404 engine rebuild or...?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ianrobbo

Thread: 404 engine rebuild or...?

Tadpole

Default 404 engine rebuild or...?

Hello all, 1970 NZ assembled sedan in tidy condition that looks like now needs engine rebuild as oil fouling 2 of the spark plugs. Not burning oil or using too much. Ideas of cost to rebuild in NZ or should I just grab one from a wreck or go the 504 change out route? Can do engine swap at home, canít do rebuild at home as thatís too hard for me. Or...just pop hotter plugs in and live with it?

Advertisement

If it's late model car ie 68,69, 70, with a BA7 gearbox I'd go the 2L engine from a 504 or early 505 route.

Rebuilding XN engines properly is an expensive exercise.

The caveat is, do you want to keep the car completely original ?

I'd suggest fitting the donor cars radiator to your 404 as well.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

Before all this hard work, try changing oil and filter and use best quality Synthetic oil
    The engine is probably using oil but does not show on dipstick as it is full of waste petrol and carbon products building up.
    Take on a long run and it will probably all burn off and show lower level on dip stick

Hotter plugs can actually destroy the engine as good as many

https://www.ngk.com/learning-center/...or---do-i-need

Fellow Frogger!

The best replacement would be a 1.8 504 motor but a 2litre will also work but the 404 gearing means you are running at fairly high revs /fuel consumpsion with more power.
    Peter Chisholm and Dano like this.

An 1800 engine would be ideal.

But they are as rare as rocking horse poop in good condition. FWIW piston liner sets are expensive. And the valve train is usually stuffed because 1800 engines like to rev.

I fully reconditioned an 1800 engine 5 or 6 years and it cost close $2k in machining and parts. Including hard seats in the head.

I wouldn't do again: I'd fit a 2L motor next time.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

Fellow Frogger!

If replacing the engine try to ascertain that replacement is in good serviceable condition. Many 504 engines are now getting 'long in the tooth' with advanced electrolysis of the cylinder head.

The 1.6/ 1.8 is a smoother motor than the 2 litre

Bon Chance

Tadpole

Thank you everyone, since then the fuel pump died while away for romantic weekend. New pump sourced from Franzose but now we are getting no spark so the dizzy looks like a fault as well. Luckily died in a country town with old school mechanics.

Thread Information