• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Weird oil substance on passenger front floor - Wt??? 307

Tadpole

Icon9 Weird oil substance on passenger front floor - Wt??? 307

Hi All

Advertisement

Baffled by this issue. Peugeot 307 2007 wagon petrol. Few weeks back I noticed the passenger front carpet was wet only on the actual floor (under your feet) not under the seat, not up towards the engine bay. Wet - as in very wet - a clear, oil substance that has no smell. Feels kind of like baby oil. I had been hauling around heaps of groceries and thought something must have spilled. However after sopping this stuff up for 3-4 days with paper towel and a weight on top of it - kinda just stopped. There are no warning lights on my dash, no performance issues, running like a dream. Now, the weird stuff is back. I dropped into my Peugeot dealer as I have it booked in next week to do the timing chain - showed them the issue - they were also stumped. They suspected something to do with the A/C and overflows etc, I questioned - wouldn't that be watery?? This is definitely oil - when it gets on your skin it gets itchy and irritated real fast - definitely not water.The oil is back and I am at a loss to understand where on earth it could be coming from and what kind of issue I could be dealing with. Does anyone have an idea??

1000+ Posts

How does the AC cooling perform? Get under the glovebox and look at the fittings.
    CEyssens likes this.

1000+ Posts

Any change in the level of brake or clutch fluid if it is not and auto?

1000+ Posts

I recall that when i replaced an air con compressor it had oil in it for lubrication ,along with the gas ,i would imagine if this was leaking out so would the gas ,air con wouldnt work ,ask your air con guy ,pugs

Fellow Frogger!

only a very small ammount of oil in an aircon system it would not make a puddle

Heater core orings

So you're saying the oily substance is coolant of some type ? Don't they usually smell sweet ? Mind you, I am not a connoisseur of coolant aromas...

The area of the passenger footwell is certainly the first place that such a leak would show up.

poltergeist

1000+ Posts

"Baby oil"? Is the substance actually glycol residue, which makes dmccurtayne's post relevant. It is visible from under the glovebox.

Tadpole

Thank you for all the suggestions - especially the poltergeist! Car is auto, a/c seems to be working fine, being winter, I have only used it more for defogging than actual cooling - testing it today it seems just fine, ice cold the heating is also working just fine. The heater core o ring sounds more like the issue, but what I don't get is that apparently the system only holds about 135 mls of oil - way more than this has leaked out. I am concerned about corrosion happening under the carpet and a bigger problem that is not showing any obvious signs. Oil is definitely clear and odourless - makes your skin burn and itch so its definitely corrosive. Checked all the levels - this oil is more like brake fluid consistency which is also clear - level was normal brakes are fine. Coolant was a little low, topped it up - but that is fluro green and smells sweet. Trying to avoid having to pay Peugeot to go on a hunt that may end up costing me heaps! Did any of that give any further clues??? thanks everyone

1000+ Posts

French cars put the brake master cylinder on the passenger's side.Have you been topping up the reservoir?

Tadpole

Brake reservoir is on passenger side, haven't topped it up in ages, its sitting on the max line

Ok....let's backtrack a bit and try lateral thinking. Maybe it WAS something in the groceries ?

I have noticed in other cars that if water gets into the front passenger footwell, that it runs back into the rear footwell. The cross piece on which the seat rails sits does not always seal off the front from the rear.
    In some makes of car it does, but definitely in others it does not.

Perhaps after you cleaned it up first, the liquid in the rear footwell then ran forward ?

Tadpole

Nope, had the back seats down and loaded up, no sign of any spills (we've been hauling groceries for the farmers). the first time this happened was about 4 weeks ago, I sopped it all up with paper towel - with a weight on it, took 3-4 days of changing layers of paper towel. Then it was dry, and now it is back, this time i haven't sopped it up and it is not drying out. Also, the carpet in the back is not wet, the carpet under the front seat is not wet, and the sloped part that goes up under the glove box is not wet. First time it happened their was a carpet mat over the carpet which was also soggy, the mat hasn't been back in the car since.

Ok....it was worth a suggestion, anyway. We all could do with a bit of lateral thinking at times.

All I can think of has been mentioned....heater core or air con.....but both have been discounted.

Are you SURE it does not smell ? Perhaps the brand of coolant you are using has less smell ?

Because a heater core O-ring leak would do that, and leak it into the passenger footwell.

Can you take a sample to a local pharmacist and ask him to do some basic test ?

Tadpole

Yeah it is a mystery, the coolant is fluro green and does smell sweet - this is on black carpet it just looks a bit brown on the paper towel, but that could be dirt in the carpet, if you touch it, it is clear. Might try asking an a/c person, before letting Peugeot loose on it, that could end up being an expensive exercise. It seems to definitely belong to the a/c system some how. Appreciate the help, if I figure it out I will come back and let you know.

Good idea....Peugeot will almost certainly cost you a lot !

My Mitsubishi Magna had a leak from where a heater matrix connecting pipe broke off. Coolant ran down and sat in the passenger footwell. The floor is corrugated and the coolant went backwards in the corrugations, and did not make the rear carpet very wet at all.

Also remember that carpet underfelt retains liquid. It may have dried where you put the paper towel, and then that area may have wicked up moisture rom the surrounding area....or from in the corrugations.....I'm sure the floor will be corrugated to some extent.

No smell at all, eh ? Well....I guess the air con must have more oil in it than we thought !
    I cracked one open many years ago and there was an oily foam going through.

COL

I have just had a thought from Beano's post above

Would it be the condensate from the air conditioner from the evaporator coil, maybe the pipe that takes the condensate outside the car has come adrift and the condensate is ending up in the passenger foot well.

Just my worth
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Fellow Frogger!

The o rings that seal the coolant carrying pipes to the heater matrix on my wife's '05 2.0 lt petrol 307 wagon failed a couple of years ago. Having worked on a 405 diesel matrix problem I dreaded the thought of fixing the 307. Turned out to be an easy job with the right tools and no problems since with the $2 worth of o rings. As access is easy why not pull a bit of carpet/trim out of the way and you'll see the pipe connection points and if they are wet there is the source of your leak. Are the drain holes for a/c water and rain clear? Is there a chance that a snake is hibernating in the area behind your dash?
    A clear oily irritant to the skin is possibly diesel, though it's smell is a give away, or a product that that is escaping from an electrical component that is similar to the transformer oil used in the electricity supply industry. I've never looked at the computer component bits in my cars and think it to be very unlikely they would be oil filled for cooling etc and even if so not likely to have much in them.
    Years ago a model of Commodore had the trait of fluid travelling inside wiring cables, the 406 2.1 diesel also did likewise and from experience 307 power steering pumps will force oil up the supply cable/s to the fuse box in the engine bay. Ours developed an erratic power on/off that resulted in replacement of the electric pump unit.
    Did your problem by any chance start on April 1 ?

Tried a bit on your tongue?
    Present fleet:-
    Peugeot 93' 205 Gti 16v
    Peugeot 73' 504 Ti from new
    Peugeot 08' 407 Hdi Coupe from new

Previous fleet:-
    Peugeot 95' 605 Sv
    Peugeot 92' 205 Gti
    Renault 72' 16TS from new
    Renault 69' 10
    Renault 71' 10s
    Renault 68' 10 from new

"Be reasonable do it my way!"

Quote Originally Posted by 888terri View Post
    Nope, had the back seats down and loaded up, no sign of any spills (we've been hauling groceries for the farmers). the first time this happened was about 4 weeks ago, I sopped it all up with paper towel - with a weight on it, took 3-4 days of changing layers of paper towel. Then it was dry, and now it is back, this time i haven't sopped it up and it is not drying out. Also, the carpet in the back is not wet, the carpet under the front seat is not wet, and the sloped part that goes up under the glove box is not wet. First time it happened their was a carpet mat over the carpet which was also soggy, the mat hasn't been back in the car since.
    Have you lifted up the carpets?
    It is not apparently running down from the front or up from the back from your description, but maybe it is leaking down the back of the carpet somewhere but not soaking through until it pools.
    Any chance that it could be auto trans fluid somehow coming from the tunnel side?
    Really clutching at straws here but........

Reminds me of my Land Rover days.

Stop overnight great.

Your mates secretly pour oil under your vehicle.

Discover this in morning check before setting out, oh no

Spend rest of trip worrying where it came from

Quote Originally Posted by kelpiebat View Post
    or a product that that is escaping from an electrical component that is similar to the transformer oil used in the electricity supply industry. I've never looked at the computer component bits in my cars and think it to be very unlikely they would be oil filled for cooling etc and even if so not likely to have much in them.
    If any of you guys come across this type of oil coming out of spark coils or old transformers, I would strongly suggest you don't touch it at all.
    I looked it up a few years ago, and this oil contains PCBs, which are highly toxic, and can cause a nasty skin condition.... even cancer.

Take the god damn left hand panel off the side of the dash on the console two t20 screws see the heater core join there will be a stain there stop blah blahing thatís what the issue will be
    BIGRR and tazfrog like this.

Fellow Frogger!

Talk about strange fluids - just last week I found about 1/2 cup of clear, odourless, oily fluid under my '07 307 2.0 Hdi. All fluids levels are normal. Brake fluid, transmission & power steering fluid, and coolant all have distinctive odours and colour. Not sure about A/C fluid, but there was far too much for that. I cleaned it up and haven't seen a drop since.

Must be the re-emergence of ......... the BLOB!
    Cheers,
    Brodie

'78 604 SL (LPG) ...........for sale ..sold
    '81 604 SL (spares) .......for sale ..sold
    '85 505 GTi ..................for sale ..sold
    '94 405 SRDT............... for sale ..sold
    '07 307 HDi hatch
    '07 307 HDi Wagon

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread Information