A constant whining noise. How to get rid of it?
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree7Likes
  • 7 Post By Shoji

Thread: A constant whining noise. How to get rid of it?

UNM
    Fellow Frogger!

Default A constant whining noise. How to get rid of it?

I am trying to get some peace and quiet and am faced with constant whining.

The problem is coming from the throttle body. If I unplug the connector to the throttle body, the noise stops.

I had problems starting the car (307, 2002 1.6i) and it would initially only start after about 10 seconds cranking at wide open throttle, then die quickly if I closed the throttle. After revving the nuts off it, it seemed to settle down a bit, but the whine was noticeable before starting and again after switching the engine off.

Advertisement

I can post up an audio recording if it helps.

Is it normal for these units to whine, or is that itself a sign of failure?

Not much point cleaning it all up if it is already cactus.

I read the title and thought it was joke about the wife. Apparently not...
    59 Floride, 405STi, robmac and 4 others like this.
    “Listen very carefully, I shall say this only once.” Cheers. John

COL

The only help I can add is turn up the radio.

If you are having this much trouble with starting and keeping it running I would say your throttle body is on its way out.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

could it be an air leak?
    mums mitsubishi outlander does a whine noise at 100k,its air leak on the throttle body hose.

UNM
    Fellow Frogger!

Not an air leak as it does it even when engine not running.

Electrical then. I suppose it happens when ignition is in ACC position?

Either way, I would suspect an imperfect contact that carries some current. Have a look at wiring diagram see what the various wires are supposed to be doing and investigate the ones that are carrying large currents, maybe a ground or some positive (most likely).

It is possible to be a short as well, but a short would burn something relatively quickly and noise would stop (and so would your car in most likelihood).

Signal wires have low currents usually so they wouldn't get noisy, but that's not to say it is impossible.

This is if we hope it's not anything in the sensor itself, which would be more serious.
    Last edited by schlitzaugen; 22nd June 2018 at 04:07 PM.
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

Quote Originally Posted by schlitzaugen View Post

Either way, I would suspect an imperfect contact that carries some current. Have a look at wiring diagram see what the various wires are supposed to be doing and investigate the ones that are carrying large currents, maybe a ground or some positive (most likely).

It is possible to be a short as well, but a short would burn something relatively quickly and noise would stop (and so would your car in most likelihood).

Signal wires have low currents usually so they wouldn't get noisy, but that's not to say it is impossible.

This is if we hope it's not anything in the sensor itself, which would be more serious.
    Modern Bosch alternators have a Dc to DC converter within them. With the ignition on and engine not running, some random alternators
    can emit a constant pitch "squeal", to take guess I'd say it's 5khz.

Which happens to be a frequency that is particularly annoying to humans.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

There you go. Good to know, thanks Rob.

But that would not explain why the hum goes away when the connector to the sensor is unplugged.

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

This frequency ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz_NKY312ok

Yep....that's irritating

But that would not explain why the hum goes away when the connector to the sensor is unplugged.
    Fair comment, that's what happens when you don't read the first post in depth.

I'd be looking for air leak too -can't see anything else that would cause a "whining noise".
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

Hmm. Perhaps you should read his post in its entirety, Rob. The hum is there with the engine off.

UNM
    Fellow Frogger!

Yes indeed.

Some good thoughts there.
    I have removed and reseated the contacts a couple times to clean the contact surface. No noise at the moment, but the throttle body is sitting in the engine compartment disconnected from the manifold so not started (my next days off are during the week).

Less likely to be the alternator as the noise was definitely related to the throttle valve being connected/disconnected (with the engine off). Wouldn't think it would alter battery load enough to cause/stop a squeal. I'll have a read though of google links and look at wiring diagram in the Haynes manual.

Thanks for giving me a few things to consider guys.

UNM
    Fellow Frogger!

Ok. The latest:

Put the clean throttle body basck on the connector and videoed it.

It is normally about 95% closed, just a slight air gap at the valve.
    When I turn on ignition, it opens slightly, then closes completely. Whine happens when it is fully closed.
    If i operate throttle, the valve reacts as expected.
    If I leave ignition on, no throttle, it stays fully closed and whines for a few seconds (10 or so), then returns to the default position as when disconnected.

So, the whine may well be normal.

Not sure if the throttle valve is stuffed, the pedal position sensor, or something else in the ECU.

Will put the Lexia cable on it in a couple days to check any fault codes when I have time.

UNM
    Fellow Frogger!

Seriously unhappy.

Yesterday the car gave me an anti-pollution fault when I started it up

Today I hooked up the pp2000/lexia setup at long last & it would not connect to the 307 at all. I swear last time it would at least talk to the engine and auto gearbox. pp2000 really annoys me as I just don't know what to expect and whether it is the s/w, cable set, or the crappy old computer.

Anyway, my android tablet with ELM327 interface and Torque app found two fault codes (P0120 and P0121) - both relating to throttle position sensor. I tried unplugging the connector from the throttle pedal then reseating it. Car seems to be running OK for now, not bleating about any errors.

The whining is definitely intermittent at the moment and seems to be on a regular cycle if the ignition is left on, without starting the engine.

How about the hose that goes to the brake booster? If it has a small crack or pinhole you'll lose tuning and it could make a reverse fart type of a whine.

What about those kids sitting in the back?

Thread Information