high km's 407 HDi touring? - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: high km's 407 HDi touring?

Manual Scenic, yes. TD, not in Oz unfortunately. It's a 6-speed with the 2.0 16-valve petrol. I'm getting a bit under 7 km/100 L with careful driving. Apart from carrying capacity, they are a superbly easy vehicle to get in and out of as you get a bit older, and panoramic views - the windscreen is huge. They aren't perfect - digital instrument clusters can fail for example - but we've found them quite a revelation.

Advertisement
    JohnW

Renault 4CV 1951
    Renault R8 1965
    Renault Scenic 2005 (wife's)
    Renault Scenic 2007 (mine)
    Peugeot 306 XT 1995 (daughter's)
    CitroŽn CX Pallas 1980

National Co-ordinator, Renault 4CV Register of Australia

Real cars have hydraulics DoubleChevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skellibert View Post
    Happy to consider the scenic I guess. Kids are all grown so moving out of the "people mover" type offerings.
    Does the scenic comes with a manual and td combo?
    I guess I can look that up meself.
    Thanks for the option.
    I went through this for ages. There just isn't much out there with a decent modern diesel engine and a proper gearbox in a nice comfy passenger sedan. That is why we ended up with the 407 (plus my wife saw one in a carpark and liked how it looked).

The XM it replaced was a vastly superior car to the 407. Rode better, handled better, hugely.... massively .... ginormously more interior space.... vastly superior seating ... Nice big useful hatchback body..... Gee's I hated that heap of shit. Its a crying shame it was such a pile of crap that kept breaking down. ( This is what XM's do though).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '85 Series II CX2500 GTi Turbo I
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/citro%EBn-forum/90325-best-project-car-you-have-ever-seen.html
    '72 DS21 ie 5spd pallas (last looked at ... about 15years ago)
    '78 GS1220 pallas
    '92 Range Rover Classic ... 5spd manual.

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:
    '07 Poogoe 407 HDi 6spd manual

I have been guilty of recently of suggesting the 407 isnít the best.
    Some context is required.
    I owned one from new.
    Lovely highway car, quiet and comfortable, and well appointed.
    My 407 was 6-cylinder petrol. NOT one of Peugeot better efforts and best avoided.
    My main issue was general built quality which just didnít cut it.
    Rattles, squeaks drove me mad!
    The dash display fails regularly-a known issue.
    Windshield wipers are a problem and cost $600 plus to rectify. If the car youíre looking at has wipers doing odd things then better budget this in.
    I genuinely did like the car, but not one of Peugeotís better efforts.

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Tadpole

I love my 407 wagon with 208,000km the 2.2l 4cyl auto.

It has a really nice interior which I would call medium in size, but nice to travel in. I love the split fold rear window too.

It seems to do pretty well on fuel and has enough go without being a race car but not a slug either.

Fellow Frogger!

I am very happy with my 08 2L TD AM6 auto 407 Sedan.
    It has now done 270,000kms.
    I am currently considering swapping it for a 2011 RHH engined AM6 407 wagon.

I recently purchased my partner a 2011 Renault Latitude 2L TD auto.
    It is full of bells and whistles, the driver's seat even has a massage function.
    However both my partner and I prefer the solidness, driveability and extra torque from the 407.

My main disappointment with the 407 sedan is that the headlights are very poor at night. Aside from that, she is a pleasur to own, drive and mighty cheap to own.

Quote Originally Posted by dcc236 View Post
    I am very happy with my 08 2L TD AM6 auto 407 Sedan.
    It has now done 270,000kms.
    I am currently considering swapping it for a 2011 RHH engined AM6 407 wagon.

I recently purchased my partner a 2011 Renault Latitude 2L TD auto.
    It is full of bells and whistles, the driver's seat even has a massage function.
    However both my partner and I prefer the solidness, driveability and extra torque from the 407.

My main disappointment with the 407 sedan is that the headlights are very poor at night. Aside from that, she is a pleasur to own, drive and mighty cheap to own.
    Make sure the level rotary knob doesn't have the lights pointed to the ground. I wet sanded the lenses on the one here and polished them. After fitting Osram night breaker globes, the headlights were easily 500% improved.

seeya
    Shane L.
    hypermiler and dcc236 like this.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleChevron View Post
    Make sure the level rotary knob doesn't have the lights pointed to the ground. I wet sanded the lenses on the one here and polished them. After fitting Osram night breaker globes, the headlights were easily 500% improved.

seeya
    Shane L.
    I probably should go into this a little further. You can make the deteriated plastic lenses look like new again. I got a bucket of water. Put a small squirt of washing up liquid it it. Now with some 1000 or 1200 wet and dry paper.... using a colour sanding block (these are soft rubber and will go around corners) .... give the headlight a good sand, until it looks the same all over (ie: cloudy in the same way all over).

Now with some super fine 3M cutters and sheepskin buff (so aggressive buff, but gentle cutters), being careful not to burn the plastic, run the buff over the lights until they gleam like new ones. A coat of polish when done for some UV protection would probably be a good idea (woops ... I must get to that).

Haakon is the one that suggested replacing the old headlight globes. The Osram night breaker globes made a tremendous difference.... Absolutely incredible. It just had standard headlight globes in it before (as they were cheap). Even if the globes are still working .... try a pair of those Osram globes ( they are cheapest on ebay).

seeya,
    Shane L.
    'Cit' homepage:
    Citroen Workshop
    Proper cars--
    '63 ID19 http://www.aussiefrogs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90325
    '78 GS1220 pallas

Yay ... No Slugomatics

Modern Junk:

Fellow Frogger!

I back up my comments without bias . Just drive one and see how you like it . I am one of the ones who love their 407 , but that is my opinion .

I have a manual 407 Hdi, since new, and have 290000 in it. Nothing has really been an issue, got it serviced regularly. Its agreat car to drive on the highway, cheap to run and not as smooth as the old 405, but a lot more boogie. You'll never miss it in a car park, and it has a cool button for the boot! The drink holder is too small, and there's not much storage in the cabin, but the boot is big. I reckon a touring would be really big!

Fellow Frogger!

I picked up a RHH engined 407 sedan today. Now time to sell me 2008 407 Sedan with the RHR engine.
    dimistyle likes this.

Tadpole

Hey guys, new to this forum and just trolling through.
    Thought I had to post my 2c worth in this thread - sorry for dragging up an old thread.

I owned a 2004 407 V6 petrol for about four years.
    Absolutely loved this car - well appointed and a fantastic ride.
    Plenty of power out of the V6 and not too bad on the juice.

I only sold it because it started leaking oil out of the rear main and around the plugs.
    Obviously suggested this to the new owner when I sold it.
    Was one of the best cars I have owned.

Now have a 308 with the 2L diesel. Pugs know how to do a diesel car don't they.
    peujohn likes this.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information