GTi 180 PROBLEM!
  • Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Default GTi 180 PROBLEM!

Ok I am new here so be gentle.

I need to know if anyone has had or heard of any problems with the GTi 180. It is not because I want to buy 1. I already have one but after 2,000km it has decided to break the gearbox. Apparently something broke in the box and then caused the case to split and spill oil all over the road.

Pug Australia initially thought it might of been through driver abuse, but after telling them it was my second 206 GTi they calmed down. i just would like to know if I am the only reported case of this. The car is not that old and is treated very nicely.

I love the car but am very annoyed that this has happened and also annoyed about the initial response.

BTW: Nice Looking site you got here!

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybunnyv2
    Ok I am new here so be gentle.

I need to know if anyone has had or heard of any problems with the GTi 180. It is not because I want to buy 1. I already have one but after 2,000km it has decided to break the gearbox. Apparently something broke in the box and then caused the case to split and spill oil all over the road.

Pug Australia initially thought it might of been through driver abuse, but after telling them it was my second 206 GTi they calmed down. i just would like to know if I am the only reported case of this. The car is not that old and is treated very nicely.

I love the car but am very annoyed that this has happened and also annoyed about the initial response.

BTW: Nice Looking site you got here!

Firstly welcome to the board and sorry to hear about this. Hopefully they'll sort it all out for you with a minumum of fuss. Hang in there mate.

Can I ask were there any telltale signs or did it occur suddenly? Was it in city or highway driving? Have you had a look to see what actually caused the split? Was it pierced through or did it split at the joins? Was the oil burnt or still fresh looking?

It happened close to home.... I noted a tapping sound and pulled over to see if there was something stuck in the tyre. Then I noticed oil flooding out, and looked down the road to see a large stream. It was a real gusher. It was at night and I just called peugeot straight away and they took it from there.

It didnt really fuss me until they tried on the user abuse thing to be honest. I just thought to myself "hey its all covered by warranty". i think it will be all cool... i am just a little concerned about the time factor, being a different box from the GTi and all.

Isn't it basically the same gearbox (BE4?) as the regular gti ... just with different gearing on the first gear and cable rather than hydraulic linkage to the gear lever.

Anyway, sorry to hear of your troubles. First i've heard of it happening. Did they give you a loan car at all???

BTW. We have a AF Go-Kart day this sunday at Ace-Karts in Sunshine. We're having a BBQ at Footscray Park for a chinwag beforehand, so you can come and meet some of the melbourne AFers (and DeKa!). See the thread in the Events bit ...
    Then - 2001 206 Gti
    Now - 2000 306 Gti6
    Now - 1974 GS 1220 Club

Default Update

Ok guys after a few days of nagging Ive been given an answer on my problem.

Supposedly a bolt in the gearbox becam undone and was spat out the side of the casing punching a hole the size of a 5 cent piece.

The replacement part will not arrive until 7th June.

Its all a little dissapointing. You would think they would airfreight the thing FFS. Being a brand new car and all.

Youch!

That really sucks dude. Have they given you a loaner at least to ease the pain of not having a car until the new bits arrive?

I thought it was bad when my car spat the rear main seal out at 30,000k. At least though mine was driveable until the bits arrived.
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Oh baby!
    We got given a Commodore/Berlina
    The dealership has since put in a request to head officr for a more suitable car like a 307 maybe. I freaken hate commodores!

And compared to driving the 180..... well thats it, they really dont compare.

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

Oh baby!
    We got given a Commodore/Berlina
    The dealership has since put in a request to head officr for a more suitable car like a 307 maybe. I freaken hate commodores!

And compared to driving the 180..... well thats it, they really dont compare.

i'd be demanding something french at least

that's rubbing salt in the wounds of not having the pug to drive bieng given a comode to trundle around in
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    that's rubbing salt in the wounds of not having the pug to drive bieng given a comode to trundle around in
    Did someone say .. rear wheel driv, oversteer and drifting But seriously you'd think you would at least get a 206/307 ?

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

nJm

What dealer are you going to? Regans always have 206, 307 and one 406 Hdi as far as I know (although now you have to pay to use them).
    Nick
    1983 Peugeot 505 GR

"All of its cars from the 1.1 litre 205 through the ugly duckling 309 to the 2.2 litre 505 GTi had a rightness and a righteousness about them that turned every humdrum drive into a journey. Someone, I once wrote, in the bowels of Peugeot understands handling and how a chassis should feel." - Jeremy Clarkson

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by nJm
    What dealer are you going to? Regans always have 206, 307 and one 406 Hdi as far as I know (although now you have to pay to use them).
    Pay to use them ? For a warrenty job of that magnitude .. I'd hope not. For normal servicing I'm not surprised.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

i`ve had my 206 GTI180 for over a week now its done 2,000kms i have no problems so far (touch wood) i love the car so much

hope everythings go right for you
    97`black 306 style sold JFN 306
    04 Black 206 GTI 180 JFN 180 FOR SALE
    I HATE V8 LANDCRUISERS

WEST TIGERS= PREMIERS 05

They'll cover it, theres no way a bolt coming lose is your fault.
    That would really piss me off...

Make sure you get a brand new gearbox!!! I wouldn't be happy if they just fixed it...

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    Pay to use them ? For a warrenty job of that magnitude .. I'd hope not. For normal servicing I'm not surprised.

- XTC206 -
    Taylors charge for loaners for servicing - but for warranty work they bill it back to either Sime Darby or Peugeot. I had a 405 SRI for a week a while back. considering buying one as a 2nd run about to save clocking up uber k's on the 206. But then again a 205 would be as much fun
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Quote Originally Posted by jfn306
    i`ve had my 206 GTI180 for over a week now its done 2,000kms i have no problems so far (touch wood) i love the car so much

hope everythings go right for you
    I think it will be all ok....

How great is the sound of the 180.....

I miss it so much....

I work in Richmond and get to drive it up some tiny alley ways at fulll RPM.... echoing off the walls it sounds amazing.

Im pretty anal... so if they cock anything up theyll hear about it.

Supposedly a bolt in the gearbox becam undone and was spat out the side of the casing punching a hole the size of a 5 cent piece.
    that's French bolting for you, nothing like the Germans.
    Karl
    -----------------

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by storms_of_fate
    that's French bolting for you, nothing like the Germans.
    Must of been a Friday car

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

It didnt really fuss me until they tried on the user abuse thing to be honest. I just thought to myself "hey its all covered by warranty". i think it will be all cool... i am just a little concerned about the time factor, being a different box from the GTi and all.
    Well thankfully their investigation revealed the true cause! It's definitely the same box as the regular GTi - save for the 1st gear ratio like Lucin said. I haven't heard of one of those letting go before.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

I would feel abit ripped off owning a 180 and knowing its a slightly revised gearbox from the normal gti.

from the Gti's i have driven the gearbox feels abit light and fluffy( hardly sporty), has it been given a more solid change or anything in the 180's?

Quote Originally Posted by Reno
    I would feel abit ripped off owning a 180 and knowing its a slightly revised gearbox from the normal gti.

from the Gti's i have driven the gearbox feels abit light and fluffy( hardly sporty), has it been given a more solid change or anything in the 180's?
    As Lucin also mentioned, the gearbox now uses "Bowden" cables instead of the previous linkages, and as a result feels much nicer than the standard GTi throw - less travel, and much smoother (though not as short as the Griffiths quick shift kit).

As for feeling ripped off, after using the quick shift kit on my previous pug, I had no issues with the gearbox whatsoever. The ratios were fine - and now with the 180, 1st gear is a real hair pin delight
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206
    As for feeling ripped off, after using the quick shift kit on my previous pug, I had no issues with the gearbox whatsoever. The ratios were fine - and now with the 180, 1st gear is a real hair pin delight
    But not so good from stand still as a standard GTi ... we had 2x GTi180's on yesterdays "cracker" of a drive !!! And they both recon the 180 is an above 4500RPM machine .. THEN you really feel the diff between a 138 and a 180.

- XTC206 -

Now this is a .sig

Quote Originally Posted by XTC206
    But not so good from stand still as a standard GTi ... we had 2x GTi180's on yesterdays "cracker" of a drive !!! And they both recon the 180 is an above 4500RPM machine .. THEN you really feel the diff between a 138 and a 180.

- XTC206 -
    Having owned both, I can say that the 180 is totally fine from standstill. I do agree with the 4500+ thing but thats to be expected with vvt. I prefer the traction control off when fast starting in the dry to be honest.

In general the gearbox is much nicer too.

Damn you all! I so miss my poor little 180 right now.

Having owned both, I can say that the 180 is totally fine from standstill. I do agree with the 4500+ thing but thats to be expected with vvt. I prefer the traction control off when fast starting in the dry to be honest.

In general the gearbox is much nicer too.

Damn you all! I so miss my poor little 180 right now.
    Well if your missing it so much, im enjoying mine so much if thats any consolation only joking i hope you get it back soon.

Hey Fluffybunnyv2 can i ask what colour 180 you have and which dealer you purchased it from ?

Simon
    2002 Peugeot 206 XT 1.6 16v sold
    2004 Aegean Blue 206 GTI 180

1983 Peugeot 505 STI

Quote Originally Posted by GTI180
    Well if your missing it so much, im enjoying mine so much if thats any consolation only joking i hope you get it back soon.

Hey Fluffybunnyv2 can i ask what colour 180 you have and which dealer you purchased it from ?

Simon
    How great is it in the wet!

Purchased it from Peck & Stokes(Geelong) We live nowhere near geelong mind you, but they pick it up fo its services and leave us with a courtesy car.
    We chose Peck & Stokes as they were good to us with our GTi Rallye, we did a deal with them at the Melbourne Motorshow originally. Really great guys and there service manager is awesome, he really knows his pugs.

Its silver.

Default Update 2

Well I was informed today that they are only replacing the casing of the gearbox.

So a bolt comes out that was not done up properly gets spat through the cogs and cracks the casing. Please tell me how there would not be damage to my gearbox.

I have contacted head office and they dont appear to want to help.

if anyone has any tips on what to do in this case please contact me at [email protected]

I have run out of ideas and am beginning to regret my purchase.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... Last

Thread Information