Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Wildebeest
  • 1 Post By Beano
  • 1 Post By robmac
  • 1 Post By BarryC
  • 2 Post By Bruce Llewellyn

Thread: 504 Dash

Default 504 Dash

G'day all, I'm new to the Peugeot forum. I have been around the Citroen forum for a while, I'm assuming the Peugeot crowd are similarly enthusiastic.

I have just completed the Royal Flying Doctor Rally in a Peugeot 504, the car performed magnificently, I credit much of that to the Fulcrum Suspension, they were very generous supporters.
    Now we need to attend to a few issues and start to prepare the car for next year. Here is my enquiry.

How does one remove the dash from the car?

Advertisement

Has someone who has done it successfully have any advice/tips, my initial inspection has not yielded any obvious places to start.
    It's not outlined in the manual I have. Maybe there is a workshop manual that has this information?

Apologies in advance, you gotta start somewhere.

Kind regards
    Michael Berry
    M.BERRY
    68 DS21 BVH
    70 DS21 BVH
    70 D Super

Michael,
    To remove the dash pad, smite the overhanging part of the pad with the palm, this should free it. Metal clips retain the pad.
    The instrument panel [binnacle] can be removed easily.

Wildebeest.
    mberry likes this.

Do you mean the entire dash, rather than the black plastic top....what they call the 'crash pad" ?

If not, Wildebeest got it right....though the term "smite", used in workshop manuals, is a bit Biblical for my tastes.

Whack it upwards. Seriously. At one end is probably best. Then examine the clips and you will see how it is held on.

To remove completely, wind down the passenger window and move it sideways out the window a bit. Absurdly easy, compared to other cars.
    Last edited by Beano; 25th June 2018 at 02:58 PM.
    mberry likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Michael,
    To remove the dash pad, smite the overhanging part of the pad with the palm, this should free it. Metal clips retain the pad.
    The instrument panel [binnacle] can be removed easily.

Wildebeest.
    If you need to remove the entire dash assembly you need to disconnect the heater controls, slip the choke out of the slotted bracket, disconnect the speedo cable, to do which need the removal of the instrument cluster.

There are bolts either side in the middle (?), after removing them the entire dash comes back and allows the rest of the gear to be disconnected.

I wouldn't take the job of removing an entire 504 dash too lightly.

R &R the ventilation gear can be royal pita.
    mberry likes this.
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

As one who once had to remove an entire 504 dash I agree with Robmac. It's not brain surgery but it is time consuming and not a lot of fun.

Just make sure you have an industrial vacuum handy as the debris over the decades is pretty dramatic!
    Dust (given), broken windscreen bits (nasty), plant bits and lots of CSI ponderables.
    Brendan.

Fellow Frogger!

I thought the dash was the least of your problems with that car but the above comments are very valid

Smite upwards and the metal clips that hold it to the top of the metalwork should release .... if there are any metal clips left doing their work after previous removals and replacements ....
    mberry likes this.

Many thanks for the advice. A little bit of knowledge makes all the difference.
    Will smite the shite out of it! Just kidding, easy does it.
    M.BERRY
    68 DS21 BVH
    70 DS21 BVH
    70 D Super

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

If you have a proper trim removing tool, use that. The crash pad has a single metal prong centre front that plugs into a plastic bush at the the windscreen rubber.

The metal clips are the same as 404 door trim clips. Open the glove box and start at that end and you shouldn't damage anything.

Removal of whole dash- Remove crash pad and console. The rubber surround on the heater control panel has three of the same clips - it can be removed reasonably easily. There are two M6 bolts (one each end) that hold the heater control / ashtray assembly to the dash - remove these, unhook the assembly and leave it on its cables.

There is an M6 bolt accessible centre front with the crash pad off, one bolt each end accessible from underneath into each front door pillar. The choke cable can have the nut slackened and slides out of it's holder. There are two 11 mm nuts holding up the steering column which go through the dash, so remove steering wheel and steering column covers.

Early cars (up to 76) have the fuse panel on the left below the dash. There are three connectors (red, yellow and grey) connecting the dash wiring to the rest of the car under the glove box. Later cars are a pain as the fuse panel is on the driver's side. It takes about 3 times longer to pull a late model dash compared to an early one.

If the car has AC then the fight is really on...
    mberry and pugmachine like this.

Thread Information