Peugeot 206 1.4 engine into Citroen Berlingo?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By renault8&10
  • 1 Post By robmac

Thread: Peugeot 206 1.4 engine into Citroen Berlingo?

Fellow Frogger!

Default Peugeot 206 1.4 engine into Citroen Berlingo?

Citroen Berlingo 1.4 engine differences?

The Berlingo stripped the cam belt before the belt was due to be changed.
    Slight oil leak had appeared on the crank area after a few long trips, pity i hadn't noticed .
    Overlooked changing belt as been snowed under with family problems.

It died not far from home so the wife towed me home about a kilometer.
    Oddly coming down the hill the engine fault light came on as the belt stripped.
    I brought up to the shed a good P 206 1.4 engine but i notice it is cast iron engine and the inlet manifold is slightly different, Bosch computer.

The engine in the Berlingo is the alloy block type, PSA computer.

So wonder if i change the injection/manifold i can use the donor engine?

I reset the valve clearances and all out by an equal amount so figured i will do a comp test to find bent valves. Live in hope.
    I put another belt on and no life , not sure if it is a computer problem or the bent valves.
    Comp test will tell more.

Advertisement

Will the iron block engine run if i change all the sensors and the manifolds?
    Someone must have been down this track?

The van was a good thing bought it late last year, been serviced , 130,000 klms, timing pulley shagged and spark plugs an effort to get out , so you wonder what if anything they did despite the mechanics being paid ..

There's a fellow here in Sydney who contacted me about buying my spare 1.4 206 engine the other day to do exactly the same thing so he appears confident he can fit it to his Berlingo and have it running. He hasn't picked it up yet, so I haven't actually met him or got any details yet just our initial chat over the phone.
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

My thoughts are to change the inlet manifold/ injection/rocker cover back to the head , various sensors .
    The Berlingo then should not have any reason to recognise that the engine has been changed.
    Then as i often say,
    "What could go wrong."

Did the belt break/strip on the fellows van?

I think you will find the iron block motor to be a 1.6 tu5jp, engine code nfz in the 206ís vin.

8 valve TU motors only bend the exhaust valves. The valves themselves are cheap from suppliers and can be easily lapped in with a drill from the cam side. I purchased an m59 berlingo with a broken timing belt a few years ago and it didnít cost more than $300 from memory to repair.

Alternatively I donít thinking anything would stop you from fitting the 1.6 with all the 1.4 parts and sensors. However it will still be fueling for a 1.4 and there is a weight difference between the two blocks however and they are already not exactly a performance vehicle.

Good luck!

My 1.4’s have a Sagem PSA computer.
    Berridale likes this.
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

James ,

the damaged engine is an alloy block.
    I did a compression test tonight in the cold, already a frost and not a reading .
    Got a spark as the fires out the inlet .. valves bent open.

As you say not a performance vehicle although i think Peter T fitted a 206 GTI engine to one.
    I am tempted to fit the 1.6 twin cam engine but it is not exactly straight forward.

Fellow Frogger!

Berlingo pressure plate is different.
    Air con mounting plate different on the ironblock.
    Inlet manifold and exhaust different.
    You need to swap these.

Fellow Frogger!

James,
    "Alternatively I don’t thinking anything would stop you from fitting the 1.6 with all the 1.4 parts and sensors."

Clearly you have not done this or know of the differences between the Peugeot and Citroen fittings of the same motor , Citroen do it to be different is the nicest way to put it.
    As i have said elsewhere the manifolds, exhaust, fuel injection , timing assembly, air con bracket are all different .

Still not sure if it will work , it runs but the engine runs too fast , won't idle.
    Normally i don't have these problems.. hope its not terminal.
    Even the flywheel and clutch are different, cooling pipes etc , etc.

The exhaust has to be fabricated as the 206 manifold clears the oil filter where the Citroen does not .
    So far after two days its not finished, trips to the farm for parts .

I like good advice but bad advice wastes my time, had i known the constant level of difficulty with this project i would have just rebuilt the head.
    This makes it essential that you have the Peugeot 206 donor car.

With respects , first advice was to rebuild the existing motor's cylinder head.

Second comment , in response to your suggestion to change the motor was prefaced with "I don't think anything would stop you..."

Which I would interpret as "I'm not exactly sure what fits and what doesn't"

So, suggesting James' attempt to assist is "bad advice" is very harsh.

After all it's your project and you are on the tools.

And it would be a poor show if everyone had to include with their advice, the disclaimer "All care and no responsibility" (which I would take as read anyway)
    hypermiler likes this.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

Quote Originally Posted by Berridale View Post

Did the belt break/strip on the fellows van?
    He mentioned a blown head gasket. From what I can tell he just bought it that way and is looking to get it back on the road.
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

The van was purchased a few months back with service receipts, ran faultlessly.

Belt stripped because although the belt was changed before i purchased it none of the pulley were.
    I pulled it down and found the tensioner part seized.

I checked the belt a couple of weeks ago and it was on my list to do the lot , parts arriving .

As far as being harsh on James , i merely state the observations of what the job involves and all that he was not aware of.
    Good advice comes from those who have done the job rather than those who speculate.

People reading the thread should be aware now that it is not in any way a straightforward installation.

Thread Information