Jump Starting a 306 GTI6
  • Register
  • Help

Default Jump Starting a 306 GTI6

This could be a really silly question but bear with me. My cars battery is totally flat. Can I use jumper leads on the 6 without causing any problems? is there any possibility that I could fry the electrics?

Advertisement

Thanks in advance.
    Toast, the best thing since sliced bread!

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning
    This could be a really silly question but bear with me. My cars battery is totally flat. Can I use jumper leads on the 6 without causing any problems? is there any possibility that I could fry the electrics?

Thanks in advance.
    place the leads on the battery negative first then positive then start the donor car and let it run for around 10-15 mins then shut it down and disconnect the leads positive first and start the pug

if the pug doesn't fire then place the leads back on again as explained above but place the negative on the engine, start the donor car and then jump in and start the pug then remove as above

this should prevent any spikes

then the next question is why is the battery dead ?

how old is the battery ?

306's tend to kill batteries due to heat and in summer i run without the battery box cover on the car to prolong the life of the battery but be sure if you do this to protect the terminals
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

XTC

No way of charging off the car ? Yes you can fry electrics, but it's not a hard and fast rule, seen plenty of cars jump started live .. never seen a dead one yet, despite the warnings, better to be safe then sorry, as Pugrambo said, charge for 15mins first, disconnect then try.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Thanks guys. The battery is dead as I have shipped the car from the UK. The car took 5 weeks to get here and then 6 weeks to get through customs! Total of 11 weeks without being started = flat battery.

I have to get a tow truck to pick the car up at the freight agents depot tomorrow and will then have to move the car into the space at home (ideally with the car running). Hence the jump start question. Very annoying.

The real problem is that I won't be around to do it as I am working interstate at the moment so I am getting my uncle to handle all of it for me.

I will disagree with your jumpstart method. The negative should go on last and removed first, connecting on a bare spot on the block, lifting lug etc. This positioning is to prevent a spark igniting hydrogen that the battery may be producing, when connectig or disconnecting.

Also the donor car should NOT be running, as the chance of spikes being transferred would be greater, although your battery works like a choke diminishing these. Also this stresses the alternator on the donor car while starting the sick one. The 350+ CCA of the donor cars' battery is hardly assisted by the 40 odd amps that the alternator might produce. Mostly jumper leads are of poor quality, and are unable to transfer this many amps without great voltage drop anyway.
    '56 Renault 750 (16TS Power)
    '62 Renault Dauphine Gordini
    '89 Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
    02 and 03 Renault Clios 1.4L
    '13 Renault Megane RS265 Trophee +

1000+ Posts

If it's that dead, 11 weeks worth, I'd say don't bother jump starting it. It's not going to charge properly anyway. Get yourself/borrow a trickle charger. Disconnect the battery/remove it from the car if you like and trickle charge it overnight.

Problem solved cos then you don't have to worry about spikes

Derek

Buy a set of spike protected leads to be sure. I have a set that will let you jump start a D9 Dozer. Driving around with them in the boot will cost you 1 - 2 litres per hundred You can usually get quality leads at rural shows the computer protection circuitry cost an extra 30$ making the leads about 130 or 150$ cant quite remember back to 2001.
    Neil
    '94 405 SRBT

'82 CX 2400 Pallas 5spd

'77 CX 2400 Pallas 4spd manual Import

'76 CX Super

'05 WL Statesman

'92 HZJ80 Landcruiser

If you're just after starting the car why don't you just push start it ? Since it's a manual car it's just the matter of putting it in 2nd gear, half clutch, push the car and start with the key...

anyway, i've jump started my gf's 306XR before, with my 206GTI:
    connection from donor's car -ve to target's engine block, usually there's a metal loop for this purpose, then donor car's +ve to target's +ve, start the engine of the donor car, then let it run for 5 minutes to charge, rev the engine above 4000rpm, keep it up and turn key to start ignition of target car, once that's started, turn on a/c on donor car to minimize potential difference, let both cars running for 3-5 minutes, then turn off donor car's ignition, take lead off reverse steps of how you put them on. Drive both cars for at least 15mins to charge.

My ECU reset after that coz the 306 really zaps a lot of power from it.

also , remembre NEVER turn on ANY lights or electricals except the heater, otherwise you'll short EVERYTHING !!!

good luck !

Jason
    Last edited by J206GTI; 21st May 2004 at 12:27 AM. Reason: wrong info
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

i'm sure it says somewhere in the handbook not to roll start these cars

i'm sure there is a reason for it

too much pressure on belts ?

no charge to the ECU ?

anyone know ?
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by J206GTI
    If you're just after starting the car why don't you just push start it ? Since it's a manual car it's just the matter of putting it in 2nd gear, half clutch, push the car and start with the key...

Jason
    that may prove to be a problem. If the battery is DEAD DEAD DEAD, the ECU will be just as dead and wont fire up the ignition, EFI etc. Jump starting works with batteries that wont crank but still give full instrumentation display.

Surge protectors can be purchased sepeately from jumper leads from most car shops, Target or BigW etc. Cheap protection.
    Personally I would be saving up for a new battery. 306's do use up batteries like they are disposable nappies to be changed daily. My car had 2 batterries fitted in 3 years. ...
    Last edited by tekkie; 20th May 2004 at 11:22 PM.
    1300cc's of jap buzzbox delivered the times below.

EC 1:54.6 , Wakefield 1:13.15 , OP (short) 52.00 , OP GP 1:24.40

Quote Originally Posted by tekkie
    that may prove to be a problem. If the battery is DEAD DEAD DEAD, the ECU will be just as dead and wont fire up the ignition, EFI etc. Jump starting works with batteries that wont crank but still give full instrumentation display.
    that's true, and in this case since the car has been sitting for so long with no action, it's probably a good idea to get a new battery. same as my gf's 306, it's been sitting in the yard for 1/2 year, we bought it and 3 weeks later the battery totally gave up, even when we arrived Regan's workshop here in Melb, the car won't even start in the carpark to get into the workshop !!

My car had 2 batterries fitted in 3 years. ...
    Are you sure it's not the alternator ??

Jason
    Jason

206 GTI MY01.5 Oversteer Edition

Myth Buster Logic : red cars go faster !!
    Red Car Bling factor :

XTC

Got roadside assist ... let them tell you if the battery is cactus ... At least they'll get the thing started for you.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Cheers. All very good advice. We are going to try and push it into place as the battery is totally dead I will then get a new battery on saturday morning as the current battery actually is about 3 years old. Less risk that way. The last thing I want to do is killl the electrics in the car.

306's are hard on batteries

i have had mine since new and it is now on it's 3rd battery

BTW it's a 98 model
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Just a note on push starting an EFI car with a totally dead battery- as well as the ECU not having power the fuel pump won't be able to prime the fuel rail up to pressure. So even if the ECU does happen to come to life there won't be much fuel for the engine to fire.

If the battery's only half dead (ie won't quite kick the starter over) then push starting will usually work as the fuel pump doesn't require much current compared to the starter and will already have got the pressure up.

The reason you're not supposed to push start is incase unburnt fuel goes down the exhaust and poisons the cat.
    David
    Former 306 S16 owner- now own a Mondeo ST24 V6

Thread Information