MysteryBox Rally 2018 - the 505 GTI rides again !
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 16 of 16
Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By thatguy
  • 2 Post By thatguy
  • 1 Post By thatguy

Thread: MysteryBox Rally 2018 - the 505 GTI rides again !

  1. #1
    Member thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    100

    Default MysteryBox Rally 2018 - the 505 GTI rides again !

    This didn't seem to fit a motorsport forum so adding here.

    Last year I grabbed Parry's Shitbox Rally conquering 1985 505 GTI when it was advertised here.

    After little more than a clean, engine oil change and a new coat of chalkboard paint it completed the 2017 MysteryBox Rally in November last year in a canter. We were one of only 3 Frenchies in that event with the Renault and our Pug finishing but the Citroen failing to do so after apparently spitting a driveshaft out at high speed !

    Over the 5 days of the rally we took in the farthest reaches on NSW and corners of SA & QLD with the the 505 taking everything in its stride. It was often complimented on the comfort it provided over the harsh roads when we had to given other stricken drivers lifts etc. The chalkboard paint proved both durable and a hit with everyone leaving their marks along the way.

    A few happy snaps from last years event can be found on our instagram page here www.instagram.com/sunday_drivers_mbr

    Fast forward 12 months and we're doing it again in the 2018 event starting this weekend in Mildura. We will aim to update our Instagram page over the journey (where and if mobile service allows) and will provide updates here if possible too. Just noticed from the teams list there appears another Peugeot entry (B1 B2 Gunnando) this year which is great.

    Obviously the MysteryBox and ShitBox events are centred on raising much needed funds for cancer research so if you feel so inclined you can make a contribution to our team on this page - https://2018.mystery-box.com.au/sunday-drivers

    Thanks - Ben
    Sunday Drivers

    Advertisement


    MysteryBox Rally 2018 - the 505 GTI rides again !-pugmbr2017.jpg

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger! DanielBendigo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Bendigo
    Posts
    656

    Default

    MysteryBox Rally 2018 - the 505 GTI rides again !-1539808567107.jpg

    Got to see what the underside of my old Clio looked like on Shitbox Rally this year. RHS suspension collapsed and rock took out sump. But they got it going in triage that night. Just no hoist so had to get rolled over to work underneath.

    Sadly I didn't get to go on it with the car. A mate I met on Shitbox Rally last year couldn't get his through RWC so gave him this to take. He was support in the Triton on lady years Mysterybox.

    Next day (after repairs) going into camp both sides front suspension collapsed and car dead. Sadly a 270,000km old French hatchback destined for the wreckers can't hack it on 3500km outback trip.

    I'm doing Shitbox Rally next year, hopefully in a Ford Focus if we can get it on the road under the $1k.

    Good luck and enjoy the trip!

    Sent from my GT-I9505 using aussiefrogs mobile app

  3. #3
    Member thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    100

    Default

    The 505 didn't have a happy ending to this rally.

    Running like an absolute dream and floating over the rough Outback roads, it succumbed to what appears to be the tailshaft inner spline stripping at the gearbox end.

    Lost all drive over a ridge. Appears the constant bouncing and jumps on cattle grids etc was the culprit as the lower flange bolts were loose as we inspected that evening in triage. Despite looking like we had a fix it wouldn't hold and the prospect of a fuller teardown in the dirt campgrounds wasn't an option.

    She's parked up and will be towed back to do it all again in the 2019 Shitbox from Melbourne to Townsville !

    The 405SRDT suffered a very large hole (at least four fingers big apparently) in the sump on the very rocky section on the same day we had our issues. The rally mechanical team worked wonders cutting and welding a huge new section through the night so the girls could finish the event ... 50% finish rate for the Pugs this rally

    In the spirit of the event we jumped into other cars within our Buddy Group to finish the event. Huge thanks to the 2bees and TestEagles for letting us tag along.

    To show these events bring out the best in everyone one of the other teams (Starsky and Hutch) gave us their Corolla after the event so we could drive the 1000kms back to Sydney #legends

    Plenty of pics on the Instagram link above of the amazing country covered
    Last edited by thatguy; 25th October 2018 at 08:36 AM.
    SilverGTi_6 and DanielBendigo like this.

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger! Ceenine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Devonport, Holiday Coast
    Posts
    455

    Default

    Thanks for sharing, looks lie a fabulous event - great to be involved in.
    Don
    2014 C5 2.2 HDI Limited Edition Sedan
    2007 C5 2.2 HDI Hatchback
    2007 C4 1.6 HDI EGS Sedan
    Peugeot Mi16 Series 2

  5. #5
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    8,877

    Default

    The 405 didn't have a sump guard?

    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    The 505 didn't have a happy ending to this rally.

    Running like an absolute dream and floating over the rough Outback roads, it succumbed to what appears to be the tailshaft inner spline stripping at the gearbox end.

    Lost all drive over a ridge. Appears the constant bouncing and jumps on cattle grids etc was the culprit as the lower flange bolts were loose as we inspected that evening in triage. Despite looking like we had a fix it wouldn't hold and the prospect of a fuller teardown in the dirt campgrounds wasn't an option.

    She's parked up and will be towed back to do it all again in the 2019 Shitbox from Melbourne to Townsville !

    The 405SRDT suffered a very large hole (at least four fingers big apparently) in the sump on the very rocky section on the same day we had our issues. The rally mechanical team worked wonders cutting and welding a huge new section through the night so the girls could finish the event ... 50% finish rate for the Pugs this rally

    In the spirit of the event we jumped into other cars within our Buddy Group to finish the event. Huge thanks to the 2bees and TestEagles for letting us tag along.

    To show these events bring out the best in everyone one of the other teams (Starsky and Hutch) gave us their Corolla after the event so we could drive the 1000kms back to Sydney #legends

    Plenty of pics on the Instagram link above of the amazing country covered

  6. #6
    Fellow Frogger! SilverGTi_6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    817

    Default

    That's a pity, thanks for sharing though. Glad it'll be back for another year.
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Citroen C4 VTS

    Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

  7. #7
    1000+ Posts Beano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,867

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post

    Running like an absolute dream and floating over the rough Outback roads, it succumbed to what appears to be the tailshaft inner spline stripping at the gearbox end.

    Lost all drive over a ridge. Appears the constant bouncing and jumps on cattle grids etc was the culprit as the lower flange bolts were loose as we inspected that evening in triage. Despite looking like we had a fix it wouldn't hold and the prospect of a fuller teardown in the dirt campgrounds wasn't an option.

    She's parked up and will be towed back to do it all again in the 2019 Shitbox from Melbourne to Townsville !
    Those lower flange bolts are a problem....one of the very few problems 505s have. And although many of us have thought that just doing them up after discovering they have sagged, it never works for long. They always fail later.
    Loktite is of course an answer, but I have occasionally also wondered about some kind of locking tab arrangement, even though the allen-headed bolts have round heads.

    Leon (Dieselman) had his prop shaft go a while back.

  8. #8
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    8,877

    Default

    Nothing to do with the jumps, this happens a bit. Could be due to rough driving in the past or lack of lubrication on the splines. The 404s and earlier didn't have the problem nearly as much as they had larger splines and also plenty of oil leaked through from the diff seal which was a plastic disc, spring loaded onto a flat metal surface, not a lip seal.
    You can usually tell if the splines are on their way out as the transmission will feel clunky.

  9. #9
    Member thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Dean - Yes the event is a great way to support a worthwhile charity, drive outback roads and see parts of the country you'd never otherwise visit. You also meet some crazy characters and car people along the way too! The event stops over in remote communities for the nights and those communities do a fantastic job of hosting. Innaminka, for example, has less than 20 people, but they hosted a memorable meal and evening for 300+ people. For them, it brings some money to the community too as they get paid a catering and camping fee as well as selling a healthy amount of refreshments to the thirsty crowd for the evening. Highly recommend it if you get a chance.

    Graham - 405 didn't have a sump guard ... many cars didn't and there were plenty of punctured sumps and fuel tanks. The 405 also sat low at the rear with all their gear onboard ... must have dragged its bum on some of those rough roads. The 505's gearbox always had a little clunk, but it had done 400000kms and two prior events. With the benefit of hindsight, it could have been prudent to do a teardown, inspection and regrease.

    Beano - The 505 is the ideal car for the event. They're reliable, ride beautifully over the rough roads and very comfortable. Parry did a great job of prepping it when he had it. Once the car is back and the gearbox/tailshaft fixed (rest assured there'll be liberal Loctite and we'll drill the bolts heads to fit safety/twist wires as extra security) there are only 3 things we'll do to it ... slightly firmer front springs to raise it a touch (rears were done by Parry) replace the bashplate as it's taken a pounding and get the AC sorted. Touchwood the car should then be ready many more tours.

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Avisford NSW
    Posts
    522

    Default

    If the splines are gone at the gearbox have a very close look at the mainshaft before you fit a new shaft which I can supply you.

  11. #11
    1000+ Posts parry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    1,322

    Default

    Ben, great to hear that Pearle will be recovered. Agree, its such a great car on the rough stuff. Did you ever sort out the headlights, they were so dim, I think they need to be rewired direct with thicker gauge wire.
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

    PBs:

    Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

  12. #12
    VIP Sponsor
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Posts
    8,877

    Default

    405 is a great rough road car but you do need underbody protection, fuel lines and tank, as well as a sump guard.

    Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    Dean - Yes the event is a great way to support a worthwhile charity, drive outback roads and see parts of the country you'd never otherwise visit. You also meet some crazy characters and car people along the way too! The event stops over in remote communities for the nights and those communities do a fantastic job of hosting. Innaminka, for example, has less than 20 people, but they hosted a memorable meal and evening for 300+ people. For them, it brings some money to the community too as they get paid a catering and camping fee as well as selling a healthy amount of refreshments to the thirsty crowd for the evening. Highly recommend it if you get a chance.

    Graham - 405 didn't have a sump guard ... many cars didn't and there were plenty of punctured sumps and fuel tanks. The 405 also sat low at the rear with all their gear onboard ... must have dragged its bum on some of those rough roads. The 505's gearbox always had a little clunk, but it had done 400000kms and two prior events. With the benefit of hindsight, it could have been prudent to do a teardown, inspection and regrease.

    Beano - The 505 is the ideal car for the event. They're reliable, ride beautifully over the rough roads and very comfortable. Parry did a great job of prepping it when he had it. Once the car is back and the gearbox/tailshaft fixed (rest assured there'll be liberal Loctite and we'll drill the bolts heads to fit safety/twist wires as extra security) there are only 3 things we'll do to it ... slightly firmer front springs to raise it a touch (rears were done by Parry) replace the bashplate as it's taken a pounding and get the AC sorted. Touchwood the car should then be ready many more tours.

  13. #13
    1000+ Posts Beano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,867

    Default

    505s are FANTASTIC cars offroad ! My old one got taken to all sorts of places than ordinarily only a 4wd would go.
    My "newer" 505 has been sitting outside my house unused, so will be very reluctantly advertised soon, if anyone in Brisbane wants an auto.

  14. #14
    Member thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by parry View Post
    Ben, great to hear that Pearle will be recovered. Agree, its such a great car on the rough stuff. Did you ever sort out the headlights, they were so dim, I think they need to be rewired direct with thicker gauge wire.
    Parry - yes it floats across the dirt roads and it will be back ! Working through logistics now.

    As to the headlights hadn't done anything about them as it was rarely, if ever, driven at night but you're right they need work. A rewire plus new LED bulbs should solve it ! The spotlights you fitted do illuminate everything on high beam.

    Also you'd be happy to know we replaced the anemic horn with a 50cm airhorn ... makes quite the noise now !
    parry likes this.

  15. #15
    1000+ Posts parry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sydney Australia
    Posts
    1,322

    Default

    That ebay horn I had worked for about 5mins on the dirt!
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

    PBs:

    Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Gympie QLD
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    505s are FANTASTIC cars offroad ! My old one got taken to all sorts of places than ordinarily only a 4wd would go.
    My "newer" 505 has been sitting outside my house unused, so will be very reluctantly advertised soon, if anyone in Brisbane wants an auto.
    Did you end up selling the 505 Beano ? if not what are the details ?
    Brian

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •