2008 grip control modes
  • Register
  • Help
    Fellow Frogger!

Default 2008 grip control modes

I have a 2008 with the centre dial for the grip control modes.

The various modes are Off, normal(?), snow and sand.

Advertisement

Although I'm not intending to do scrub bashing or fording deep rivers, I was still wondering which one seemed to be a "dirt road" mode. I can't find anywhere on the web a clear description of what these modes actually do to the power distribution. I'm happy to dial in any of these modes if it may be of some benefit on our (many) dry dirt roads. If they're muddy, I have a dial setting to use - although its probably better to avoid muddy roads anyway - they can be very deceptive in any car - even my 504!

Cheers

I'm guessing the Owner's Manual doesn't say much on the subject?

Is there a description in there?
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

1000+ Posts

It is a range of settings used by the ESP in slip conditions.

All terrain normal allows a lot of slip when moving off, and can allow large torque differences on each of the front wheels. It cuts out at about 80 kph. Best on muddy roads, it would be useful turning on dirt roads of the type I used to skid around on in my youth.

Sand mode lets both wheels slip a little simultaneously. A loose ground setting, it also cuts out as you speed up.

Fellow Frogger!

The grip control page in the manual is extremely unhelpful - to me, anyway. It simply calls them

Standard (ESC) Icon shows two straight tyre tracks "calibrated for a low level of wheel spin.."

Snow - snowflake icon like the dreaded AL4 malfunction warning!- "adapts strategy to the conditions of grip encountered for each of the two front wheels" - active up to 30 Km/h

All Terrain - squiggly road surface icon - Description mud, damp grass ... "allows considerable spin on the leasy grippy wheel to optimise clearing of mud ..." etc

Sand with cactus icon - "allows little spin on the two driving wheels" active to 120 Km/h
    and

Off (which does what??)

I'm still no wiser as to which might be the best choice for dry dirt roads and welcome your advice. Don't want to enter the DAKAR, just curious!

Cheers

PS
    On reflection, perhaps the SAND mode might be the best option?

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    It is a range of settings used by the ESP in slip conditions.

All terrain normal allows a lot of slip when moving off, and can allow large torque differences on each of the front wheels. It cuts out at about 80 kph. Best on muddy roads, it would be useful turning on dirt roads of the type I used to skid around on in my youth.

Sand mode lets both wheels slip a little simultaneously. A loose ground setting, it also cuts out as you speed up.

Thread Information