504 Ditributor
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pug72

Thread: 504 Ditributor

Tadpole

Default 504 Ditributor

I have been having trouble with my 1974 504 distributors.

I have tracked down the problem being the little clear plastic/nylon insulating washer where the spring part of the points attaches to the metal base, was/is not seating properly. There has been some discussion re the type of distributor.

Advertisement

the book says that it is not a Bosch type but the other type whose name escapes me at the moment.

However, a bloke I know said that it looks like a Bosch distributor.

Is there any identifying marks that will show what brand it is. (it is still in the car so it could verywell have the name somewhere that I cannot see.)
    Could someone have fitted the wrong set of points?

When I shoved the nylon washer back in place the car starts first kick and runs perfectly. when it dislodges it will not start.

Is there an "electronic" Pointless distributor available for this motor"

Im pretty new at Peugeots.

I have photos but I cant work out if I can upload them.

Fellow Frogger!

COL

Sounds like you need a new set of points.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

You will need to identify the make of distributor before you buy points. It is stamped on the side so will not be visible easily, though if you clean off the sides with a small wire brush or a toothbrush and turps, you will see it more easily. Particularly if you use a small mirror.

504s came out with 3 brands : Ducellier (the most common and the best), Bosch (half OK, but not fantastic) and Paris Rhone, which were crap. If you talk to Lewin at Peugeot Spare Parts in Brisbane, he used to recommend getting rid of Bosch distributors and getting a Ducellier.
    If your distributor is a Paris-Rhone, DEFINITELY get rid of it. Luckily they only came out for a little while.

Points are a pain. I had 504s for many years and sometimes had good runs, but basically even with a Ducellier which has self-cleaning points, the engine goes out of tune after a while.....sometimes only one month. The points gap closes up. Often you don't really notice because the decrease in performance is small, but then you set the points gap again and the engine runs smoother.
    Condensors wear out but you're never sure if it's that or the points.

When buying points, it's best to get a condensor too. You don't HAVE to, but most people do.

The absolute best thing you can do is buy a secondhand 505 electronic system : distributor, module and spark coil. They used to be about $130. It's "set and forget"......no more mucking around with points. It will have to be from a Series 1 505 ....not series 2.
    They fit straight on because basically it's the same engine. All you have to do is find a mounting point for the module and coil in the engine bay somewhere, then figure out some simple wiring. Mounting it depends on where your current coil is mounted. It's not a difficult job....you will just need a timing light to set the timing once....then again in a year or two just to check.
    When I did this I breathed a sigh of relief....I was so sick of points by then. In terms of timing, the engine stays in tune for years !

If you get a secondhand 505 one just make sure the vacuum advance works. When the cap is off the distributor, suck on the little tube coming off the vacuum advance and the innards of the dizzie should move a bit.

You can buy (new) other brands of electronics which fit onto your existing dizzie and do the same.

By the way, VERY early 505s had points, but I think they changed to electronics in 1983.
    Last edited by Beano; 27th June 2018 at 09:50 AM.

A Ducellier distributor has the brand written on the cap (mine does)

see attached

504 Ditributor-504-engine-bay.jpg

Everyone says points are a pain, but I don't really have a problem with them - as long as they are clean and adjusted properly. My car is driven everyday around town in stop/start traffic. For preventative maintenance I check/adjust points every 6 months and I replace spark plugs and points + condenser every 12 months.
    BIGRR likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by 2pac View Post
    I agree

An electronic ignition system inside an authentic-looking distributor. I have one on my 504. Bolt in as a normal distributor. No extra wires etc. Not cheap but an elegant-looking solution if you are prepared to invest some money. Works like a charm

Fellow Frogger!

505 will probably have a different timing curve.

Quote Originally Posted by 2pac View Post
    505 will probably have a different timing curve.
    I could never notice any negative effects.

And a hall effect distributor from 505 SR fitted to any XN 2000 engine or 1800 engine invariably makes for easier starting and smoother running.

Part of this is probably because hall effect distributors are newer. Conversely many Kettering distributors are well past their use by date.

If you find a hall effect distributor always check the vacuum capsule. They are real PITA to repair.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

VIP Sponsor

The book would refer to French produced cars I would think. Only Australian cars around 1972 had the Bosch. 1974 model would normally have a Ducellier but after 44 years who knows what swapping around of parts has taken place.

Quote Originally Posted by both_au View Post
    I have been having trouble with my 1974 504 distributors.

I have tracked down the problem being the little clear plastic/nylon insulating washer where the spring part of the points attaches to the metal base, was/is not seating properly. There has been some discussion re the type of distributor.

the book says that it is not a Bosch type but the other type whose name escapes me at the moment.

However, a bloke I know said that it looks like a Bosch distributor.

Is there any identifying marks that will show what brand it is. (it is still in the car so it could verywell have the name somewhere that I cannot see.)
    Could someone have fitted the wrong set of points?

When I shoved the nylon washer back in place the car starts first kick and runs perfectly. when it dislodges it will not start.

Is there an "electronic" Pointless distributor available for this motor"

Im pretty new at Peugeots.

I have photos but I cant work out if I can upload them.

I agree with Robmac....the advance curve is ever so slightly different, but it makes for better running.

Just make sure the vacuum advance capsule works. Suck it and see.

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

I have a 1980 504 with a ducellier out of a 404 in it. Works fine - points done when the book says and it never gives any trouble. The Paris Rhone wasn't happy in it but plugged into my D Special and worked fine...

VIP Sponsor

Paris Rhone is a French Bosch. My best ever 404 motor had one of those fitted. Paris Rhone voltage regulators are also extremely good. You can buy new M48 curve (404 and early 504) Ducelliers from EAI for a couple of hundred.

Thread Information