504 Brake Booster seal replacement - any tricks to this?
  • Register
  • Help

Default 504 Brake Booster seal replacement - any tricks to this?

Hi all

Driving the 504 the other day and I noticed that the engine revs were higher than normal at idle and that I could hear a whistling sound from under the bonnet.

Advertisement

Popped the bonnet and narrowed the whistling to the brake booster. My first thought was the pipe from the inlet manifold had cracked/perished so I replaced that, but whistle was still there. I narrowed it down to air escaping around the flange that hold the master cylinder.

Quick phone call to Peugeot Spares expecting that I was up for an entire new booster, but a seal kit is available. So i picked this up.

I was also googling ebay and see this for sale:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PEUGEOT-...cAAAOSwo9Fa8vL

Within this ebay advert there some interesting looking instructions using a pressure gauge. I am not going to be changing any settings, just remove and replace seals.

Anyone had any experience with replacing seals on a brake booster?

Thanks
    Andrew

So i finally found some time to pop the bonnet and do some work on the 504. It was due for an oil change, so I dropped the oil and removed the filter (which is a lot messier of a job now with the air con compressor underneath).

Then i decided to get cracking at removing the brake booster. I had to remove the oil bath to give me some room.

Came out pretty easy considering it hasn't been touched for 46 years. I'll take it to a brake place at East Brisbane tomorrow along with the replacement seals.

Will report back when the brake booster is refurbished.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 504 Brake Booster seal replacement - any tricks to this?-brake-booster-location.jpg   504 Brake Booster seal replacement - any tricks to this?-front-booster.jpg   504 Brake Booster seal replacement - any tricks to this?-back-booster.jpg   504 Brake Booster seal replacement - any tricks to this?-back-booster-again.jpg   504 Brake Booster seal replacement - any tricks to this?-seals.jpg  

Hi Andrew, are you going to bring that car along to Bastille Day this year ?

Cheers.

Hi Beano, yes I will be there

But getting new seals put into the brake booster is turning into a difficult exercise with not many places keen to touch it.

I am trying a place in Wynnum tomorrow morning called master cylinder exchange. Fingers crossed they can do it.

Probably frightened of opening up a can of worms. Don't know why....John Palmer once told me they were REALLY simple inside. And I opened one up easily enough once. It did appear simple in there. Maybe they have never done a French one.....usually they last the life of the car.

I'd be concerned about the diaphragm. I bet the brake places think the same. That's more likely to have a hole in it than a blown seal.
    It's rubber so will obviously be stuffed by now.
    Can't you get a reconditioned one or a good second hand unit?
    They're held together by crimping I believe so you'd need the right tool to do it yourself but unless you could get the rest of the parts it's a waste of time. I bet Lewin would get you a good one.

I think the diaphragm is part of the kit. Is it, Andrew ?

They come apart easily by holding half in something secure, perhaps a vise, and twisting the other half. The tool used can (believe it or not) be anything you think fits the cutout bits.

Thread Information