WTB Peugeot 403 Sedan Tyres Brisbane
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Beano
  • 1 Post By David Cavanagh

Thread: WTB Peugeot 403 Sedan Tyres Brisbane

Default WTB Peugeot 403 Sedan Tyres Brisbane

Looking to buy 4 new tyres in the next few weeks, Brisbane area, to suit Peugeot 403 Sedan if anyone has spotted a good deal.

Advertisement

Sent from my iPhone using aussiefrogs

Deals change all the time, dude. Just call around to the major places. Keith Mackay at Red Hill has also been decent to deal with over the years.
    I wouldn't recommend Jax Tyres though.
    tok403 likes this.

IWS

I've been looking for tyres recently (for a modern car not a 403)

Bob Jane T Mart have a "best price" deal - they say:

"If you find an identical locally stocked tyre for less at any of our competitors, we'll match it, plus pay you 10% of the difference
    Bob Jane T-Marts' Best Tyre Price Guarantee applies to any cheaper price found on an online store or in a physical store in Australia. It applies to 'like for like' prices, that is, where the other store's final price, inclusive of fitting, balancing, new tubeless valve, GST, tyre disposal and freight, is lower than our price"

Worth shopping around - as Beano suggests - and then go to Bob Jane and ask them to price-match ?

Ian.

Thanks for that.

The people next door to me in Airport West did me a bloody good deal on a set of Hankooks for my 403. Can't remember the price but I was very surprised.

M & B tyre services, 36 King St Airport West.

Sorry don't know the number.
    Dano likes this.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustinJapan1964 View Post
    Looking to buy 4 new tyres in the next few weeks, Brisbane area, to suit Peugeot 403 Sedan if anyone has spotted a good deal.

the size is 165/80-15 is it not?

Buy best you can afford otherwise you will get the BEST SKIDMASTERS

1000+ Posts

Being curious as to what Longstone in the UK would have (at great expense, so not recommended, even if the tyres were better) I tried inputting the vehicle type & got 165-15, that's one memory confirmed then.

So: 165/80-15 in a modern, locally available tyre is the brief.
    First thing to note is that modern tyres are going to be tubeless whereas the 403 would originally be on tube-type tyres.

This is not an issue (as I have written on at length in the past in various threads & shall only reproduce here on request). Do not fit tubes to tubeless tyres (it's dangerous); the tyres are fine on your rims & the only cautions are: if the centres are riveted to the rims (I can't recall what the 403 story is), there's some chance of a slow leak at the rivet holes - I'd apply some sealing "goop" as a precaution &: as with all tubeless tyres on steel rims, there's some chance of a poor seal at the bead area - depending on severity, such a slow leak might again be remediated by "goop" but might require trueing by a wheelwright.

So, given that the tyres are going to be tubeless, what's available? Not a lot; 165/80-15 is an obsolescent size.

Basically, there are 3 options, I think. None are wonderful tyres but one is half way decent despite being an old type & is what I'd choose (my main operative criteria here are wet-grip under braking & cornering & benign limit behaviour).

That tyre is Hankook's Optimo K715 (available from Bob Jane).

A step down is the Maxxis MA P3 (available from Tyrepower).

The cheapest (& nastiest in my judgement) is the Nankang CX 668. Not sure who sells them in Brisbane but a mob called Sparco does in Hobart & I think that it's a national chain.

None of these is lethally dangerous but I'd suggest that, even for 4, the difference between cheapest & dearest wouldn't be enough not to choose the K715.

One caution: as this is an obsolescent size, there is a worry about an unscrupulous retailer trying to sell you old stock. You are likely to replace these tyres on age, not wear, grounds (at least that's the low-use case for most classic car drivers) & it is thus important to insist, as an explicit condition of sale, that the sidewall manufacturing date stamp be no more than two years old at worst (I wouldn't pay without formally verifying that). The newer, the better, given that most tyres' compounds are becoming noticeably degraded in the wet at 5 years of age.

Great to read this

We had a great talk at the PCCV meeting on Friday night by Russell Stuckey of Stuckey tyres. Of particular interest was his comments on the availability of classic tyres - many manufacturers are now re-making them.

So, a quick search of Stuckey's website comes up with this:
    Stuckey Tyres > Tyres > TyreSearch

3 brand-name options available. Obviously, this is in Melbourne, but it means that they do exist and they're in the country!

And I'd agree with the above comments - buy the best tyres you can. They're the only thing between you and the road.
    Scotty

Melbourne - Dandenong Ranges

1956 Peugeot 403 - 'Francois' - resto project

1969 Peugeot 504 - 'Pascal' - daily driver project

1970 Peugeot 404 Utility - 'Brutus' - resto project

1978 Peugeot 604 - as yet unnamed - V6 on straight LPG

1987 Peugeot 505 - as yet unnamed - project car

1999 Peugeot 406 Coupé - 'Chloe' - 5 speed manual

2011 Peugeot 3008 XTE HDi - 'Zoe' - hatchback on steroids

2014 Peugeot RCZ - 'Remy'

1999 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - 'Grover' - tow car

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JustinJapan1964 View Post
    Great to read this

I just had cause to look at Jax's site for my own reasons &, whilst there, I checked their current promotions. You're in luck.

For July, there's a "4 for the price of 3" deal on for Hankook & the Optimo K715 is included.

Using Jax's published on-line price of $115 per tyre, that'd be $345 for 4. And, if you're as aged & decrepit as some fellow Froggers, a 5% discount applies for Senior's Card holders & that would bring it down to $327.75. Bob Jane would match that & so, with some haggling, might any retailer you trust.

The choice of the K715 is now a "best tyre at very good price" no-brainer decision I suggest.
    Last edited by 4cvg; 10th July 2018 at 12:00 AM.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Demannu View Post
    We had a great talk at the PCCV meeting on Friday night by Russell Stuckey of Stuckey tyres. Of particular interest was his comments on the availability of classic tyres - many manufacturers are now re-making them.

So, a quick search of Stuckey's website comes up with this:
    Stuckey Tyres > Tyres > TyreSearch

3 brand-name options available. Obviously, this is in Melbourne, but it means that they do exist and they're in the country!

And I'd agree with the above comments - buy the best tyres you can. They're the only thing between you and the road.

I've had the Vredestein (155/80-15) on my Djet (as fitted when bought) & observe that it is appalling in the wet & a very sloppy handler in the dry. No thanks - I removed them as soon as possible; the Djet was transformed.

The trouble with the XZX & Xas is poor compounding for the wet (the Xas FF variant is much better but not available in the size). The wet situation is exacerbated in each case by poor aquaplaning resistance in deeper water (especially the Xas). No thanks.

The only reason I can see for buying the Michelins is an aesthetic desire to have a "period" tyre type that matches the car in appearance more than a modern tyre would. Not a motivation I'd have, given the performance deficit, but YMMV.

I have recently had passed to me a German classic car magazine classic tyre test. Included as a modern comparison was the (not very well thought of) Maxxis MA P1 (an obsolescent predecessor of the MA P3).

The Maxxis aced the test with its only rival being a modern-classic Dunlop (not the Aquajet). - see note*

The Xas & XZX were not included but the Vredestein was (poor results) & so was Michelin's XWX (rather better as a wet tyre than the Xas or XZX & so a useful reference point) which also was poor to mediocre.

The K715 is better in the wet than the MA P3 which is better than the older MA P1 which is better than XWX which is better than the Xas (or XZX). It also costs much less than usual at the moment & certainly less than a classic tyre (even the woeful Vredestein). And no, I don't own shares in Hankook; just trying to deploy (earlier stated) criteria to make a recommendation.

Classic tyres exist (& a number of local retailers exist) but they are, I suggest, to be avoided if performance matters & a decent modern alternative is available (& even non-performance drivers should value a tyre that will be part of the solution, not the problem, in an emergency brake or swerve in the wet). Given slow stock movement, there's also even more of a stock age caution if buying such tyres.

If anyone wishes a copy of the test article (it's in German but that proves not to be very much of a problem), then PM me with a regular email address & I'll send it to you as a PDF attachment.

Not that it's relevant here but very much the worst tyre on test was the faux XVS-Michelin which is marketed as Retro & made, I believe, by Nankang. A good number of Citroen DS owners have been fitting them.

Part of the Retro's poor wet performance would be compounding & that might be worse than Michelin's current Xas (or XZX) but the XVS pattern employed by the Retro is superior to the Xas laterally & that would help the shoulder to engage in the wet.

cheers! Peter

*Actually, Pirelli's CN36 was also a rival (I'd misremembered the test). I have fond memories of it back when it was new (no doubt recompounded now). The point stands though: that a mediocre modernish tyre like the MA P1 can do so well against the classic reproductions speaks volumes. 'Aced the test' is overstatement though.
    Last edited by 4cvg; 10th July 2018 at 12:31 AM.

It’s an interesting read this thread

Hankook Optimo K715 is what M & B sold me, I remember I was expecting up to $100 each but they came in well under that, maybe $80 but it was nearly a while ago. I just asked for tyres for the 403, not the best on the market, just good value for money, 403 doesn't need the best, I've never had them let go in the wet or lock up, steering feels good, nice and direct, ride is how it should be. But, mine probably only does a couple of thousand kms a year so you need to choose one for your driving style.
    David Cavanagh

FRENCH CONNECTION / PEUGEO WRECKING / RENOSPARES / CITROWRECK

03 9338 8191 or 03 93354008

34 KING St
    AIRPORT WEST
    VIC 3042

[email protected]

https://www.facebook.com/FrenchConect

VIP Sponsor

Yes, the Hankooks always worked well on my 203.

Thread Information