505 windscreen wipers with mind of their own
  • Register
  • Help
    nJm

Default 505 windscreen wipers with mind of their own

I had this problem last year, and it has finally come back: Every now and then my windscreen wipers will turn on. Sometimes just for a single wipe while I'm driving. However say I turn them on intermittent wipe, they go into overdrive and will wipe at full speed and there is no way to stop it, other than turn off the car and hope it will be back to normal when you start it again.

I've discovered sometimes I can stop it by slamming my fist on the weather shield on the bonnet. Is the relay under there? Maybe it is getting water in it.

Thanks for any tips.

Advertisement
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

I've discovered sometimes I can stop it by slamming my fist on the weather shield on the bonnet. Is the relay under there? Maybe it is getting water in it.

There is no relay here just the motor. It could be a problem with the self parking mechanism which I think is inside the motor. This could be the result of water ingress or wear. Also check the wiring loom where it passes thru the plenum to the motor. If the grommet is in poor condition the wires may have worn thru causing an intermittant short. Otherwise it could be a faulty switch.
    I have spares of both still available for sale. Your quite welcome to borrow both items to see which is faulty and just buy what you require.

PS Do you still want the cloth for the drivers seat?

Jarrod

nJm

Sorry, I forgot all about that! I've been running around trying to get quotes for the crash damage to my car. I could drive out to see you on Sunday if you are available.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    Sorry, I forgot all about that! I've been running around trying to get quotes for the crash damage to my car. I could drive out to see you on Sunday if you are available.
    Should be ok.
    Give me a ring on 0401 773 815 before you leave

Jarrod

Thread Information