• Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Rally
  • 1 Post By driven

Thread: 504 speedo drive removal - help needed

Default 504 speedo drive removal - help needed

HI all

Advertisement

How do I remove the speedo drive? I have removed the grub screw but the speedo drive is not wanting to move.

This is a ZF3HP22 automatic, but I believe the speedo drive is the same as on the BA manual gearboxes

I need to replace the o ring as it leaks badly

Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 504 speedo drive removal - help needed-speedo-drive.jpg  

Wiggle it I suppose

Is that silicone all around the surface? If so, I'd say someone has tried to stop the leak previously. They may have even siliconed up the grooves on the side of the spindle, which will make it problematic to pull out. It is a push/pull fit, no twisting required. Does the cable slide out or is it stuck as well. If it is stuck, I'd gently tighten a pair of vise-grips or similar to the cable near the spindle and give it a gentle twist. Or place a suitable object (i.e a socket ) on the housing and push on the handle end of the grips. Not sure if it will work , just a suggestion.

Cheers,

Dan

The central metal piece is separate from the outer plastic (or nylon, I'm not sure) piece. The grub screw goes in through the metal of the gearbox, then completely through the plastic piece, and then a little way into a groove on the metal bit to anchor it in there.

It is a firm fit for both. Dano's suggestion is a good one. Silicone is a good glue.

If I remember correctly (and I may not ) the O ring is not always the source of the leak. Usually it is, but I think oil can sometimes come out from where central spindle seals. So the silicone may be to stop that.

Age and heat bake the O ring hard. So that is of course the first step.

Remove the grub screw completely , then with vise grips or similar pull the cable out , if it has been siliconed in it will require some effort.
    Then to remove the drive you need a 90 degree hook at one end , engage the hook into the grub screw hole and pull.

I use a pair of 90 degree cir clip pliers , they just fit in the cable hole and strong enough to pull drive out even with silicone.
    Dano likes this.
    Peugeot 504 Rally car V6
    Peugeot 504 LTI
    Peugeot 504 Ti
    Citroen SM
    Citroen Light 15
    Peugeot 406 SV 5 speed
    Peugeot 307 Wagon
    Toyota Land Criuser V8 Super charged ( to tow the rally car )
    Rally with www.AMSAG.com.au

Thanks everyone.

The blue RTV Silicone was a failed attempt to stop the leak and it has only been smeared around the outer edge. I did this a few months ago and even back then I was unable to remove the metal collar.

I actually have the peugeot tool to remove the speedo drive. I'll try again tonight with vice grips and a bit more force.

Thanks heaps

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by Pug72 View Post
    Thanks everyone.

The blue RTV Silicone was a failed attempt to stop the leak and it has only been smeared around the outer edge. I did this a few months ago and even back then I was unable to remove the metal collar.

I actually have the peugeot tool to remove the speedo drive. I'll try again tonight with vice grips and a bit more force.

Thanks heaps
    Pug 72,
    What does the Peugeot tool to remove the speedo drive look like? I need to do a similar job soon and would appreciate any helpful hints / info.

From memory (somewhat poor) you remove the securing stud completely and the drive shaft and gear and doover atop pulls out.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

When using vice grips just grip the sleeve
    Then using a screwdriver blade to lever between vice grips and casing.
    Saves damaging the sleeve.
    Dano likes this.

COL

Quote Originally Posted by Pug72 View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Thanks heaps
    If its like the Renault transaxles when you eventually get it out you will most likely find there is an "O" ring around the outside and a little seal that seals up the piece that drives the cable.

A good bearing and seal place will probably be able to get you a couple of spare parts and fix that annoying oil leak for good.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

Trouble is : I have a vague memory that the O-ring is non standard, and that although you may match the diameter, you may not get one of the correct thickness.

Hopefully I'm wrong on this. You know who will know though...good ol' Lewin.

Thread Information