P306 Information
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

P306 Information

Hello P306 owners,
    I am considering 'upgrading' one of our 505 vehicles (the STI Executive) to a P306, currently on sale in our local dealers yard.

The vehicle is a 10/97 production, 4 door XR model, in a metallic type of green colour. Mileage is just under 40,000 km. It is a 5 speed manual, with A/Conditioning etc (which I assume was standard?) I am not very familiar with this model.

Advertisement

As a result, I am seeking information / advice from current or past owners that may help in assessing the vehicle. Asking price is $17,990, which seem a bit high, given what else is available new for not many more dollars. However, it seems to have been well cared for.

Are there better models of this car around the same vintage that represent better value for money? What sort of things can / do go wrong. I think the engine is a 1.8? (sorry, no one at the yard on a Sunday).

Cheers,
    Kimdeb

Fellow Frogger!
    I've owned a 94 306XT and now drive a 1989 405Mi16. I wouldn't spend that sort of money on an 306XR. If your willing to travel Colin Stark at Alpine Affaire in Ringwood, Melboure has an immaculate unmarked late model Mi16 (90Ks)in stock for about the same money. I kwow which I'd rater drive! If you enjoy driving by the time you drove home from Melbourne you would be happy with your choice. wink

<small>[ 24 June 2002, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: rick_b ]</small>
    Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten!

The Mi16 is 8 years older than the 306 so there really is no fair comparison.
    Although it may be a better drive it all depends on what Kimdeb is after. The 306 will be better equiped, more likely to be mecanically sound and easier to drive.
    B to the R to the A from the D
    1994 MX5 Clubman...are you sure it's not French?

The best part of 18k is seems to be alot for a Mi16 these days.......it must be a very good one.....

The 306 sounds like a decent buy, they are a good car and will last a long time.

I'm not sure what $18,000 gets you in a 306, this XR does sound at the upper end, though 40,000km is not alot for it's age.

The 1.8lts were pretty agricultural engines, it won't be fast or terribly smooth but they appear to practically last forever from what i've heard....

I'd reccomend any 2lt 306 over a 1.8, I doubt you'll find a "really" good one under for much under $20,000, certainly not one with 40,000km or less on it........
    ________
    HotGirlCeleste
    Last edited by DTwo; 22nd August 2011 at 01:49 AM.

Fellow Frogger!
    The Mi16 in question would only be two years older. Mi16s are better built ($42k new) and is less likley to depreciate as quickly as a 306XR ($23k new the lowest trim spec) + the Mi16 has ABS and sunroof. It would depend on the type of driving your doing. Nipping around town a 306 1.8 may be more enjoyable other than that the Mi16 wins hands down. :p Faults I found with my 306XT; cherry red paint marked easily, kickback through steering when turning over rail tracks etc and worst of all a stupid design (air cleaner chamber above exhaust manifold) on the air inlet to the engine that robs the engine of much needed power in hot whether, this becomes worse when the car has been parked for 5min or so. Mine quite frequently leaned the mixture enough to stall the engine, then it would restart and drive like a 1.2 for the next 5min dead (temperatures in mid 30's). If your dead set keen on a 306 spend a few extra bucks and buy a XSI or the ST sedan was a good version, both have ABS and better trim. wink Give it two years and a few more ks the 306XR would be lucky to bring $10G I'm sure the Mi16 would be worth more and easier to sell. wink

<small>[ 24 June 2002, 07:46 PM: Message edited by: rick_b ]</small>
    Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten!

Fellow Frogger!
    Hmm these prices seem seriously expensive!

I've seen Mi16s go for $3995NZ, low-end 306s going for $8000NZ. I wouldn't pay more than $15000 for a 306 unless it was a GTI6 or S16 altho GTi6s still hold their value at well over 20kNZ for newer ones.

I knew Aussie prices were always a bit higher and you had ADR rules but holy shit, you guys are getting ripped :/.

Yes but look at the state of the NZ new car industry =)

Fellow Frogger!
    Thanks for the information everybody.

I suspect that we will not be making an offer on this particular 306, mainly because of price versus age. Whilst the km's are low, I think the depreciation factor will overtake all else when pitched against later model Pugs now on the market (206 / 307).

I think the advice to look at a higher spec 2 litre model could be the answer. Meanwhile, the 505 will soldier on as reliably as ever.

Cheers,
    Kim

Hi Kimdeb
    Do yourself a favour and go and testdrive a 98 306 Style or Rallye which are equipped with a 1.8 twin cam.
    Sweet fast and much better than an MI16.
    Cheers
    Chuck
    eek!

Thread Information