Peugeot 504 Stalling - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Peugeot 504 Stalling

Fellow Frogger! Bruce Llewellyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by driven View Post
    Well, the 504 must be on the way out, time for a burial.
    Tell it sternly that you will be going to SIMS Metal if you don't perk up
    If doesn't come good, shred it and get a BA Ford for towing
    What a terrible suggestion! - I sold my surplus 504s for export to the middle east!

Advertisement

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice so far, you were right in suggesting that the ignition could be a problem - the spark was a bit orange. We replaced the coil and ballast resistor - this helped immensely as it runs better now and has a beautiful blue-white spark (at least on the first plug today...).

However it still has a flat spot when taking off - the mechanic thinks the carby is the problem and so does the auto-electrician. Have been recommended to put one of these on - does this look like a good idea? https://www.ebay.com.au/i/173361405808?chn=ps

Kind regards,
    Michael
    Current: 406 Coupe, 504 Sedan

Previous: 306XSi, 205GTi, 206Gti, 505 V6, 505 Wagon, 504 Sedan, 504 Wagon, 306Gti6, 306XT, 205Si, Citroen XM, Citroen Xantia

Quote Originally Posted by aquinian View Post
    Have been recommended to put one of these on - does this look like a good idea? https://www.ebay.com.au/i/173361405808?chn=ps

Kind regards,
    Michael
    Who recommended that?

I asked about putting one onto my 505 and was given a stern warning not to. I'll be interested to see if the recommendations on here have changed!

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Current cars: Peugeot 307 HDi Touring; Peugeot 306 Cabriolet; Peugeot 406 HDi, Peugeot 505 Familiale
    Previous cars: Peugeot 404;
    Renault 16TS;
    Peugeot 504 1800;
    Peugeot 504 GL;
    Peugeot 504 LTI;
    Peugeot 505 Familiale;
    Peugeot 604 (converted to TD)
    Peugeot 306 Cabriolet

Lol! A carburetor expert. But only over the phone - hence my question here.

Previous: 306XSi, 205GTi, 206Gti, 505 V6, 505 Wagon, 504 Sedan, 504 Wagon, 306Gti6, 306XT, 205Si, Citroen XM, Citroen Xantia

Fer F$C&sake don't do that.
    The original carby[Solex?] should be pretty good and you can no doubt get kits for them though I don't know from where.
    The go-fast option is a Weber but you need to know the exact flavour. There was one that they had on Cortina's and some other fords but I never got my hands on one when I had my 504. I ran it with a big twin throat Solex that worked OK.

I'm guessing that the Holley suggestion may be tongue-in-cheek. A Holley is overkill, Aquinian. Especially since you have had the Solex rebuilt / re-kitted.

Webers are ok, but ones from Fords require a bit of fiddling to fit : they need to be re-jetted....even ones from 2 litre Cortinas. And that's a hassle. Plus a throttle spindle extension has to be made up. Even after that you will not always get linear acceleration...there will be a flat spot, then a lot of oomph suddenly.

If you actually are after a Weber, best bet is one from a Renault Fuego....no re-jetting required and they fit straight on with the least amount of fiddling. Linear acceleration.

Better stick to the Solex...they're tuned to that engine.
    Last edited by Beano; 28th June 2018 at 05:15 PM.

Yep...solex goes good.

Rebuild kits are available and there is a guy in Brisbane who can rebuild.

Cheers for the advice guys - will persist with the Solex then (for now anyway!)

Just got to sort this annoying flat spot out at low revs - will check for a leak next.

Also, here's a photo of her after a recent polish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Peugeot 504 Stalling-504.jpg  
    505604 likes this.

Lovely curves !

There are a number of potential weak links you could check. Just work through em methodically.

......Did you take off the distributor cap and suck on the vacuum advance and see if the innards of the distributor move ?
    .....Don't forget that if there is any sign of uneven firing, or chugging, that the spark plug insulators are an often overlooked weak link.

BTW, the brass jets that screw into the Solex carby from the outside are both 8 mm hex head but also have a flat screwdriver slot. However it's best to never use a screwdriver on them as the brass breaks easily and then they look like crap.

If you ever have trouble with it not idling, the problem will almost invariably be that the brass jet on the passenger side has a bit of dirt on it. Either dirt or a piece of old fuel pump diaphragm. I used to always carry around a tiny 8mm socket and handle.
    When you take it out, you can often (but not always) see the bit of dirt sitting on top of the jet, next to the tiny hole, as that is the side the fuel flows from.
    Last edited by Beano; 4th July 2018 at 07:05 AM.
    Wildebeest likes this.

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information