Wanted: All your knowledge on the 205 gti !!!
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon5 Wanted: All your knowledge on the 205 gti !!!

As a recent Aussie frogs addict, I'm not quite sure where to post this request, but here seemed like a pretty good spot !!! Please correct me if I'm wrong... Anyway, I'm basically wanting to pick your brains for all your knowledge about the legendary 205 GTI. After living in France for 12 months I fell in love with anything Peugeot. However, it was a late nite spin in my host brothers 205 GTI in the tiny back streets of Southern france that really got the blood pumping ! Basically I was hooked. So now Im back in Oz I want to get as much info about the 205 as I can before I buy my very first pug. I've got the latest Unique Cars magazine which was a big help but didn't contain anywhere near as much info as I would like ! Any info at all would be greatly appreciated !!!

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by SXY-205
    As a recent Aussie frogs addict, I'm not quite sure where to post this request, but here seemed like a pretty good spot !!! Please correct me if I'm wrong... Anyway, I'm basically wanting to pick your brains for all your knowledge about the legendary 205 GTI. After living in France for 12 months I fell in love with anything Peugeot. However, it was a late nite spin in my host brothers 205 GTI in the tiny back streets of Southern france that really got the blood pumping ! Basically I was hooked. So now Im back in Oz I want to get as much info about the 205 as I can before I buy my very first pug. I've got the latest Unique Cars magazine which was a big help but didn't contain anywhere near as much info as I would like ! Any info at all would be greatly appreciated !!!
    Where would you like to start? They're been many posts about the differences and benefits of the the various models available in Australia. Do an advanced search. Or, come to Oran Park this Sunday. There will be 4 running and plenty of grey matter to pick.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

I've got photocopies of tests, comparisons, moded cars, and articles from MOTOR, Wheels, Autocar (UK), MAXPOWER, Unique Cars etc.
    What were you after specifically?
    If you're a true Aussiefrog addict you could spend the next month reading all the articles here alone on the 205 GTI.
    If you plan to buy one do you intend to modify it?
    If so with what mods to achieve what purpose?
    What budget do you have?
    Will it be your daily driver or a weekend joy?
    You need to answer some of these questions to give direction in your search for info... because there is HEAPS out there.
    1991 Peugeot 205 GTi
    1989 Nissan R32 GT-R

Tadpole

I have an understanding of the basics of the GTI, eg what comes as standard, engine size etc. I've quite enjoyed reading through all the post on Aussie frogs, but like you said, I could sit here forever and still not read it all.
    I would like to know things like
    the difference between the "series" eg 1,2,3 etc
    mods made by peugeot between the Aussie release in 89 and when production ceased in 94.
    Also having driven a French pug, would I notice the loss of power due to the poor quality of oz fuel ?
    What's the availability of parts like ? It seems there's a limited number of Peugeot wreckers ???
    I also heard that the early pugs have a different stud pattern to most cars making it hard to find mag wheels etc ???

As far as buying one, what are common faults to look for in the pug ? I know rust is pretty rare but still not impossible ? Are there any specific weaknesses eg weak clutch or gear box ???

I can do anywhere up to 200kms a day for work. So, as much as I'd love to have it as a daily driver, I think that would be just plain cruel !!! Weekend driver it is !!! I'm not planning on doing any mods and would prefer to get a hold of one in concours condition or as close as possible???

Thread Information