• Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Pug72
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By robmac

Thread: Help Please

Default Help Please

I am looking for an original Hydrovac brake booster unit for a 404.

The image below from the web, shows what I am looking for.

Advertisement

It doesn't have to be working, just in good external condition. When having my current one recoated ( Zinc Passivated). It has come back looking very second hand. It wasn't the coaters fault, just age and neglect of sitting out in the open for years. It is badly pitted and looks like... well you know.

Also need some of the plastic parts inside that hold the various rubbers.

Ideally, I would like one that is still on a wreck or been sitting without any fluid in it.

Please let me know if you can help.

Cheers,

Dano

HI Dano

Not sure if you have seen my thread on my 504 brake booster. Mine started leaking at the seals. Lewin at Peugeotspares had the seals and after running around Brisbane trying to find someone to help me, I have found a guy at Wynnum who runs an old school shop called Master Cylinder Exchange and can put the seals in for me. He had heaps of old school boosters lying around that he was rebuilding.

Might be worth a phone call.
    Dano likes this.

Hi Dano, the Hydrovac is not all that visible under the vacuum tank, but you are a stickler......is the damage on the front (more visible) part? Do you have a photo? I have a spare body but I don't know how it compares to yours, and also it was opened a bit brutally so will need some tweaking.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    2013 Ford Fiesta SE 1.6 manual
    2006 smart BRABUS Tailor-Made Canada 1 cabriolet
    2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200

Fellow Frogger!

this one on my parts car, it's look pitted and bad.

Help Please-20180628_103429.jpgHelp Please-20180628_103435.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tippett View Post
    Hi Dano, the Hydrovac is not all that visible under the vacuum tank, but you are a stickler......is the damage on the front (more visible) part? Do you have a photo? I have a spare body but I don't know how it compares to yours, and also it was opened a bit brutally so will need some tweaking.
    Australian delivery cars didn't vacuum reservoirs. At least none of the 404s I've wrecked had one, like wise the yellow doover.

And fwiw I've never seen a 404 booster with the yellow vacuum switch or solenoid fitted to it. Peugeotnut's images don't show one fitted.
    Mike Tippett likes this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Fellow Frogger!

Dano,
    You are probably trying to maintain originality with the brute original hydrovac?

Otherwise a PBR VH40 does a very similar job and is relatively easily serviced. ( The VH40 [was used on Austin 1800s- wash my mouth out!] and being larger than the very common VH44 made a very decent replacement for the original hydrovac.

John

Dano,

Look in you email inbox concerning a possible source of Girlock booster
    Dano likes this.

OK here is the rub,

The image I attached was a quick grab off the web, as I didn’t have my PC with all my images on it handy. Ah well.

The image came from a French thread on how to overhaul the unit. Thus, the differences between what Australia and Europe had. From what I can gather, this unit is for the thermostable brake configuration. They had an external vacuum tank, which I believe helped to compensate for the greater vacuum pressure required. (I’m assuming hear, so I could be wrong)

The image below was the original off the car.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image 1.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	107103

Thanks for the offers Pugnut and Mike, I’ll certainly keep you in mind if nothing turns up down under. There has to be one lying around here somewhere.

The truth is, I had two good ones, but after searching worldwide for the required parts and coming up empty, I decided to throw them out and go down the PBR Vh44 route. My old mate Murphy (as in Murphy’s Law) then popped up and kits started to become available in Europe. I was able to scrounge one locally. However, as stated earlier, it has literally been sitting on the ground, out in the open for years. It wasn’t until it was sandblasted for coating, that the real extent of the damage became evident. This also included the drum (?) that holds the diaphragm in place.

Bahay/John, I know I am going to the extremes, but I am so OCD, I’m CDO when it comes to originality for this car. One of my brothers calls me peDANtic. LOL.

So, if anyone has one or knows of someone who may have one, please let me know.

Cheers,

Dano

Dano,

For 404s VH 40s are the go, more boost than the VH44 and designed for disc brakes.

VH44s are a retrofit boosters for drum brake cars.
    bahay likes this.

The issue is that the Hydrovac has a 7:1 assistance ratio, so any replacement needs to be that high. Most boosters are half that.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    2013 Ford Fiesta SE 1.6 manual
    2006 smart BRABUS Tailor-Made Canada 1 cabriolet
    2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tippett View Post
    The issue is that the Hydrovac has a 7:1 assistance ratio, so any replacement needs to be that high. Most boosters are half that.
    Mike,

I know this will sound like sacrilege but I would posit that the disk braked 404 is a bit over boosted with the brute7:1 hydro vac.
    That servo device was first used with the thermostable drum brakes ( BIG single front wheel cylinder with one leading one trailing shoe) which probably did need the massive boost. Curious thing about the Thermostable drums was that they worked just as well in reverse as forward braking

Cheers

John

Quote Originally Posted by bahay View Post
    ( The VH40 [was used on Austin 1800s- wash my mouth out!]
    And so you should !

I had one in 1978/9 and it was the biggest lemon I've owned !

Fellow Frogger!

Default BMC= Bombs Made Cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    And so you should !

I had one in 1978/9 and it was the biggest lemon I've owned !
    Hahahaha,
    Road testers pitted the Austin 1800 against a 404 in 1969 and came away with the verdict that the most up to date BMC product was not really up to the then years old 404 design!

All the same the PBR VH40 was and still is a decent brake servo.

John

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bahay View Post
    Mike,

...That servo device was first used with the thermostable drum brakes ( BIG single front wheel cylinder with one leading one trailing shoe) which probably did need the massive boost. Curious thing about the Thermostable drums was that they worked just as well in reverse as forward braking

Cheers

John
    Why curious? It's double leading shoe brakes that don't work well in reverse!!

Hey Dano, In a worst case scenario, you could always treat the exterior like a body panel....bog / blade putty, spray putty, primer and top coat.

From the history, images and discussion thus far. Painting the booster would not be a suitable option for Dan.

Because originality is a major concern in the final outcome.

Thread Information