Buying a second hand motor
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By David Cavanagh
  • 2 Post By SLC206

Thread: Buying a second hand motor

Default Buying a second hand motor

How do these wreckers know if there motor is compatible with my car, they always ask for the VIN, they seem to have some program or web site which sells them if the VIN’s are compatible

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Letters 6-7-8 of the VIN describe the engine type. That's the main thing. The last group of numbers gives the position in the production if there are minor changes. They also have the same access to the Peugeot service part numbers online we all have.

Fellow Frogger!

Is this thread about a motor or an engine? There is a big difference as a friend of mine found out in the early days of his apprenticeship. He removed the engine, but the boss had wanted the motor out and waited till he finished so the lad would learn the difference and never forget it. Wound up being a very mechanic.
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by 207ccRipper View Post
    How do these wreckers know if there motor is compatible with my car, they always ask for the VIN, they seem to have some program or web site which sells them if the VIN’s are compatible

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    We have a saying that Peugeot never built the same car twice so therefore the VIN is the only way of telling which parts are compatible with your car.
    We go onto the Peugeot website and that tells us more about your car than you'll ever know.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

1000+ Posts

Heaven help Kelpiebat's boss if he reads the French manuals- the whole thing there is a moteur.

The words are from Latin via French - movere - to move.; perfect tense motus. Ingenium - talent, ability. Motor came to English with the sense of initiating movement or action, while Engine became a contrivance. A mediaeval engineer built military devices.

The two words have now essentially merged.

Quote Originally Posted by kelpiebat View Post
    Is this thread about a motor or an engine? There is a big difference as a friend of mine found out in the early days of his apprenticeship. He removed the engine, but the boss had wanted the motor out and waited till he finished so the lad would learn the difference and never forget it. Wound up being a very mechanic.
    Cheers.
    I remember the days when you could buy a replacement or reconditioned motor - described as being either a long motor or a short motor, based on what peripherals it came with essentially. But I'm intrigued - for the purposes of your story, what is the difference between an engine and a motor in this context?
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    I remember the days when you could buy a replacement or reconditioned motor - described as being either a long motor or a short motor, based on what peripherals it came with essentially. But I'm intrigued - for the purposes of your story, what is the difference between an engine and a motor in this context?
    A motor is electrical as in wiper motor, starter motor etc.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

Makes sense. But in kelpiebat's example, the boss clearly didn't specify which motor he wanted removed if that's the case. So he brought it on himself to some extent.

Why then did the long and short MOTOR definition become industry standard if it was indeed the ENGINE?
    KB

Quote Originally Posted by renault8&10 View Post
    Makes sense. But in kelpiebat's example, the boss clearly didn't specify which motor he wanted removed if that's the case. So he brought it on himself to some extent.

Why then did the long and short MOTOR definition become industry standard if it was indeed the ENGINE?
    That I don't know but I use to work with an old mechanic who would tell us off if we called an engine a motor so just to annoy him we'd call starter motors starting engines and wiping engines and he'd get annoyed.
    hypermiler likes this.
    David Cavanagh

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

I'm just about to buy a new motor for my boat. It is not a motor boat or even an engine boat , but a sail boat...
    Motor or engine, the term stink boat still fits.

Have we all got it wrong, am I actually buying an outboard engine????
    Jo

Quote Originally Posted by jo proffi View Post
    I'm just about to buy a new motor for my boat. It is not a motor boat or even an engine boat , but a sail boat...

Jo
    Dunno.

Will you take it on board ?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Fellow Frogger!

Jo
    Depends I guess on whether your boat will be enginised or motorised after you install it.
    206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Oil cooler, Quaife LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:40.2
    Wakefield - 1:13.5
    Phillip Island - 1:58.4
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

Fellow Frogger!

As we all know advertisers use a lot of dictionary licence to sell whatever crap they want to. And by so doing they subvert the correct language. Mr google says that the intermixing of engine and motor occurred when the first internal engines were referred to as motors to identify them as being different from steam engines which were very popular at the time. Since then the terminology has generally adjusted to an engine combusting its own fuel whilst a motor relies upon an external source of power.
    I'll rest my case on the non-existence of the term, electric engine. Cheers and happy Peuging.

Long live the motor car!!!!

Long live the motor car!!!!
    With an internal combustion engine?
    BIGRR and David Cavanagh like this.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Actually an engine is a type of motor. (A motor is a source of motive power.)

Thread Information