206 GTI 180 - Track Car - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: 206 GTI 180 - Track Car

Quote Originally Posted by speaksgeek View Post
    If you get the dutch one, be aware that there are two variants. They sent me the wrong one first time, as there is an early production run change in the RHD 180's. My theory is all Australian models are the later setup, mine is 2004 and they claim it changed in 2005. The model you probably want is BE4X. You should be able to tell if you take the stock setup off and compare.
    My GTi180 (Jan 2004 build) had the early type mechanism - with the large metal lump on it as per the RC Shift, not the BE4X one.

Advertisement
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    My GTi180 (Jan 2004 build) had the early type mechanism - with the large metal lump on it as per the RC Shift, not the BE4X one.
    Good to know. My two must be a late 04 build then, they both have the BE4X type.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Oil cooler, Quaife LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:40.2
    Wakefield - 1:13.5
    Phillip Island - 1:55.9
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

Tadpole

So, picked the car up Saturday evening & it’s very enjoyable to drive. Very similar to when I had an XR4 although the PUG doesn’t feel as solid (think it may be an age thing) it feels like it’s a bit faster.

First issue, driven it for about 60km & an engine light popped up with anti pollution filter error. Car seems relatively the same driving it, will scan it when I get a chance but searching this term doesn’t fill me with confidence...

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs
    206 GTI 180 Track Car
    Weld in CAMS roll cage
    15" C5 Wheels & Federal 595 RSR-R's 205/50/15
    DBA Slotted Rotors & Wagner Pads
    Sparco Seat & RPM 4 Point Harness
    SAAS Steering Wheel & Boss Kit
    Anthracite Grey Body & Carbon Roof Wrap + Sponsors Logos
    Custom Exhaust
    www.nonameracing.net

Future Build Plans
    Spax PSX & Strut Tops (awaiting install), Oil Catch Can & Cooler, LSD, Probably a lot more

Sponsors
    Enso International, BenjiDean, Dashing, HVG, SASSART, FlashCo, DM Media

Fellow Frogger!

Anti pollution is catch all fault for anything on the engine from intake to exhaust, coilpacks, throttle body, O2 sensors etc.
    scanning it on OBD or even better the peugeot tool will get you closer to the issue.
    One very common issue is low battery. They hate that.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Oil cooler, Quaife LSD, E85.

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by speaksgeek View Post
    Anti pollution is catch all fault for anything on the engine from intake to exhaust, coilpacks, throttle body, O2 sensors etc.
    scanning it on OBD or even better the peugeot tool will get you closer to the issue.
    One very common issue is low battery. They hate that.
    Ok that makes a bit of sense now then. The car had a cat back exhaust & CAI on it that was changed over just before I collected it. I am assuming now that the ECU is struggling to readjust to the changes but will still have everything looked into this week when I can get our mechanic onto it. Will be going over everything with a fine tooth comb anyway & will change the battery over just in case as doesn't look brand new. Will get a build thread going hopefully before I head over to the UK, if not will setup when I am back mid-September.
    206 GTI 180 Track Car
    Weld in CAMS roll cage
    Custom Exhaust
    www.nonameracing.net

Future Build Plans
    Spax PSX & Strut Tops (awaiting install), Oil Catch Can & Cooler, LSD, Probably a lot more

Sponsors

Tadpole

Hey fellas

Thought I would provide you an update on how things have progressed since my last post as it has been almost 8 weeks... A lot of work has gone into the car already with still a lot more to come over the coming weeks. Car has been checked over completely, fully stripped out & cage has started going in, all airbags have been removed, brakes have been changed over, EGR valve has been blocked off, C5 wheels cleaned up & painted satin black which will have TOYO R888Rs on them very shortly, racing seats with harnesses, race steering wheel, oil catch can, probably a lot more. I have setup our website & all social media sites where you can follow us (very basic at the moment). Images are on the website also. www.nonameracing.net

We have the interior for sale as well (seats, door cards, parcel shelf) all in great condition if anybody is interested.

206 GTI 180 - Track Car-img_6604.jpg206 GTI 180 - Track Car-img_6607.jpg206 GTI 180 - Track Car-img_6605.jpg
    206 GTI 180 - Track Car-img_6609.jpg206 GTI 180 - Track Car-img_6613.jpg206 GTI 180 - Track Car-img_9599.jpg
    CEyssens likes this.
    206 GTI 180 Track Car
    Weld in CAMS roll cage
    Custom Exhaust
    www.nonameracing.net

Future Build Plans

Sponsors

Fellow Frogger!

Sounds good.
    If you're not changing the intake manifold, forget the catch can and retain the stock PCV system.
    PCV setup is a pain in these and the factory setup works fine.
    The EGR you mention is actually a cold air injection for emissions at start up. Fine to remove, and theres a heavy blower motor at the back of the airbox, in the wheel arch you can remove too.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

Watching this with interest!

Tadpole

Morning all,

Finally received the car back from having the cage installed & now preparing for a first run out Saturday 19th January at Marulan. If anybody is keen to take their car out, open track day at Marulan if you want to join us! Will let you know how it goes.
    speaksgeek likes this.
    206 GTI 180 Track Car
    Weld in CAMS roll cage
    Custom Exhaust
    www.nonameracing.net

Future Build Plans

Sponsors

You are now ready to come racing with us in SuperTT, great racing and very affordable.
    90 205 Gti Cherry Red(Track Car)
    2009 207gti
    1985 505gti (Shitbox Rally) Sold

PBs:

Oran Park: 1:27:9
    Wakefield: 1:05.6 (July 2015)
    Eastern Creek: 1:54 (8v) 1:48 (16V)
    Mt Huntley: 34.44 (2004 stock 205)
    Ringwood: 35.06 (30/10/2005)
    Winton: 1:33.6 (2017)

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by cptdandan View Post
    Anybody recommend a short shift kit considering it looks like Griffith Engineering are no longer in existence?

Only found 1 from Holland so far https://www.short-shifters.com/rc-sh...ml?id=66465485
    I also have the newer style short shifter that SG has on my 180 which I daily, it’s been a great addition to the feel of shifts.
    Everything feels much more solid and direct over the stock linkage.

It is worth making sure which year gear box you have as both mine and my old man’s 180s are 2004 models but he has the older style short shifter and mine has the later “2005” marked unit.
    Either are pretty straight forward to install.
    Previous Cars: '89 405 Mi16 Series 1, '93 405 Mi16 Series 2 - Midnight blue, 2004 206 GTI 180 (silver)

Fellow Frogger!

Speaks geek,

"180 is geared way too high for the power it has at most tracks. You'll be lucky to get out of 4th except on the longest straights."
    I bought one the other day and drove it back on the dirt road, well that was interesting.
    The ride is very harsh and jolty whereas the 206 GTI deals with dirt roads well.
    As you say the gearing is very high!
    Not sure what has been done to my one but it goes like a cut cat , torque steers.
    Impressive car , great seats, no dash lights on and it runs perfectly.

Tadpole

So we had our first run out in the car last weekend & all went well. We brought the car home in 1 piece which was the best part!

We learnt a lot during the day & still have a lot of things we need to overcome, fix & build towards.

A few questions that will help us straight away from people that have already overcome the same issues...

- Emergency brake indicators coming on, is this a simple fuse pull fix or do we need to rewire something in the ECU?
    - Not sure on this but asking just in case it is something that somebody has encountered... One of our drivers is claiming to have issues under hard braking where the ESP kicks in (even though it was switched off) & the car free-revved (even when "in gear"). I think maybe he hasn't fully engaged the gear correctly as nobody else had this issue on the day. Worth asking though!

Just about to purchase some SPAX struts & springs from the UK & about to contact Suspension Concepts for the strut tops & alignment/adjustments for the track setup.

Here are some pics https://imgur.com/a/5u7RCQT from the day! Will update more once we have some more underway.
    FIVEDOOR and Richard W like this.
    206 GTI 180 Track Car
    Weld in CAMS roll cage
    Custom Exhaust
    www.nonameracing.net

Future Build Plans

Sponsors

I would purchase the Spax shocks & struts from Suspension Concepts, if you want the after sales/after hours/on track support. Let them do the lot, including a rear end like Parry's.
    cptdandan likes this.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Two things for you.
    The indicating thing under braking is part of the BSI. It can be turned off by anyone with Peugeot Planet.

The EBD (Emergency Braking Distribution?) can't be turned off I think. You could pull the ABS fuse, but then you lose speedo too.
    I found that under heavy braking, the pedal would suddenly feel like it's being pulled away from your foot. It's exacerbated by the high vacuum in the engine when braking in gear, which increases the assistance too.
    Altogether, I found the braking to be disconcerting, even though it always stopped for me.

I fixed it by removing all assistance, and fitting an adjustable bias box in place of the booster and ABS setup. Mine is great now.
    cptdandan likes this.
    1984 505 Executive Auto

Quote Originally Posted by cptdandan View Post
    - Not sure on this but asking just in case it is something that somebody has encountered... One of our drivers is claiming to have issues under hard braking where the ESP kicks in (even though it was switched off) & the car free-revved (even when "in gear"). I think maybe he hasn't fully engaged the gear correctly as nobody else had this issue on the day. Worth asking though!
    I think you'll find that ESP may only relate to throttle & traction control where as ABS & EBD function only on brakes and as Speaksgeek said, functions all the time.

With a Production Car that runs ABS, you brake on the ABS, i.e. Set up your car into the braking area and when you hit your braking marker you stand on the pedal as hard as you can and let the ABS do the rest. You modulate the brake pedal as you start to enter the corner, naturally, but you let the ABS do all the modulation for the main section of braking. If your pedal is going to the floor either the brakes need bleeding or you need to run fluid and/or pads that can cope with heat being produced.

If you speak to any of the competitors in the Australian Manufacturers Championship that have had a wheel speed signal issue they will tell you they can only drive the car at 8-9 tenths as compared to having the ABS functioning.

In terms of adjusting brake bias, you control it either by changing the pad compound on the rear or installing a bias valve.

Hope this helps

Esp uses the brakes to stabilise the car also a car with mechanical emergency brake assistance uses the booster to extra amplify the vacuum assistance by over coming a spring in the booster to open a second valve (simply put) as a result of this you get the pedal going long . Putting a bias valve on a car like this can also cause over distribution compensation the real fix is get standard abs without ebd and one action booster if it is becoming a problem. Try stabbing at the pedal hard and fast you with feel it .

Garage C5 X7 3008 XTE
    Gone but not forgotten 206 GTI 180 306 XR SED 405 MI16 x2 xzara VTS 406 SV 206 XT Berlingo 2011 (best car ever) 306 HDI 307 XSE HDI touring
    Fix it right the first time

Tadpole

Good morning all,

We had our first ever race yesterday at Pheasant Wood in the Cheap Car Challenge. It was a great day & we had ridiculous amounts of fun. We finished 12th overall as we lost close to an hour shortly after the start with a split coolant hose but after some help from another team in letting us take the part out of their 206 (they unfortunately had bigger issues & could not even start the race) we managed to get going again & start making our way up the positions (note that positions are based on laps completed). If we had not broken down then it is likely we would have placed in the top 5 overall. We have a few things to sort out before next months race but we already can't wait to get back out there. Some images from the day are captured here
    Stuey, PeterT and SLC206 like this.
    206 GTI 180 Track Car
    Weld in CAMS roll cage
    Custom Exhaust
    www.nonameracing.net

Future Build Plans

Sponsors

Fellow Frogger!

Love the colour. Did you have a bit of a bingle?
    1984 505 Executive Auto

Tadpole

Thank you.

Yes unfortunately in qualifying the accelerator pedal caught on the foam underlay at the end of the straight & sent the driver hurtling towards the tires in the runoff area, very luckily he pulled it up & just kissed the front left (as you can see the bent front guard). This could have been A LOT worse & thankfully he & the car are ok plus we also found our issue from one of my previous comments... not the ESP/EBD/ABC/123... just an oversight when we stripped out the interior for the pedal to catch on. All removed now!!!
    206 GTI 180 Track Car
    Weld in CAMS roll cage
    Custom Exhaust
    www.nonameracing.net

Future Build Plans

Sponsors

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information