504 Tyre sizes
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 4cvg

Thread: 504 Tyre sizes

Default 504 Tyre sizes

Given that 175/80/14 are the original size and it appears that these are no longer available What alternative size and brand can I use? Currently the car has 175/80/14 Michelins on the front and 185/75/14 Michelins on the rear. I have recently got this car and need to replace two tyres for RWC.

Advertisement

Thanks

Glenn

Tadpole

Working the % ratio the outside diameter is less than 2mm difference, the 185/75 being slightly smaller. Less than tread wear.
    It shouldn't make any noticeable difference.

1000+ Posts

You could, of course, get just 2 tyres.

I would enjoin you to get 4 however. There are three reasons for this.

First, the handling balance of the 504 is not improved by different tyre sizes front & rear but presumably the tyres up for replacement are some ancientish 175/80 ones. This raises the question of age. Have a look at the 4 digit sidewall date of manufacture stamp at the end of one of the outer sidewall stamps on the 185/75. The convention is week & year (so 0113 would be the first week of January 2013). The "rule of thumb" is that 5 years of age is going to be giving you noticeable decline in wet grip owing to compound changes & 10 years of age is threatening structural weakness (notably belt separation). In short, if that stamp is anything more than 5 years ago, you should be thinking about tyre replacement. (You don't have to be fanging the 504 to have an emergency brake or swerve event in the wet when you'd like the tyres to be helping, not hindering, your reactions.)

Second, tyre behaviour varies not just with age & size but with type. Thus car behaviour can be affected by tyre mixes. The general guideline is to have 4 tyres of the same type (& age) fitted & then rotate regularly such that, come replacement time, another 4 tyres are fitted.

Third, it just so happens that during the month of July there's a "4 for the price of 3" deal operating for Hankook's Optimo K715 tyres. This means that the price per tyre comes down to $78 per tyre for a 185/75 ($312 for 4; plus, if you have a senior's card, an extra 5% discount to bring it to $296.40 - these prices are from Jax but the Hankook discount is a Hankook, not Jax, one. Also, if you discuss prices with another retailer, then this gives you a haggling price for them to better if their quote is above that.)

None of this would much matter if the K715 were to be rubbish but it's a good tyre which would deserve shortlisting against competitors in this size & the special deal adds to its attractions. I'd buy 4 & put your best 185/75 to use as a spare.

[Another possibility is 195/70 (which, like 185/75, preserves the gearing of the 175/80) but there is no particularly attractive tyre type which becomes available just in that size & the short-listed (operative criterion is wet-grip) alternatives are rather more expensive than $75 per tyre. So no, not a viable option.]

cheers! Peter
    Last edited by 4cvg; 11th July 2018 at 11:30 PM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Skellibert View Post
    Working the % ratio the outside diameter is less than 2mm difference, the 185/75 being slightly smaller. Less than tread wear.
    It shouldn't make any noticeable difference.
    A useful link in this context is:

https://tiresize.com/comparison/
    Skellibert likes this.

I thought the correct size for a 504 was 195/75R14.

I recently updated tyres on my 504. I wanted to stick with this size, but it is getting harder to find a good brand that has this size.

I ended up with a Toyo tyre in this size, however they are a light truck tyre. They have been great actually. I just don't run them at high pressure, so about 28psi seems comfortable.

As far as I know, the correct size is 175/?. Most people seemed to fit 185/? down the track with some fitting 195/?. I don't know what 504 station wagons have.

VIP Sponsor

185 75 is the correct size in a more up to date tyre. 195 75 is equivalent to 185 80, specified for early 505s.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pug72 View Post
    I thought the correct size for a 504 was 195/75R14.

I recently updated tyres on my 504. I wanted to stick with this size, but it is getting harder to find a good brand that has this size.

I ended up with a Toyo tyre in this size, however they are a light truck tyre. They have been great actually. I just don't run them at high pressure, so about 28psi seems comfortable.
    Hmm! Almost across their whole range, Toyo consistently tests as mediocre in the wet (they're compounded poorly for such conditions). Thus I'd be especially wary of your light truck tyres if you have to do anything dramatic in the wet; they'd be even more compounded for longevity than normal passenger tyres.

Incidentally, why the preference for 195/75 & not 195/70 or 185/75?

For what it's worth (a bit late, I know), you could have got something better & one such happens to be the K715 (around $85 per tyre for a set of 4 195/75).
    Last edited by 4cvg; 13th July 2018 at 02:35 AM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Given that 175/80/14 are the original size and it appears that these are no longer available What alternative size and brand can I use? Currently the car has 175/80/14 Michelins on the front and 185/75/14 Michelins on the rear. I have recently got this car and need to replace two tyres for RWC.

Thanks

Glenn
    Just curious; what did you end up doing?

pur-john, not pew-john! peujohn's Avatar

185/75R14 is a great size for a 504 on standard wheels. 195 is too wide for a 5 inch rim in my opinion, and will make the steering a bit beavy. I have 195s on 6.5 inch rims on my 504 GTI.

My Ti has 175/80R14 Michelins, love the tyres and the size.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    John W

1979 Peugeot 504 GTI 2.2 litre 5 speed - 72 kW at the wheels

1974 Peugeot 504 TI
    - now on the road

2009 Peugeot 407 HDI wagon - family car

Previous: 2005 407 HDI manual sedan, 1980 504 GL, 1990 405 Mi16, 1977 504 GL Special, 1984 505 SRD Turbo

1000+ Posts

[QUOTE=peujohn;1577602

<snip>

My Ti has 175/80R14 Michelins, love the tyres and the size.

[/QUOTE]

hmm! again, out of curiosity, what michelin tyre type and what is their age (as per manufacturing date stamp)?

I ask because I surmise that they'd be time-expired & am curious as to your affection for them as I can't think of a Michelin tyre type in 175/80 which I'd 'love' in the wet even if with a compound undegraded by the passage of time.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Clearly this is a topic that has had a bit of discussion and there are threads going back a few years on it. In reply to 4cvg the short answer is I have done nothing yet. I am leaning towards getting a set of 15 inch 505 alloys and putting 195/65/15 Michelins on them. This gives me a good range of possible tyres, and the same circumference as original, but I would like to hear from any one with this combination. Is there any clearance issue? How is the steering without power steering? I was not considering this when I got the car, only looking at replacing two tyres but that clearly is not the way it will work.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Clearly this is a topic that has had a bit of discussion and there are threads going back a few years on it. In reply to 4cvg the short answer is I have done nothing yet. I am leaning towards getting a set of 15 inch 505 alloys and putting 195/65/15 Michelins on them. This gives me a good range of possible tyres, and the same circumference as original, but I would like to hear from any one with this combination. Is there any clearance issue? How is the steering without power steering? I was not considering this when I got the car, only looking at replacing two tyres but that clearly is not the way it will work.
    One point about the 504 is that it has very low geared steering. The 505 has a quicker rack & any concern about parking speed heaviness is allayed by the PAS. (I hate the diminished feel of PAS & like a quick rack & I have always thought that a 505 rack into a 504 but without the PAS would make for a nicely-steering country road car but that's another story.)

I think that 195/65 would be fine with a 504 rack ratio. One thing about wider but lower profile tyres is that the contact patch shape tends to be shorter &, given the geometry of the rack steering-force input, a larger (wider but shorter) contact patch can actually be easier to push around. Anyway a mild pressure increase will also ease matters by diminishing the static contact patch area a bit.

On tyres, 195/65-15 is a lovely size with a very good short list of tyres available. As for Michelins, my past advice would have been that only poor wet types (Primacy 3ST, XM2 & EnergySaver +) are available & each should be avoided. However Michelin's new Primacy 4 changes that. The only test which I have seen of it suggests that it is the new class leader across most performance disciplines & a very good wet tyre. Michelin's own claim about it is that it will be above average in wet grip when worn. The only down-side of this seems to be a bit of tread instability "squirm" in the dry when new. Personally, I'd prioritise the worn-tyre wet grip advantage.

Apart from the P4, my next recommendation would be my previous first choice: Continental's PremiumContact 5 which is a splendid tyre across the range of disciplines & a class leader since its release years ago. (Its replacement, the PC6, is not available in 15".) The only downside is that its wet-grip compounding has the common trade-off of shortish life. Mind you, the issue of tyre longevity is irrelevant for most classic cars as their tyres will be time-expired (around 5-10 years) before they're worn out.

Next would be three very good wet tyres with no faults in other performance parameters. These are Goodyear's EfficientGrip Performance, Dunlop's FM800 & Continental's predecessor to the PC5, the PC2 (a long time favourite of mine).

Any of these five would be considerably better than 185/75 Hankook K715, good as that tyre is.

Enjoy! Peter

Thread Information