• Register
  • Help
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ng850
  • 1 Post By GRAHAM WALLIS

Thread: 205GTi water leak

Fellow Frogger!

Default 205GTi water leak

Well after refuelling the 205 GTi (DFZ) I noticed a stream of coolant running down the forecourt.

I had only driven then 1+ km to the servo so drove back as the engine hadn't even registered any warmage and assuming the Baker hoses were still in good order.

Anyhoo looking under the car in the gathering gloom I thought it was the rear junction pipes that were the problem but it appears to be leaking from the bottom of the timing cover.

Advertisement

Can I assume the worst and that it is the pump that has gone west?

I don't know when and if the pump has been replaced and the engine has done 240K.

TIA

griffo

Yes, most likely but you'll need to pull stuff off to confirm. I have a brand new pump I was going to sell cheap should you need it.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Peter, I'll probably take you up on that.

Frustratingly when I bought the car the owner was needing to get an oil seal replaced due to a leak so I asked him to change the belt (at my expense) whilst his mechanic was at it and later I thought I should have got the pump changed at the same time.

Lessons learned.

The top end has got pretty rattly over time so I was going to have a good look at the cam/clearances and I suspect maybe the oil rail sprayers might have gone wonky as well. Time for some GTi lovin'.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
    Yes, most likely but you'll need to pull stuff off to confirm. I have a brand new pump I was going to sell cheap should you need it.
    CEyssens likes this.

VIP Sponsor

Not a hard job may as well change the belt and check the tensioner while you are in there.
    Quote Originally Posted by ng850 View Post
    Thanks Peter, I'll probably take you up on that.

Frustratingly when I bought the car the owner was needing to get an oil seal replaced due to a leak so I asked him to change the belt (at my expense) whilst his mechanic was at it and later I thought I should have got the pump changed at the same time.

Lessons learned.

The top end has got pretty rattly over time so I was going to have a good look at the cam/clearances and I suspect maybe the oil rail sprayers might have gone wonky as well. Time for some GTi lovin'.

Cheers
    CEyssens likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Thanks Graham... not hard... provided the mounting bolts haven't corroded in =:-0.

Belt and tensioner were replaced less than 10K ago but will check anyway.

Time to have a good look in this area and the cam aspects.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by GRAHAM WALLIS View Post
    Not a hard job may as well change the belt and check the tensioner while you are in there.

Thread Information