the 307 has certainly improved over previous Peugeots - but I'm not sure whether it's Golf beating. You'd have to say, some of the stories off alt.autos.peugeot are worrying with the 307 - but then, you probably shouldn't buy a car in its first year of production (which has since past).

Basically, it's going to come down to - how patient is this guy? He's gonna have to wait quality time for a 307, but won't have to wait as long for a Golf.

As for the driving experience, most people test drive the car, so ultimately it'll be his taste. Resale for both is basically identical, but I'd say that VW would have better quality than Peugeot.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Aussiefrogged in MEL, PER, SYD, BNE & ADL.
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Fellow Frogger!
    The 306 has 2.0 "XU" engine, this is the old motor dating back to 305/205 days.

The new 2.0 is a EU, or EJ, (it's E-something), new design that is in new 406s, 206s, 307s etc.

It's the EW10J4 - dating from the first 406s.
    All alloy, 16v, blablabla.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Fellow Frogger!
    nJm
    [QB]There is a guy on the news group AUS.CARS who is looking to buy either a Pug 307 XSE 2L auto or a VW Golf SE 2L auto.

QB]
    Nick,

Tell him to buy the Golf. The Golf is better built than the 307 and the 2 litre 8 valve Golf engine is very simple and very torquey down low, which is perfect for an auto gearbox, and is also just what you need for a car that you could keep for a long time without expensive engine maintenance.

I rode up to Queensland and back in a new 2 litre Golf at Easter, and spent a little bit of time driving it too, and I really don't think you can go past them for a good straight forward car. What you see is what you get, and you can tell it's going to last well.

They are very much a Goldielocks car:
    -not too slow, not too fast
    -suspension is not too bumpy, not too soft
    -steering is not too heavy, not too light
    -seats are not too soft, not too hard
    -tyres are not too low profile, not too high profile

In many respects they seem just right for an everyday car, although I find the exterior styling bland, but definitely not ugly. They're not cheap, but they are better made than some cars that are twice the price.

Dave

Pug307:
    It's the EW10J4 - dating from the first 406s.
    All alloy, 16v, blablabla.

Cheers,

Justin
    From the first of the facelifted 406's, yes. The first 406's used the old motor.

Fellow Frogger!
    sorry guys im as one eyed about pugs as the next person,i fix em every day and have been around since the old 404 and up,sad to say the new ones are not a patch on the oldys.if peugeot had to build a reputation now they would be struggling,sorry if this bursts your bubble,just being honest,i still love them though you just got to put up with some quirky things.

Fellow Frogger!
    my car is a is a 306 xsi with teh 2 ltr XU motor, i reckon they're ok but like other people have said, it's not as reliable as you will find in a honda! i think some mechanics are partly to blame for the peugeot issues, some seem to rely too much on the diagnostics machine.

hey buddy,
    i too have the xsi 16v have u done any mods to them. well, i would say the 306 qualtiy is not that bad as people might say....the trim they use on the car is pretty good quality. of course u can't compare them to german alikes the merc and bmws....but against nissan, honda and mitsu etc2...i do feel they stand up quite well. i had a fairly new lightly modded civic vitr to drive around for a close to a year, of course performance wise..u just can't beat the vtec in an na car, together with the amount of knowledge and support they have locally i sort of start to forget about my pug, began to question whether the amount of time and money i spent on it was well worth it. but then one day, i decided to give the poor forgotten pug a real drive, i finally realised AGAIN why i chose her in the first place in midst of all the SSS, vtirs, silvias etc2.
    sorry if my story made everyone sleepy :p :p , but the fact is....some people do fall in love with cars, go for a test drive i would say....and let the buyer decide.

Madpug getting sentimental. hauahauhauahaa

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar
    i still love them though you just got to put up with some quirky things.
    i think all pugs are quirky compared to other cars that's what sets them apart from the rest
    who wants to drive the same car that happens to be parked in a nieghbours driveway 2 doors down

i think some mechanics are partly to blame for the peugeot issues
    peugeot have always had this problem as well
    you only have to look at how many early pugs had straight water put in the radiators when all other cars had cast heads and had mineral oil put in their diffs when that's what every other car took in the diff

build quality of the interiors of pugs has never been 100% compared to the jap machines and the engines in pugs have never been silky smooth and super quiet but when they perform the way they do you have to expect this
    as for interiors my 306 still doesn't have a squeak or rattle in it
    even the 604 is rattle and squeak free

we all know that people complain about the ignition switch bieng on the wrong side and the wiper switch is where the blinker switch should be but we learn to live with these little things

i'm afraid that this is something that will never end and that people will always have something to complain about every car and pugs i'm afraid will never have the universal name in this country like a holden/ford or jap machine
    but i do know that when most people do drive a pug for a while do fall in love with them and wonder why they had never driven one before and in time they to learn to live with these little quirks that pugs have

Nick
    you friend will probably not end up with a pug but each to his own
    he will like what he gets and he will also complain about it as well with things that go wrong or things that he doesn't like about it but that's the joys of owning any motor car
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

nJm
    He took them both for a reasonable test drive, and has now ordered a new 307 XSE. He was extremely impressed by it. He said the Golf felt like a much older car (which it is).

Hope he's happy with it!
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

nJm:
    He took them both for a reasonable test drive, and has now ordered a new 307 XSE. He was extremely impressed by it. He said the Golf felt like a much older car (which it is).

Hope he's happy with it!
    That's what exactly I did before I placed order for my 307 XSE.

Golf is too bored to drive.

Do you understand my English?

How long's he got to wait for the 307 (didn't see anything in aus.cars)?

I guess it's no secret why Peugeot's just had its best selling month on record. There's an article in this week's BRW on the 'renaissance' of French motoring in Australia.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Fellow Frogger!
    Article in The Advertiser recently on car safety and the 307 was best in its class. Had a picture of 307 after 50km/h head on crash just had a dented nose picute of a Daewoo Nubria was a little scary the whole car was a twisted wrecked after a front on crash. Quirky and safe, go the Pugs!
    05' Megane 225 Cup

NCAP gave it 88%, which is 2% from a 5 star rating.

It may be flawed, but at least, NCAP is getting cars to improve safety. One thing I'm concerned about is the side impact test - far too many cars are getting 100%.

RACV put the 307 first in a comparo against the 147 & A3.

Cheers,

Justin

Peugeot 307 XS 1.6
    Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Fellow Frogger!
    as for interiors my 306 still doesn't have a squeak or rattle in it
    far my car squeaks! somethign inside both front doors squeak and the dash rattles over bumps
    frown

Pugsly,
    My 306 had a rattle on the RH side of the dash that I found was the fuse box lid. I stuck some foam on the hinge at the bottom, and on the top edge to fix it
    Alan.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

1000+ Posts
    My 306 rattles quite a lot. One on the left side of the dash, one inside the 'glovebox' lid (where most of you guys probably have a passenger airbag I've got a little tiny glovebox/storage space). I don't know how to get inside that lid though (it's 2 pieces of plastic joined together) and i'm scared I'll break the clips. Then again maybe they're already broken hence the noise?

The most annoying of all is a new one - a high pitched squeeky vibration somewhere deep in the centre of the dash. It's at around 3000rpm in both 4th and 5th gear on the highway... so about 105-115km/hr. I've taken the radio out and gone for a drive and got someone to push and prod on everything they can down in there behind the radio but it doesn't shut up! Sounds like it's resonance related to me given it only happens at particular rev ranges and road speeds. Oh yeah if you hit the clutch and keep rolling at that speed the rattle/squeak stops. It's actually a bad one cos I tend to drive at 120 on the freeway because the noise gets so annoying.

Ahhh Peugeots

Thread Information