bad 307 transmission
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default bad 307 transmission

i bought a peugeot 307 with manual transmission last december and it rattles and vibrates at 2100 rpm / 30 kmh, does anyone know about this ?

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Tell us more and we might be able to help you.

Engine?
    Model of car?
    Petrol?
    Diesel?

Keep in mind only 1.6L, 2L and 2L HDi 90hp are sold in Australia, so we may not even have your model here...

If it's 2L, check out the vibration topic at http://www.206gti.net because the 206GTi has the same engine.

Derek

Tadpole

Default bad 307 transmission

Thank's for your time and help

Engine 2.0 16v, petrol
    Peugot 307, 2003

I did review this page, but this car is not making noise, it makes the dashboard and the whole central panel vibrate sideways.
    I believe its a faulty transmission since its only at that speed and rpm's

nJm

It could be the exhaust. I know in my 505 that I had a really annoying vibration that would only happen at 2600rpm. It was because one of the exhaust mounts wasn't fitted correctly.

If it was a gearbox problem I would have thought there would be other signs, or maybe it would only happen in one gear.
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jorgebad307
    I believe its a faulty transmission since its only at that speed and rpm's
    What gear?

I'd be inclined to think it's some sort of resonance that gets up and going at those particular revs. Either that, or you've broken an engine mount? Do you do the traffic light grand prix regularly? ie lots of revs, side step the clutch?

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by DeKa
    What gear?

I'd be inclined to think it's some sort of resonance that gets up and going at those particular revs. Either that, or you've broken an engine mount? Do you do the traffic light grand prix regularly? ie lots of revs, side step the clutch?

Derek
    If it's a 307, fairly new, do you have a warranty? If so, don't worry, just claim!!! And do it now. But keep a close eye on the process....

If no warranty, it needs diagnosis and sounds like something like a broken mount or something very ugly in the drive train. I'd get it checked very carefully and very quickly in case whatever is loose/cracked/vibrating comes apart completely and either does serious damage or causes a loss of control - you could kill someone!

Good luck

JohnW

Anyone else have problems with their 307's? We just hired one in Tassie for a couple of weeks & I was very dissapointed by it. It was a 1.6L manual with only 28,000km on it & the clutch seemed to be slipping particularly in 1st to 2nd & 2nd to 3rd. The gearbox just didnt feel "sorted" properly. It also had an electrical glitch whereby the rear passenger side door wouldnt open for 4 days when c/locking was activated but it eventualy just fixed itself...oh & the indicators were not self cancelling either. Things like that would piss me right off if I had just forked out $26,000 for a car. I know it was a hire car, thereby being driven a bit harder than usual, but it still seemed dodgey. Then again my Xsara has had a couple of electrical glitches also but mine is pre multi-plex wiring. Engine was very underpowered & not good enough for Australia IMHO, the 1.8L Xsara feels like a sports car compared. I would definetely get the 2L. I test drove a 2L a few months ago BTW & that had none of these problems so it may have just been a one of?
    1972 DS Pallas
    2015 Clio
    2012 DS4
    Simca Arondes (travaux en cours)
    Lotus Elise Club Racer '12

In WA? Join THE club ! www.frenchandfantastic.com.au

Hi there jorgebad307,
    I too have the same vehicle as you do, and i experienced the same problems. I brought it into the dealer and it was repaired. The cause of the rattling noises is because the 4 pipes in the exhaust manifold make contact with each other resulting in the rattling at low revs.

The official fix by peugeot is just to 'weld' the 4 pipes together.

Hope this helps!

Tim

Tadpole

No. no grand prix at the light, the car has been doing this since day one, i have complained since january and Peugeot is not doing anything.
    This car uses standard like US gasoline, i dont know if this makes any deifference, but Peugeot is acting as if they are aware of this defect.
    I have driven another Peugeot 307 with the same transmission the vibrations is also noticeable, only not as much, but it it getting worse, now the whole panel is begining to make noises, as with every vibration...

Thread Information