Risk of Filter Blocking
  • Register
  • Help

Default Risk of Filter Blocking

Hi guys,

Advertisement

My wife's Peugeot 308 Touring 2008 1.6HDi has this error message coming up which suggests that the DPF filter has excessive soot build up that requires regeneration. For you guru's out there has anyone experienced this and resolved this without a pricey visit to the Pug dealer, which in my case, is some 450km away!! She has given the car a high rev run to see if that would clear it but no luck.

Thanks in advance.

1000+ Posts

I have seen it a few times. The filter needs a regen as determined by its pressure sensors, but the computer doesn't think now is the time, so it bungs up this message. A bit of motorway or other uniform driving over a distance will allow a regen. Just a short quick run won't do.

Regular drives like this will stop the message reocurring.

A forced regen can be done if you have a Diagbox, but do it outdoors on a hard surface. The heat and exhaust and revving aren't nice.

How many km? you should check if there is enough additive in tank under car ,otherwise it will not be able to do a proper regen and will need to be refilled and primed even if the dealer has to do a forced regen.The additive is usually refilled at 120,000km interval.

There is no additive tank for this car. I have had it 10 years without any additive required unlike the T9 308 bluehdi I also have.

Sent from my SM-G950F using aussiefrogs mobile app

1000+ Posts

Particle filter equipped HDI cars earlier than Euro 6 urea, eg 2008 era, have an additive tank for a cerium-based compound under the floor, just in front of the left rear wheel. You can see the tubing from the wheel arch.

Computer controlled, it injects a tiny slosh into the fuel tank at refills. When empty the computer throws up a fault.

It's a catalyst, and ends up in the filter. Without it, you cannot regenerate the filter adequately.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    Particle filter equipped HDI cars earlier than Euro 6 urea, eg 2008 era, have an additive tank for a cerium-based compound under the floor, just in front of the left rear wheel. You can see the tubing from the wheel arch.

Computer controlled, it injects a tiny slosh into the fuel tank at refills. When empty the computer throws up a fault.

It's a catalyst, and ends up in the filter. Without it, you cannot regenerate the filter adequately.
    Thanks for the reply. Wow, I have not been made aware of this and have certainly let this slip. Is the additive tank accessible? What is the name of there compound and where can I get it?

1000+ Posts

You haven't had the additive tank empty message, so there may be some left.

If you get under, you can look at the connectors on the additive tank or pouch. The button colour tells whether to use Eolys or Infineum etc. After a refill, the computer needs to be reset with Diagbox.

The additive causes the combustion temperature to fully burn off the filter to be low enough for the engine to heat it.

Quote Originally Posted by seasink View Post
    You haven't had the additive tank empty message, so there may be some left.

If you get under, you can look at the connectors on the additive tank or pouch. The button colour tells whether to use Eolys or Infineum etc. After a refill, the computer needs to be reset with Diagbox.

The additive causes the combustion temperature to fully burn off the filter to be low enough for the engine to heat it.
    Thanks seasink

Where is it exactly located?

1000+ Posts

In front of the rear wheel, under the floor. Look for the tube fitting.

Tadpole

My son recently bought a 2008 207 touring hdi and our fault was different - "depollution error". Ours has a tank under the left side, but I came to the conclusion that without out the specific error message the tank was probably ok.
    I took several longish runs, culminating in about 45 mins up the freeway at 100kph in fourth gear (5 speed manual). Stopped for a coffee and a checker, pulled out of the road stop and got the error again. Drove home 45 mins this time in 5th. Next day the error was gone without a reset and has not appeared since.
    That was my "high rev run", just for reference. But of course our message was different.

Thread Information