• Register
  • Help
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By salman
  • 1 Post By dino
  • 1 Post By Bobomacho

Thread: Sharks and dodgy RWCs

Default Sharks and dodgy RWCs

A friends daughter bought a 307 Hdi wagon for $7kplus,The shark provided a rwc.Her dad suggested I do a full service,of course every filter was rotten but the things I noticed were:
    Two chips on screen with cracks spreading.
    One rear tyre bald to limit,the other rear soo badly scalloped it howls at all speeds.
    A firestone and bridgestone on front,tread ok but not a clever thing to mix two brands with different traction.
    Tailgate latch soo loose about to fly off.
    So its best to get an independent tech to do a pre purchase inspection.
    I have advised him to go back to the clowns as the 3 month warranty makes them liable.
    Just cant believe the dodgy bussiness that goes on.

Advertisement
    hypermiler likes this.

bob
    1000+ Posts

G'day,

Quote Originally Posted by salman View Post
    I have advised him to go back to the clowns as the 3 month warranty makes them liable.
    and nothing ever changes. Similar experience decades ago, BIG dealer in Ballarat Rd Sunshine, still exists in name only.

Took the car back, they had it for a week and did nothing. Bloke next door worked for Dawson St police, traffic division lived there at the time, he suggested I drop it in at their garages.

Got a 'phone call from the dealer the next day "would I be kind enough to bring the car in...."

Same approach might still work off the street "gee I just got this car and it doesn't feel safe.... "

cheers,
    Bob

That must be one good 307 for 7k

Fellow Frogger!

Good to remind people about the 3 month statutory warranty on some used cars from dealers:
    https://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/cars...car/warranties
    Many exclusions to be aware of!
    406 HDi

Ha. I am not sure what people expect from s/h car dealers?

Were the tires shiny at least?
    ACHTUNG ALLES LOOKENPEEPERS

Das computermachine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfusen und poppencorken mit spitssparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken bei das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets-relaxen und watch das blinkenlights.

A friends daughter bought a 307 Hdi wagon for $7kplus,The shark provided a rwc.Her dad suggested I do a full service,of course every filter was rotten but the things I noticed were:
    Two chips on screen with cracks spreading.
    One rear tyre bald to limit,the other rear soo badly scalloped it howls at all speeds.
    A firestone and bridgestone on front,tread ok but not a clever thing to mix two brands with different traction.
    Tailgate latch soo loose about to fly off.
    So its best to get an independent tech to do a pre purchase inspection.
    With due respect but why would you need an independent tech TO SEE THE OBVIOUS: chips in windscreen, bald tyres and loose latches...

I think somebody saw somebody coming...

cheers

dino
    Ceenine likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dmccurtayne View Post
    That must be one good 307 for 7k
    Indeed. Even though the HDI seems to be the best of them, that is expensive.

If I was buying a 307, I wouldn't get any other model. HDIs have got a good repo here on Aussiefrogs.

In fact, you would have to pay me to receive any other model of 307. I think the others are riddled with problems.
    Last edited by Beano; 12th June 2018 at 08:40 PM.

Fellow Frogger!

Default Sharks and dodgy RWC

The RWC has presumably been signed by an authorised tester ( unless forged)

If you can document the faults and inform VicRoads he stands to lose his licence, which is worth a bit of money to most businesses.

If he is repeat offender you would be doing the world a favour

If VicRoads investigation shows RWC forged or altered the dealer could well be in a bit of trouble too

I would go for it

Andrew

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by dino View Post
    With due respect but why would you need an independent tech TO SEE THE OBVIOUS: chips in windscreen, bald tyres and loose latches...

Doesn't sound like much respect, or empathy.
    The very start of the quote you replied to tells you this was a third hand decision, by what sounds like an inexperienced buyer.

Buying from a dealer is supposed to help you avoid these issues, not exacerbate them.

I agree with Andrew Watkins, I'd be reporting the dealer and the RWC issuer to Vicroads and whoever oversees dealer licensing. Some of the issues mentioned aren't trivial.
    206 GTi 180 - '804 Cat Cams, Jenvey DBW 48mm ITB's, Emtron KV8 ECU, HP Electronik PDM, AIM MXS Dash, Custom Wiring Harness. AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Oil cooler, Quaife LSD, E85.

Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:40.2
    Phillip Island - 1:58.4
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

1000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Watkins View Post
    The RWC has presumably been signed by an authorised tester ( unless forged)

If you can document the faults and inform VicRoads he stands to lose his licence, which is worth a bit of money to most businesses.

If he is repeat offender you would be doing the world a favour

If VicRoads investigation shows RWC forged or altered the dealer could well be in a bit of trouble too

I would go for it

Andrew
    agree

Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    Indeed. Even though the HDI seems to be the best of them, that is expensive.

If I was buying a 307, I wouldn't get any other model. HDIs have got a good repo here on Aussiefrogs.

In fact, you would have to pay me to receive any other model of 307. I think the others are riddled with problems.
    100% had one and loved it but being hands on with these since new 1.6 petrol manual probably best long term

Sold mine for 1200 with 220k

Quote Originally Posted by speaksgeek View Post
    Doesn't sound like much respect, or empathy.
    The very start of the quote you replied to tells you this was a third hand decision, by what sounds like an inexperienced buyer.

Buying from a dealer is supposed to help you avoid these issues, not exacerbate them.

I agree with Andrew Watkins, I'd be reporting the dealer and the RWC issuer to Vicroads and whoever oversees dealer licensing. Some of the issues mentioned aren't trivial.
    I m guessing you are licenced driver so have completed basic tests that got you through your l and p plates...
    Right.
    I ve met Salman... he is a gentleman and an expert... and i m sure he undetstands what i meant...
    Fact is... every LICENCED driver should be aware of BASIC safety aspects of any vehicle... eg. Cracked or damaged windsreens... bald tires... damaged seatbelts... faulty lighting... etc etc...
    One shouldnt need an expert for obvious faults...
    A compression test... a coolant pressure test... obd fault read... suspension component condition and many others...
    Yes... an expert check for these is wise...
    But paying for somebody to tell you a headlight is cracked or a seatbelt isnt retracting properly... is imo...with due respect... STUPID.

Cheers

Dino

Great feedback folks,I made a list and they called the shark who then said "bring it in and we will sort it out".You see how brazen they are with no shame about selling a car with soo many faults,but are being "very kind" to fix!I have offered to check it before it leaves the premises,lets give the crook one last chance.Dino the chips were just tiny dots and were pointed out by buyer to which the shark said "thats not going to spread" well spread they have.I know what you mean but having dealt with wide range of customers I am amazed some even dont know how to check oil/water etc,some how to open bonnet and how to change a wheel.Thats a separate discussion,the crooked Shark just mis uses peoples naivety.

Its done low kms thats why price may be justified

Great feedback folks,I made a list and they called the shark who then said "bring it in and we will sort it out".You see how brazen they are with no shame about selling a car with soo many faults,but are being "very kind" to fix!I have offered to check it before it leaves the premises,lets give the crook one last chance.Dino the chips were just tiny dots and were pointed out by buyer to which the shark said "thats not going to spread" well spread they have.I know what you mean but having dealt with wide range of customers I am amazed some even dont know how to check oil/water etc,some how to open bonnet and how to change a wheel.Thats a separate discussion,the crooked Shark just mis uses peoples naivety.
    I really hope it all works out in the end... I d still like to see the book thrown at the pricks as recommended by Andrew... I hate people like this...
    But this is why "the buyer" must be so careful (even with current legislated protections) and "educated"...
    It reminds me of a time when I was much younger and used to drive this old triumph 2000 (1969) from melbourne to geelong... I was poor as hell and struggled paying for fuel let alone the upkeep the car needed so badly... I used to slipstream behind semis just to keep my fuel costs down (I was clueless about su carbies then and didnt realise damper fluid was even used in them) but I digress... tyres were bald... suspension rubbers were even then 20 odd years old... brakes so bad i actually lost them one day in heavy traffic and only
    my skill and a helping hand from upstairs helped me stop it without hitting anything hard)... I was aware of all faults... hence why if I was ever stopped by the police I think it would have been insulting the officers intelligence (most anyway) if I simply said I "DIDNT KNOW"... ignorance is no excuse at law... and I think its wise that your friends daughter learns the basics...

cheers and good luck with it...

dino

We don't have rwc in WA, but the cars still have to be legal at sale - in other words, able to pass the inspection if it was tested.
    The 207 my son just bought was in the dealer for 2 weeks by their word, and so I have to believe that they knew of the fault codes that the car threw on the way home. They must have cleared them and hoped they didn't reappear during the test drive.
    It is possible that they just didn't drive it over the time they had it, but......really?????
    Joke's on them though as I have tracked down each issue at zero extra cost.
    There were no "mechanically visible" issues on the car to my "unfamiliar with pug td" eye, but the faults didn't show up until my son was well on the way home.
    I rang the yard early the next day to let them know of the trouble, and the senior salesman who I spoke to basically tried to fob me off.
    By the way, the car would have passed roadworthy on mechanicals. The faults would not have stopped that - I think.
    Looking around yards and online for my son has shown me that yards have not changed in recent years.
    My son only came to one yard to check a car that I liked (we missed it), but he said afterwards that he always thought the jokes and stories about "used car salesmen" were exagerated, but now knows differently.

Fellow Frogger!

Bullseye and star cracks will only fail if equal to or above 16mm (Multiple -16mm is also fine) and a crack is more than 150mm in the wiped area. Cracks don't spread during the 'time of inspection'.

Tyres failing is black and white. They are either above the wear indicators or on them or <1.5mm in normal wearing section of tyre. You cannot fail a car for tyre scalloping, noisy tyres or different tread - left to right nor front to back.

Your rear latch issue would only likely fail a rwc if the boot seal was able to let in exhaust gases.

These are the facts. A RWC is a 'minimum safety check' although it doesn't feel like it sometimes when you are trying to obtain one and shops over service to squeeze the $ from you.

If the sales yard did fix these issues then they are being kind. Moral of the story yes, get a pre-purchase inspection.
    hypermiler likes this.

Over the years, out of interest, I've read through the Victorian RWC requirements and I've found it to be a worthwhile read. For example, as Bobomacho points out, not all windscreen defects make a windscreen unroadworthy. Also, an RWC is not a substitute for a good pre purchase inspection. I think the RWC rules are downloadable for every state.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Chisholm View Post
    Over the years, out of interest, I've read through the Victorian RWC requirements and I've found it to be a worthwhile read. For example, as Bobomacho points out, not all windscreen defects make a windscreen unroadworthy. Also, an RWC is not a substitute for a good pre purchase inspection. I think the RWC rules are downloadable for every state.
    Unfortunately Peter,

The whole matter of issuing a RWC is discretionary.

So complain as much as you like, the RWC license holder has the final say.

And you can't force a person to issue a RWC because you feel hard- done-by when interpreting the legality of a vehicle.

For RWCs I travel to Clifton Hill area, because I know the RWC inspector is sensible in his expectations of what he will find on used vehicle.

Locally the inspectors are zealots and write their own rules.

It's fruitless to argue the toss and Vic Roads aren't likely to care if the inspector is more stringent that stipulated by Law.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

Thread Information