205 rear reflector remount - how?
  • Register
  • Help

Default 205 rear reflector remount - how?

Hey all,

My red "205 Gti" rear reflector panel was doing the usual thing of falling off slowly. Seeing as I was having nightmares about pieces of red plastic trailing into the distance in my rear view mirror, I decided to take it off. It has a couple of small cracks but my chances of getting a replacement are slim (yes, I am miffed that I missed out on the panel on ebay just last week). So, I want to put the same one back on.

My question is: Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do a good job of securing it? Something better than the double sided tape that's on there maybe? If anyone suggests "liquid nails", I will not find that funny. I didn't laugh the first time someone suggested it either!

Advertisement

And just for anyone that might want to know.... I took it off using fishing line, which was a suggestion of an AFer somewhere on here. That works OK except when you get to each of the four metal tabs (mounts for the early grey panel?) Getting over them is a bit of a pain, especially when lifting the panel increases the chance of cracking. I used an old school thin razor blade to get a bit of a start. I didn't damage the duco, but I am wearing a band-aid today .

Also, if anyone has any ideas about arresting the propagation of existing cracks, I would welcome them eagerly!

Cheers,
    Pete
    ------------------------------
    '88 205GTi

The only way is to use double sided tape.

But don't go to Crazy clints and spend 5 cents getting it. Go to a signage company like DeNeefes in Qbn or a panel beater and get good 3M quality stuff.

Also when you are applying it think about water and how it is going to get out the bottom. I ran a solid strip along the top edge of mine and only 50% along the bottom so the thing could breathe and expel water.
    Once they crack thats it I'm afraid.

Also clean it and the rear panel with Prepsol or a grease remover type solution available at Supercheap (but don't get the tape from them!)

Is your car white per chance in Griffith?

Ian.

Thanks for that, I'll get onto it soon. It just doesn't look the same with nothing across the back.

I'm a Chapman boy with a silver pug. I think you're thinking of the one with the white wheels? Is yours the red s2 with the wing? It's been a while since I've seen that one.

Cheers,
    Pete
    ------------------------------
    '88 205GTi

I had a red S3 but upgraded to a 2001 206Gti in Moonstone.
    Love the 205's still though.

ian

Thread Information