Pug 206 a/c and PS questions
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SLC206
  • 1 Post By SLC206

Thread: Pug 206 a/c and PS questions

Default Pug 206 a/c and PS questions

I have to swap over aircon and power steering parts from one 206 to another. Have a few questions.

Advertisement

Power steering - Iím changing the low pressure PS return line. Any tips or watch outs? whatís needed to undo at the rack end?
    Will any clamp do on the pump end? - I obviously canít replicate the factory clamp, but would a normal style hose clamp be sufficient. Is there any O rings or seals that need replacing?

Aircon - I have to change the condenser at the front. My plan was to undo the aluminium lines at each relevant end and swap the condenser, the lines and that little reservoir thing from one car to the other. Again, any watch outs? Both cars appear to have no gas in the system - one due to the accident, and the other due to the noises and lack of cooling apparent. Iím definitely assuming there will be O rings to change on the fittings. Anyone know what size and where to get them?

Yes I know I could get a mobile guy in and pay someone to do it, but Iím trying to do this myself on the cheap.
    KB

This piccy may help, although the description of the o-rings is not exhaustive:

Pug 206 a/c and PS questions-206ac.jpg

I remember once being told (many years ago) that to change the main a/c pipes it's an engine out job, due to the fact they snake around the sump area. That may have been a GTi-only thing but it seemed a bit dubious to me.
    Last edited by SLC206; 12th June 2018 at 10:38 AM.
    Berridale likes this.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thanks. That will help.
    I'm only changing the front section from the condenser to the compressor, so it should only be a few o rings I need. In fact I've already got those parts off the damaged car but this morning but then the showers came. I think I can avoid changing the main lines it looks like.

You haven't got a similar pic of the power steering do you?
    Getting to the hoses on the steering rack looks like it will be a pig of a job!

A search on here showed that the last person who posted about it on here (lion5) gave up through lack of tools and motivation. Where's Addo when you need him?
    KB

Do you have a VIN? I can give you a nice pic of the GTi PS system, but I'm not sure if it's the same as your 206s.

Last 8 digits of VIN or PM if shy
    JohnW likes this.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

2003 XR Auto

Thanks
    KB
    KB

It's actually different (whereas the condenser piping on the other pic is the same) - there you go:

Pug 206 a/c and PS questions-206ps.jpg

I would think any decent jubilee clamp would be fine for the pipe.
    Last edited by SLC206; 12th June 2018 at 01:06 PM.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Thanks Simon.
    I’m liking these 206’s at the moment. They seem straight forward and easy to work on so far - although I haven’t tackled that power steering manifold at the steering rack yet. A quick visit to my local Peugeot dealer (Sinclair at Penrith) and I have the orings I need for PS and aircon on order at a massive $17.25!
    They tell me they should be in tomorrow, but it will probably be the weekend before I can get back to working on the car.
    KB

1000+ Posts

I'm gearing up to do the timing belt on a GTi and that defo doesn't look easy! Technically, yes, but physically is the problem.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

SLC206,

You wouldn’t happen to have the diagram showing the radiator, condenser, shroud etc for my car?
    Just need to check where a couple of rubber pieces go.
    KB

Hope this helps a bit.

Radiator:

Pug 206 a/c and PS questions-206rad.jpg

Condensor:

Pug 206 a/c and PS questions-206cond.jpg

Shroud/Fan:

Pug 206 a/c and PS questions-206shroud.jpg

Coolant pipes:

Pug 206 a/c and PS questions-206pipes.jpg
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

It does thanks. Just for my knowledge, is all that info coming from Servicebox?

Somewhere on the net (UK P206 forum I think), I found the instructions for changing the steering rack which looks like it is partial instructions for changing the power steering pipes (and flushing the system) as part of that process. It looks like I need to remove the front exhaust piece, wheels, disconnect the tie-rods and/or ball joints; then lower the lower subframe (supported) to get access to the manifold where the pipes bolt into the steering rack - does this sound right for anyone who has done it?

Thanks
    Kevin
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

Those are straight out of servicebox.

I haven't looked at the power steering since last year, but your description sounds about right. The pipes connect near the front of the rack, so are a bit awkward to get at. Fairly easy with the subframe dropped slightly.
    You will probably need to disconnect the steering column from inside the cabin. It's a simple clip to take off.
    206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Oil cooler, Quaife LSD, E85.
    Build nearly finished...

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:45.6
    Phillip Island - 1:58.4
    NŁrburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

1000+ Posts

Hmmm, my power steering hose in front of the engine (the rubber bit) is sweating PS fluid so I might have to do part of this procedure. Sounds like a bummer.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

The a/c compressor o rings supplied weren’t correct so it’s back to the dealer to try to swap them over and order the right ones. It seems there are two types of compressors on these.

I managed to get myself into servicebox thanks to some old Addo instructions - what a great piece of kit!
    I know we’re not official users, but it’s great for basic info. Thanks Simon for leading me to that.

I rang the old Canberra based mechanic yesterday and picked his brain on what fluids he used in this, and other Peugeots. He seemed happy to share his thoughts which was great. I have the owners book, but no service booklet but he used to keep fairly meticulous records as his invoices which he gives to the owners and in turn I was able to get off the previous owner.
    KB

Sorry, KB - I should have checked more carefully after you supplied the VIN. The a/c pic was from before that.
    Regards,

Simon

----

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    Sorry, KB - I should have checked more carefully after you supplied the VIN. The a/c pic was from before that.
    No dramas. My wife's just been to the dealers and ordered the correct ones (we believe). The guy I dealt with went off the print out I had taken, and not verified it despite the fact he had the VIN given to him. He said "I supplied the part number" which is true, but lesson learnt - make them confirm it via the VIN.

I think even the diagram on servicebox shows the large 22mm O rings for my VIN, but the listing says there are two possible compressors. It isn't that easy to determine perhaps. My compressor has a different style manifold where the pipes bolt on and requires a collar style o ring/Seal rather than the normal O ring style.
    KB

Got all the right seals now. The correct ones were a bit more expensive than the incorrect O rings, coming in at $53 instead of $7.15!
    So, I’m in for about $67 in parts now.

Waiting on a T35 torx bit, then I’ll tackle the removal of the PS lines.
    KB

So, I got the power steering pipes off the parts car during the week once my T35 torx driver bit arrived.
    Today was the day. Put the pipe onto the auto car, then started putting the front end back together and on.

Luckily I decided to put power steering fluid in before coolant. Poured some in, moved the wheel left to right a few times then topped it up again. All good, until I got the reservoir to start holding fluid. Topped it up again carefully then started to check underneath. Drip drip drip! Buggar. Pulled the front end off again radiator, shroud etc thinking it was either the s/h pipe I’d fitted; or the clip on the reservoir. But no they were all good. Lifting the rubber cover revealed two cracks in the plastic reservoir that must have happened in the accident. I lifted up the cover, but not that high so didn’t see the damage in time previously. Now I have to pull the power steering pump off the spare car and swap them over. Lucky I’m getting good experience at all this Peugeot business!

Will try again in the morning. Would really like to finish it off tomorrow and have it back together - save for the front bumper which needs more work.

The power steering pipes were fiddly, but manageable once I had the right torx bit. Used up all the new o rings and seals so my $67 in parts didn’t go to waste. There’s a fair bit of stuffing around to be able to lower the subframe to get access to that damn torx screw!
    Arguably a little bit easier in the auto than the manual but that could also be that the auto was in daylight, and having already done the manual car.

KB

And of course, you have to reverse all of that once you get the pipes back in.
    KB

Well for those following at home. Swapped the power steering pump over. Found that surprisingly easy to get it off the manual. Bit harder on the auto but that was because the holes in the pulley weren’t lined up with the screws. Got it done. Struggled a bit with the ancillary belt. Had to google that as it has the spring loaded tensioner with hex head bolts rather than the torx screws but a 13mm socket and bar gave me the leverage. I’d already worked out it was a left handed thread. I should’ve bought a new belt and changed it while I had such good access - I have one on the way now.

Filled the radiator bottle up and tried to bleed the system, then I have what appears to be a radiator weep. It was a s/h radiator out of the manual but looked ok. Maybe it’s been damaged moving it around, storing it and putting it and out a few times. I’ll have to take a close look at it in the daylight as it was approaching 7pm by that stage.

After packing up the tools, I connect the scanner and read the codes. Initially it had three - aircon pressure (not yet regassed); a misfire; and a more general code. Cleared those then a very general code has come up P1612 - refer to manual. Any ideas?

KB
    KB

Fellow Frogger!

On the top belt cover there is one screw that take you an hour to get out, throw it away.
    both engine mounts and support the engine with a trolly jack to raise it.
    Once raised you have more room .
    Mark everything with paint.
    It's fiddly to say the least and you must have peace to do the job.

Berridale, I meant a new ancillary belt is on the way. The timing belt was done not that long back with the PO at a Canberra mechanic - well 20k and 3 yrs.

Now I know the trick, changing the ancillary belt when it arrives will be easier but access more restricted since the headlights and front end are back in.
    KB

Thread Information