Hit and fail to stop
  • Register
  • Help

Default Hit and fail to stop

On Monday night I found my 505 GR about 10 feet further forward of where I
    had parked it. The car was partially up a neighbours drive way.
    It had been king hit from behind.

The boot was crushed forward from the number plate out to the right hand tail light.
    The impact was above the bumper bar.
    After the initial shock I picked up a number plate which was not mine.

After waiting two hours for the police to arrive they took my statement and the number plate.
    On their radio I heard the plate belongs to a red coloured Pajero from Yagoona.
    The cops said they would call yesterday with an event number but did not call.
    I called them for the number and was then told "don't call us. we'll call you"
    and that it may be some weeks!

Advertisement

So what am I up for as the car is now an economic write off.
    How do I pursue the matter if the cops leave on the side burner for several weeks?

Who is going to stop water getting into the boot if it should rain one day?
    I've only got third party property so would the insurance handle any of the dealings?
    Lastly, why didn't the driver stop and pay up?

Quote Originally Posted by PUG_504_505

The boot was crushed forward from the number plate out to the right hand tail light.

After waiting two hours for the police to arrive they took my statement and the number plate.

How do I pursue the matter if the cops leave on the side burner for several weeks?

I've only got third party property so would the insurance handle any of the dealings?
    Firstly get a tarp' to put over the boot or wotever.

Then contact a Lawyer. Things can take a while with the cops, but if there are several criminal charges to lay, they could move quicker. 1st criminal charge would be failing to stop at the scene of an accident, second is the driver was most likely drunk, but that can be hard to prove. The insurance will cover your damage. Do you know the name of the cop who took the statement? Maybe write a letter from your lawyer with a transcript of your statement and the officers involved, etc...
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

nJm

Are you sure about the insurance?

When my 505 got hit, my 3rd party insurance (through RACV) said the other person would have to lodge a claim through their comprehensive as my insurance would only cover the other guy if I had been at fault.

So unless you track down this person, you'll have to fix it up your self .

An old guy in an 80s Magna hit the back of my 505 GR once when it was parked in the street. Luckily the only damage to my car was the chrome strip in the bumper broke off in the corner. His magna required a new headlight and pannel beaten front guard.

I agree about getting a lawyer on your side. My recent accident was cleared up much faster after I got a lawyer (family member) to write up a letter of demand, etc.

If the 505 was your daily driver, it might help speed up the process (eg if your job relies on you having a car etc).
    Last edited by nJm; 19th May 2004 at 01:58 PM.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

I would say that I'm not covered in this instance for repairs but is it possible that the insurer would provide advice, access to their legal team, etc.

My reference to the rain getting in was a bit tongue in check.
    Just pissed off that I'm left holding the broken baby.
    No accountabilty.

Roughly I would say,
    Car value: $1500
    Repairs: $2000 to $3000

So if I can't get the offender to come to the party, I've got one
    for the wrecking yard.

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Yep,

sounds like you have your hands tied. A lot of insurance companies will cover you if you hit by an uninsured driver upto the value of $4,000. The only thing you need is the drivers name that was at fault. I doubt there rego will be enough

I think you'll find it extremely hard to do anything, even if you find the wank tanks driver, they'll probably deny they were driving and no it wasn't there (smashed) 4wd that hit you. Even though you have the numberplate they'll probably claim someone pinched the front numberplate off there wanktank (or something utterly ridiculous). Basically what you lack is any witnesses to the accident

I have no idea what I'd do in the same circumstances, I'd obiously be MUCH happier if I could find out where the wank tank is and who owns it (no, the police most likely will not tell you even though you have there rego number).

If I could find out where they live, I'd probably have a lawyer send 'em an intention to sue notification. They'd probably just ignore it (I would), after all the cost of chasing this through the courts far outways the value of your car.

However payback is always a b!tch

seeya,
    Shane L.

I would say that I'm not covered in this instance for repairs but is it possible that the insurer would provide advice, access to their legal team, etc.

My reference to the rain getting in was a bit tongue in check.
    Just pissed off that I'm left holding the broken baby.
    No accountabilty.

Roughly I would say,
    Car value: $1500
    Repairs: $2000 to $3000

So if I can't get the offender to come to the party, I've got one
    for the wrecking yard.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

What a bloody low life!!

Have you spoken to your insurance company yet? As mentioned, they will sometimes cover you if the other driver is at fault and uninsured (check your policy). Tell them the Police know who hit you and wont tell you - they will find out for you They will be able to offer good advice on your legal options too and should help with recovering costs once the prick who hit you is identified.

Also, go to one of those free legal advice places - they are quite helpful. I did that when I had issues with a car I bought (after been told by the RACV that it was a clear title) that turned out to stolen.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

XTC

On Monday night I found my 505 GR about 10 feet further forward of where I had parked it. The car was partially up a neighbours drive way.It had been king hit from behind.
    The fact you HAVE the possible offenders plate and they still can't find em' ... wowsers ... except it could have been a stolen car - that's why the police are taking longer as they have to sus it out (people report stolen cars after they have an accident to avoid liability).

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Fellow Frogger!

Hi PUG_405_505,
    I feel for you mate.
    Someone did a similar thing to my 205 GTI a couple of years ago.
    Because I could not identify the driver at fault I had to pay the excess ($600), but the worst thing which they failed to inform me at the time was that they knocked my insurance rating down which lead to increased premiums the next year. That year I had an accident and was knocked down 2 levels (single vehicle involving a guard rail)
    I received my renewal notice yesterday and it has increased 120% from last years premium.
    I sincerely hope you don't have a similar experience but it is something to be aware of.

Good luck and I curse c*nt who hit your beloved pug.
    1991 Peugeot 205 GTi
    1989 Nissan R32 GT-R

Same thing happened to me but not as much damage, the worst part for me was it was my mates subaru liberty.

I had parked the car in the second level carpark at Eastland shopping centre it's in Ringwood, some Victorians may be familiar.

The car was there for 2-3 hours, I returned to the car to find a considerable dent in the rear. On the windscreen was a note from someone who had witnessed the incident, I immediately rang them. They explained to me they saw a lady in a newish range rover reverse into the car and attempt to drive off, the guy managed to stop her, she explained to him that she was looking for somewhere else to park the car so she could stop and write a note, bullsh!t. He was in a rush and continued on the way, taking the ladies word that she would leave her details...he returned to his car and noticed there was no note so he left his details...he did not however write down registration and could not remember it, so really he wasn't much help.

Anyone familiar with Eastland would know there is quite a large police station opposite...so I went across the road and reported the incident. I was dealt with by one particular police woman who was in no way helpful. She said she would contact the next day to organise photos of the damage.

Did I hear from her? not a chance! after three more phone calls chasing up the incident i decided I'd just go back to the police station and mind you ringwood is not close to where I live (35 minute drive). I managed to get someone to talk to me and take the photos of the car..2 more days went past, still no word. Might I add if the issue wasn't resolved I would have to pay full price for the damage as it was my mates car...well, even if insurance could be wrangled somehow I would still be look at the excess all for someone smashing into me and then pissing off.

I rang the insurance company anyway...full comp, so made a claim and was up for the excess in the event the culprit is not found.

Quite peeved off by this stage I decided to take matters into my own hand and do some investigating, I contacted centre security (who quite opposite to the police) were very helpful...someone had reported the incident and given the vehicle rego...I thanked them and rang the insurance company and all they needed was the rego and they take it from there (once the identity of the other vehicle/incident details established) then the excess is removed.

As a matter of courtesy I contacted the original police women who was in charge of handling the incident,, this is the best bet, when I told her I had managed to find a witness and get the details of the hit and run driver and that I had reported it to the insurance company she had the nerve to have a go at me, saying "i'd jumped the gun"!!! Generally I'm a quite a passive person but this enraged me somewhat, afterall I was the victim in this situation, someone had hit my vehicle and drove off and now I was up for the cost of the damage they had caused and she has the nerve to have a go at me!!!

I reminded her of this and she contained herself and apologised. Quite rightfully!!!!!

I informed her that I wished for this incident to be followed up and for the culprit to be charged. Where they charged? Not likely, the women told police that she had left a note (contrary to the witness report mind you) and no charges were laid, she goes on her merry way!

FOR SALE 1995 PEUGEOT 306S16

Fellow Frogger!

jumpin_pug I witnessed a similar incident on my lunch break once where a lady in a Range Rover (coincidence?) reversed into a parked Bluebird. The driver got out, looked at the damage, got back into her car and drove off.
    I left a note on the windscreen of the Bluebird with a description of the accident, the time & place, a description of the lady, a description of her car & rego plates, and my name and contact number but I never heard anything more about it.
    I hope the lady got into some trouble over it!! Bitch.
    1991 Peugeot 205 GTi
    1989 Nissan R32 GT-R

Two things come to mind which in todays world may indicate the degree of science involved. If you have the time and persistance, covering the dent with clear plastic to maintain the "crime scene" and if present collect any paint residue of different colours. This can be analysed to provide the make and model (and possibly the year) of use and can be batch matched to the offending vehicle.
    The other vehicle will have residue from your vehicle ( Newtons law of transference) so composite matches can be done.

From all searches you ( or your legal councel ) should be able to establish the other party involved and then a letter of demand served on them should start the ball rolling.

Some years back I heard of a "friend" who had an altercation with the owner of a certain well known car yard, who failed to come good following promisses after a similar prang, and so after a protracted time, retribution was extracted in the form of a water pistol filled with brake fluid .......................

now I in no way condone such behavior ...............
    all standard disclaimers apply...............

Sounds like it's time for the 'rambo to explain how much more damage milk can do than brake fluid...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Whitton
    Two things come to mind which in todays world may indicate the degree of science involved. If you have the time and persistance, covering the dent with clear plastic to maintain the "crime scene" and if present collect any paint residue of different colours. This can be analysed to provide the make and model (and possibly the year) of use and can be batch matched to the offending vehicle.
    The other vehicle will have residue from your vehicle ( Newtons law of transference) so composite matches can be done.

From all searches you ( or your legal councel ) should be able to establish the other party involved and then a letter of demand served on them should start the ball rolling.

Some years back I heard of a "friend" who had an altercation with the owner of a certain well known car yard, who failed to come good following promisses after a similar prang, and so after a protracted time, retribution was extracted in the form of a water pistol filled with brake fluid .......................

now I in no way condone such behavior ...............
    all standard disclaimers apply...............
    G'day mate, this is kinda a misnomer, whilst vehicles paint can be analysed for forensic purposes, it can be hard to trace it back to one particular vehicle, ie. if the thisperson has a history of crashing cars then there paint on there car will not be the original paint the manafacturers usd to paint that vehicle. So a paint sample from you car and a paint sample from there car is needed to correctly identitify or eliminate that car from the accident. The paint information will not really give you a make and model like on CSI but it will give you a manafacturer, this is because of the different materials they use in the paints and paint substrates. "The other vehicle will have residue from your vehicle ( Newtons law of transference) so composite matches can be done." Whilst you have the theory correct which is and touch between any material will leave a transference in some way, it definately wasnt a law of newton, that would be Lochards principle. Sorry I kinda made this into a rant about basic forensics but people need to know so they can't go running to the wollopers with ideas and such of CSI....
    Thankyou for your time...
    Troy
    Buzzed 405...Got a problem?

G'day Troy, without referreing to the "Hollywood Forensics" ( don't knock it : it has increased our Forensic Science Degree student intake), what I was suggesting that both IR and mass spec will give comparative analyses of the batches. IR ageing and oxidation will be specific to each vehicle so each will have it's own signature.
    I doubt whether the Divn Analytical LAbs here would be so inclined to undertake this level of testing nor do most people have the resources.
    Not too many folks would be familar with our friend Dalton but would recognise Newton as a theorist and make a connection..

Some of CSI is science......some is a bit loose.......the rest is just crap.

XTC

Can't be as bad as the medical programs (ER etc) they are SO wrong .. we just have to laugh sometimes.

Anyway it's a car accident .. not a murder investigation so i doubt the police will even bother to look twice .. hey they didn't come the scene did they ???

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

G'day Troy, without referreing to the "Hollywood Forensics" ( don't knock it : it has increased our Forensic Science Degree student intake), what I was suggesting that both IR and mass spec will give comparative analyses of the batches. IR ageing and oxidation will be specific to each vehicle so each will have it's own signature.
    I doubt whether the Divn Analytical LAbs here would be so inclined to undertake this level of testing nor do most people have the resources.
    Not too many folks would be familar with our friend Dalton but would recognise Newton as a theorist and make a connection..

Yeah I know it is based on the science of the fact, I'm well into a degree in Forensic Investigation... The IR- Raman will give the best comparative analysis that is non destructive to any paint sample, including any layer, within that sample. With the means of using an IR machine as a presumptive comparison between the two paint chips (which takes literally seconds). These tests can then go onto the further tests such as Gas Chromatography, which take a little more time, and a few more resources. These techniques will always be available to the general public if asked for by an appropriate person. If there is any doubt about the fact that the two vehicles did collide (which can normally be told just by looking at the damaged areas) then the police of the area should take these steps to make sure an appropriate conclusion can be made.
    With the not to many ppl being familiar with Dalton, I would have to be one of them I mean it was Edmond Locard, (frenchman by the way) came up with Locard's exchange principle. There was a Francis Galton, but he was into the study of Finger prints. Throwing in random names to get people to make a connection is I think a very bad way of getting people who are Lay in some areas, to understand what that area is actually about.

Troy
    Buzzed 405...Got a problem?

Bastards. This happened to me years ago.
    It was a new $70000 Alfa 164 (in 1990). Parked under a streetlight in Fitzroy while I had dinner.
    Returning to the car it was no longer under the streetlight, but 10 metres up the street, and it was vandal scratched all the way round, BEFORE it got smashed.
    Mistaken identity I assumed.

It had been king hit from behind. :(

Is there an up date to this? Sorry for your loss.
    Cheers Simon
    >8-]

Rendezvous Adelaide 2005

Polo Green '01 406 Coupe (5spd Man)
    Tuscany Green '00 206 GTi (Croaked!)

My Flickr Photos

206gti.net
    peugeot-206gti
    peugeot-307
    peugeot-407
    peugeotclub.asn.au

Thread Information