205 Gearbox Whine (slight)
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 Gearbox Whine (slight)

Hi Guys,

My 205 is starting to exibit a slight whine in 4th and 5th gear only when under load...

Is this normal? any suggestions?

I'm planning to add some Nulon G70 additive to the gearbox and the gear oil is 15,000 k's old... (Syntrax)

Thanks
    Justin

Advertisement
    Pugsley The 1987 205 GTi Peugeot

That'll just be the gearbox whining.... forgetaboutit.
    Is it on acceleration or deceleration? Or all the time(a bearing).??

Quote Originally Posted by Warwick
    That'll just be the gearbox whining.... forgetaboutit.
    Is it on acceleration or deceleration? Or all the time(a bearing).??

Tends to be on accel only.. with a very minor whine when crusing.. off throttle it is ok...I think.. (I'll have to check tonight).

Justin

Sounds like the preload on the final drive but it could & probably will just go for years and "may" get a bit louder. It may also just be a bit low on oil.

A lot of these transmissions I find are underfilled particularly if your car has been garage serviced. (Car on hoist; level plug out. finger in; comes out a bit oily looking. "She'll be right." type of thing)
    Doa total drain, add the G70 to the first litre you put in & carefully keep filling until oil is just dribbling out of filller/level hole on the side. It's amazing how many weird noises and gear change improvements that stuff makes.

I've had boxes (my 16V for example) that were down to 300 mls & the car was serviced a week before I bought it!!

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

G'Day Allan,

Thanks for the reply.

I filled the box myself with exactly 2 x 1 litre bottles of syntrax. There could be a small leak that I don't know about, but I park my car in the same spot at home and I've never seen a drip, so the level should be good.

Perhaps the oil is just old and needs to be replaced and G70 might make it better again.

I'd go the ol' redline oil, but that is very expensive I've used redline before in my VR4 and it did wonders

Quote Originally Posted by Alan S
    Sounds like the preload on the final drive but it could & probably will just go for years and "may" get a bit louder. It may also just be a bit low on oil.

A lot of these transmissions I find are underfilled particularly if your car has been garage serviced. (Car on hoist; level plug out. finger in; comes out a bit oily looking. "She'll be right." type of thing)
    Doa total drain, add the G70 to the first litre you put in & carefully keep filling until oil is just dribbling out of filller/level hole on the side. It's amazing how many weird noises and gear change improvements that stuff makes.

I've had boxes (my 16V for example) that were down to 300 mls & the car was serviced a week before I bought it!!

Alan S

Pay the money and put the Redline in- you won't regret it. I just put the Shockproof lightweight into my Feroza's gearbox; it's done a few km's and had never been serviced properly before I bought it- so the gearbox is worn, noisy and grated in some gears on cold mornings.

I had been using a mix of Castrol VMX80 and Dexron ATF; but it was still only just driveable on cold mornings and noisy- so put the Shockproof in two weeks ago. Out of gear when idling the noise would be about 1/10th as loud as before; an in gear whining/ grating noise has almost vanished. Cold morning shifts are also silky smooth and in general it has transformed the gearbox.

The best $64 I've ever spent! (costs $32 per litre)
    David
    Former 306 S16 owner- now own a Mondeo ST24 V6

Thread Information