Pug 505 STI Cambelt & Wheels/tyres? - was "Dumb Question?"
  • Register
  • Help

Default Dumb question?

I'm a new Peugeot owner - a 505 STI, 1983, manual, which is in VERY good condition. Now for the dumb question - how is the camshaft driven? All the books came with this car and there's no mention of changing cam belts anywhere I can see so I'm presuming (hoping?) that it's either gear or chain driven. I don't know a lot about the subject but I'd be pleased to avoid the cost of replacing belts. I'll get onto the subject of wheels and tyres another day-that should be fun!

Advertisement

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by RedPug
    I'm a new Peugeot owner - a 505 STI, 1983, manual, which is in VERY good condition. Now for the dumb question - how is the camshaft driven? All the books came with this car and there's no mention of changing cam belts anywhere I can see so I'm presuming (hoping?) that it's either gear or chain driven. I don't know a lot about the subject but I'd be pleased to avoid the cost of replacing belts. I'll get onto the subject of wheels and tyres another day-that should be fun!
    There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers :-)

If your car is an STI, it will have the 2.2 Douvrin engine, which is belt driven. If you cannot find proof (& by this I mean invoices for the work done, not the seller's assurances) that the belt has been changed less than 80000km ago you should, as a matter of high priority, get the belt changed. Failing to do so risks the belt breaking & a fairly expensive engine rebuild. The belts are cheap (~$40), and not too tricky to replace. Depending on the age the camshaft oil seal may also be leaking, fixing this at the same time is a good policy. Get it done if it needs it before wheels & tyres - being stranded with a buggered engine but beautiful wheels & tyres would definitely be dumb.

Barry.

Icon12

can this message also be moved to the correct area please?

Yes, it's probably more appropriate in the Peugeot forum... but let's consider that this is a first post from a new member.

If the belt is only $40, then this is one of the less expensive cars to do this job on. I'm sure that it's as easy as anything as soon as you get the radiator out.

A good opportunity, too, to flush the block and put fresh coolant in and just generally eyeball a few things here and there.

Originally the STi came with the metric (390mm) wheels, but many have now been replaced with 14" and 15"... I know where there's a reasonable set of 14" wheels for about $160 (complete set... that's five wheels, tyres marginal).

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bell
    Yes, it's probably more appropriate in the Peugeot forum... but let's consider that this is a first post from a new member.

If the belt is only $40, then this is one of the less expensive cars to do this job on. I'm sure that it's as easy as anything as soon as you get the radiator out.

A good opportunity, too, to flush the block and put fresh coolant in and just generally eyeball a few things here and there.

Originally the STi came with the metric (390mm) wheels, but many have now been replaced with 14" and 15"... I know where there's a reasonable set of 14" wheels for about $160 (complete set... that's five wheels, tyres marginal).
    Ray

What flavour rims are they? My sister would be interested in them for her 505.

Ky

They have a very flat and plain looking centre, complete with bolt on cap over the recessed section containing the retaining nuts. Around the perimeter there are small square holes and spokes... sorry I don't have a photo.

Apparently they are popular on Mercedes and maybe Volvo... I should find out the brand too. I might get a chance later today...

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

They have a very flat and plain looking centre, complete with bolt on cap over the recessed section containing the retaining nuts. Around the perimeter there are small square holes and spokes... sorry I don't have a photo.

Apparently they are popular on Mercedes and maybe Volvo... I should find out the brand too. I might get a chance later today...

they sound like hurricane or cyclone wheels or something like that from memory

i think 5th gear made them back in the 80/90's

you see them on comodes as well at times

they have a fairly flat centre with the cap on and are alloy colour across the centre and the multitude of spokes going around the outer edge are coloured black

i have seen this style of wheel many times and have seen them on 504's a few times

i know there was a bloke in young that had a set on his 504 wagon for quite a long time
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

You wouldn't believe it... I just went up to the house for lunch, there was a midday movie on... and a rotten Volvo was in shot with these wheels on it!

Modern Volvo... 860 or something...

I checked the wheels at the wreckers... still there, tyres are just roadable, but are legal.

The centre cover is about 9" across, a plain alloy disc with one hole in it for the retaining bolt. No names at all. Around the outside of it there's a very narrow matching plain section, maybe half an inch, then the spokes and square holes... perhaps 15 or 16 of them.

I suspect the two that I have in my backyard are just similar, not the same... I had hoped to get these and make up two sets later by picking up another somewhere... but I cooled on that idea. Glad I did if they're different...

I checked the wheels at the wreckers... still there, tyres are just roadable, but are legal.

The centre cover is about 9" across, a plain alloy disc with one hole in it for the retaining bolt. No names at all. Around the outside of it there's a very narrow matching plain section, maybe half an inch, then the spokes and square holes... perhaps 15 or 16 of them.

I suspect the two that I have in my backyard are just similar, not the same... I had hoped to get these and make up two sets later by picking up another somewhere... but I cooled on that idea. Glad I did if they're different...
    I think I know the ones, theres a 504 running around with them on around Canberra. I'll ask her if shes interested in them.

Thanks

Ky

Thanks to those who answered my dumb question about timing belts (in the wrong section, I know-I realised that as I hit the send. Thank you Ray for your comments on that). I've been able to speak to the previous owner and his records don't show any belt changes. The car's only 110,000 kms old so I'll change it soon. My local Peugeot dealer's price for a belt is only $27.00, almost too good to be true. I heard from Michelin yesterday, they tell me that metric tyres are no longer available and go on to suggest three alternatives, one of which is the metric size on my 505!? I don't quite follow that one.

Did you actually establish that you have metric rims?

I mean, read the tyre size off the tyre and see what it says... 390 or 15.

Many STis have already had their rims changed because of tyre cost... you might be one of the lucky ones.

with the car only having 110K on it they may not be so lucky and still have the metrics on the car

the TRX's do last quite a while so it's possible it is only on it's 2nd set of tyres in it's life
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Icon7

Ray,

They are unfortunately the metric rims on RedPug's car.

Matt.
    On the internet, no one knows that you are only wearing a fez.

Well, it's first in best dressed with these wheels in Goulburn... I'll do the best deal I can for whoever wants them.

They even come with the little tool for undoing the special cover retaining nuts...

Default 505 wheels

Ray, I'm interested in those wheels-are you coming near Wodonga again in the reasonably near future? I'm in no hurry, the current tyres are good. I could always take a run up to Goulburn just for fun - after the timing belt's changed though.

This is the way it works then...

You confirm that you want me to buy them for you... I will go in there and do the deal for the best price I can. Originally he quoted me $200 for the five of them, so it won't be any more than that, but as to whether or not I can get him to budge I don't yet know.

Whatever the deal I can do, I am prepared to put a deposit down and have them held in your name. We work the rest out from there... I would say there's a chance I'll be down your way again at the end of June, but if not, I can at least arrange to meet you in Wagga or something by the end of June.

To complete the deal then, you would need to send me the cash through by mid-June. I would actually get you to bank it in my Bankcard account... that would be easiest.

Okay... I've got the price down to $165 for the five wheels plus the tool for undoing the centre cap bolt. Wheelnuts are naturally included. But they are taking the tyres off to sell the cases... not that this would really worry anyone as they aren't much good.

Just give me a call on 0409 063 662 and I will pay a $50 deposit and await the arrival of the rest of the money in my account. Then I will pick up the wheels and arrange getting them to the buyer.

1000+ Posts

Moved as suggested/requested/hinted at. I also renamed it to make it more relevant to future user searches but left the original title in there too.

Derek

VIP Sponsor

Okay... I've got the price down to $165 for the five wheels plus the tool for undoing the centre cap bolt. Wheelnuts are naturally included. But they are taking the tyres off to sell the cases... not that this would really worry anyone as they aren't much good.

Just give me a call on 0409 063 662 and I will pay a $50 deposit and await the arrival of the rest of the money in my account. Then I will pick up the wheels and arrange getting them to the buyer.

SELL the cases?
    Down here we have to pay to get rid of old tyres!

Graham Wallis

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS
    SELL the cases?
    Down here we have to pay to get rid of old tyres!

Graham Wallis

we do as well but wreckers can sell them to make retreads

$3/ car tyre case
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x secret project

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by RedPug
    The car's only 110,000 kms old so I'll change it soon. My local Peugeot dealer's price for a belt is only $27.00, almost too good to be true.
    Dont change the belt soon - change it NOW!!!! It may be getting due by kilometres, but it is WAY OVERDUE on age. My Renault manual (same engine ) tells me to change the belt at 110,000 km or 8 years, whichever comes first. If your car still has the factory belt on it, it is seriously on borrowed time. I will be betting you will pull off a very brittle and cracked belt Chuck a new tensioner on it too, and change the crank, aux shaft and cam oil seals (cheap, and will stuff a belt if they leak oil onto it)

ps see Carrevelle Imports in Melbourne for bits (9890 9061) - his belts are even cheaper
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Thread Information