405 rear brakes problem
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 405 rear brakes problem

Hi AF, I need a bit of help with solving a problem that I can't figure out.

First off, hello everyone! I have a 90 Mi16 and it is my first pug which I'm learning to do my own work on and use for motorkhana, khanacross and some HRA rally events.

Advertisement

On Sunday afternoon I was doing some maintenance stuff on my car for the upcoming Magical Iron Bark Tour. I put some new rotors and pads on the front which was no problem and then I started on the rear. I took the RR calliper off and when I when to push the piston back in it would not move.

I tried a few times to push it back in but it wouldn't budge so I tried cracking open the bleeder valve and then pushing it back in but nothing happened. Another thing I tried was to press on the brake a bit so the piston would move out a bit followed by trying to press it back in but again, nothing happened.

The car has been working fine up until now so I'm a bit confused. The car is up on a hoist so does that or the cars proportioning valve have something to do with why I cant get the piston back in? I haven't checked to see if the LR is the same so I'll check that next time I work on the car. Is the piston just stuck? If it is I would be surprised because I was using the handbrake a lot at the last motorkhana I went to and it worked.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks

VIP Sponsor

You need to rotate the piston clockwise while pushing against it. If you push hard enough it will retract after a few turns. This is about the handbrake self adjusting.

VIP Sponsor

Don't remove the caliper from the hose, it is really hard to bleed 405 brakes.

Tadpole

The caliper won't be coming off if it doesn't need to. It took me a couple of bottles of brake fluid and a trying bunch of different ways of bleeding to make the brakes feel good on this car so I don't want to have to take the caliper off.

What do you use to turn the piston clockwise while it's getting pushed back in?

VIP Sponsor

Flat bladed screwdriver, push on that as well.

Clockwise one side, anti-clockwise the other? You can buy a tool to wind them in. Or fabricate something yourself.

Bleeding is easy if the rear is higher than front. ie park on a hill, car ramps etc.

Tadpole

Ok, so the front pistons can be pushed straight back in but the rear needs to be rotated to get back in?

Thanks for the help.

VIP Sponsor

Yes, no handbrake on the front!

1000+ Posts

Can be done with a g clamp and multi grips be careful not to damage the boot ,i just did rear rotors and pads on my sons 07 c4 piccaso ,same deal ,with the c4 the piston had to be orientated to align with a lug on the back of the pad ,i cant remember if this is applicable to a 405 ,its been a long time since i have owned one ,pugs

It is not an easy job if you don't have special tools to wind the caliper piston back in. You can buy a set on Only Tools (Chinese) for around $30-50 or so. They are well made and You Tube will tell you how to use them. While winding the piston in I put a clamp on the brake fluid tube and opened the bleeder to make it a little easier, and at the finish I serviced the caliper by using special grease that you can buy from Autobarn (small tube for around $2.50) to lubricate the locking pins. By the way the rear brakes on a 405 do tend to have a problem whereby the piston can stick in the caliper with rust etc and if that is the case you may not be able to wind the piston in. If that is the case, ask a wrecker (Pugwreck) to supply a good second hand caliper assembly, and fix the original one later!
    John505

Thread Information