16 digit VIN number
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Default 16 digit VIN number

Hi everyone!
    This is my first post and there's something that's been puzzling me and can't get anyone to explain me. I'm from Argentina and i bought a 405 mi16 '91 S1 about a month ago.
    Looking at the car information i came across it's VIN number and to my surprise it is 16 digit long. I thought VIN numbers from 1980 on were 17 digit long, and i can't find anyhing in the net about a case like mine.
    Is anyone familiar with this kind of mutant VIN number? All of the car papers and documentation are in order, and i didn't have any problem with the insurance company who took the VIN as if there was nothing wrong with it, so i'm just curious and want to know why and who took the extra digit from my VIN's car!!!

Thank you so much in advance

Advertisement

Carlos

Hola Carlos,

Unfortunately, I can't help you with your question about the VIN number, but by coincidence, I own an S1 Mi16 (405s are not so common here as there), and will be coming to Argentina in July. I would be happy to help you out with anything you need (parts, etc) that I might be able to bring from here.

PM or reply if there's anything I can help you with. Your English seems excellent, but I can mostly read and write Spanish if you don't speak English and had a friend write your post.

James.
    Care factor = -273.15șC

Thread Information