207 touring HDi
  • Register
  • Help

Thread: 207 touring HDi

Tadpole

Default 207 touring HDi

My son just got a 2008 207 touring with the td motor.
    He is not a car guy at all, so I am here instead.
    We paid below the odds for it and it looks nice but has a few battle scars when you look close. It is his first car, so that is not a problem.
    I can't believe how nice this thing is, both to drive and to be in.
    It had a couple of issues, but thanks to this site and the pommy one as well, I have tracked them down mostly.
    The intercooler pipe was loose, but we have that sorted, however I think that has caused the dpf to fault.
    I have had it out for a couple of long drives to see if it will regen, but it still throws the "depollution system fault".
    Might have to take it for a forced regen.

I will have a few questions along the way, but much of them have already been answered by this site.
    I am seriously looking at finding one of these for myself.
    Assuming we can sort this, which I am confident we can.
    So anyway,
    Hi from Dave, new (proxy) Pug owner.

Advertisement

1000+ Posts

Welcome to AF.

The 1.6L diesel? The most important maintenance for this engine is the oil change! Don't neglect it, and always use a C2 very low ash oil, such as Total, and a long life awaits. Otherwise you risk ash deposits in the engine and a ruined turbocharger. There is no shortage of advice elsewhere in the forum.

For the depollution business I suggest you find someone, AF or mechanic, with the factory software, and get a full diagnosis. There are too many possibilities. If indeed the particle filter needs a regen it can be done (spectacularly) by computer, outside and not on grass!

Tadpole

Thanks for the advice.
    We have just purchased it, and although we were told it was recently serviced, we will get it done this week.
    I wanted to make sure of the oil type first.
    I have a bluetooth obd2 dongle and generic software, and some knowledge of how to use it.
    Indeed, it was partly that which revealed the loose intercooler pipe - From it I figured out what to look for.
    I have addressed each of the faults in turn and have only one left, which I think is pointing to the dpf.
    Anyhow, I appreciate your advice and will keep trolling around here here for answers.
    Seems like a good resource this place.
    Thanks to all who have posted stuff that has and will help me out.

1000+ Posts

PSA recommends Total Quartz Ineo ECS 0w-30, which isn't easily found at retail outlets in NSW, thanks to agreements with dealers, though it sometimes shows up

If you want a bulk package (eg 3x5L in a carton) of Total try an interstate distributer, eg Onshore in Qld.

Penrite also has C2 grade, which can be found in most auto spares places. Magnatec C2 Professional is available in bulk if you know a mechanic well enough.

The filter only regenerates when on a sustained fast run, every few hundred km. The easy way is a motorway drive every so often. That way the heat and aparks out the back endanger nobody. Unfortunately there is no idiot light or message to say when it is happening.

Tadpole

Hmmm - I am in Western Australia, and I am partial to Penrite with a good autoshop nearby.
    I will check for the C2 grade.
    Not noticed the sparks, but we also had been babyong due to the turbo pressure leak. I will take her for a good solid freeway run tomorrow I think.
    Thanks.

Just be aware too that if you can't find C2 oil, C3 oil has the same rating as far as your DPF goes. The only different between C2 and C3 oil is a very small percentage potential in fuel savings.

We've always used a 5W-30 grade oil - I believe that a 0W-30 grade oil will be too light for that engine.

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

1000+ Posts

Penrite C2 is everywhere, in 2 flavours. The cars came from the factory with 0W-30 in them, with a recommendation to use 5W-30 at servicing. Lately I''ve been told by dealers that the regular service grade has been revised downward. It is also recommended to use the same oil type and grade in the 1.6 turbo petrol engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Skellibert View Post
    Hmmm - I am in Western Australia, and I am partial to Penrite with a good autoshop nearby.
    I will check for the C2 grade.
    The benefit of you being in WA is access to Golden West Lubricants, which sells Total INEO ECS 5W30 very cheaply.
    Regards,

Simon

2014 208 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    The benefit of you being in WA is access to Golden West Lubricants, which sells Total INEO ECS 5W30 very cheaply.
    I have used penrite for years my old cruiser and pretty much everything else. Is the "Total Ineo" that much better?
    Not dissing you at all - genuine question. I will look them up.

And I notice you have a bit of a GTi problem there....

I gotta come clean here folks - I am a bit of a FIAT guy, but always had respect for the froggy cars.
    And in general I am a car tragic - if it is not mainstream I sorta want it.
    Several Fiat's, right now a US Chysler neon (not sure what is wrong with it really, but not sure I want to spend any money on it.) Had a Niva..... loved it.
    Now discovering the Joys of the Pug.

lol - I've owned 5 X 124 coupes......last one was an AC with 1756, twin dcoe's, early diff, late gearbox, late seats, extractors, high comp pistons, big Waggot cams, 6.5in rims, Koni's, lowered springs........I love my Fiats as well !

Cheers

Justin
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '09 308 XSE Touring
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

Quote Originally Posted by Skellibert View Post
    I have used penrite for years my old cruiser and pretty much everything else. Is the "Total Ineo" that much better?
    Not dissing you at all - genuine question. I will look them up.
    I'd be happy to use Penrite Enviro+ oil in 5W30 - but from what I've read on here, the correct Total oil is $15-$20 cheaper (for 5L) than the Penrite oil if you buy it from Goldenwest. I think they are in Maddington.

Last I read you could buy 3x5L for $123.00, for example, which seems like a much better deal than we get in the eastern states, where dealers can attempt to charge you $120 or more for one 5L bottle.
    Last edited by SLC206; 10th June 2018 at 04:10 PM.
    Regards,

Simon

2014 208 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Tadpole

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    I'd be happy to use Penrite Enviro+ oil in 5W30 - but from what I've read on here, the correct Total oil is $15-$20 cheaper (for 5L) than the Penrite oil if you buy it from Goldenwest. I think they are in Maddington.

Last I read you could buy 3x5L for $123.00, for example, which seems like a much better deal than we get in the eastern states, where dealers can attempt to charge you $120 or more.
    Ok then - I will definitely look them up. Maddington is not too far, and I am cheap enough to want to save some shekels if we can.
    This has been excellent thanks guys.

1000+ Posts

Someone here once reported getting Total from Golden West into NSW by courier still at a very competitive price. A carton of 3 bottles would make the trip worthwhile.

Tadpole

Update: I took the little pug for a good long run down the freeway - about an hour at 100kph in fourth - not stressing the little thing out but buzzing along nicely. Stopped at a servo for five minutes, had a little look around and everything seemed fine. Took off and almost immediately had the "depollution system faulty" message come up and revs restricted to 3000rpm.
    Pulled over, stopped, key off and back on, restarted and although the fault was still showing the car was perfect all the way home.
    Took the car out again today, this time a traffic workout. No fault lights at all, no engine light. I haven't hooked up to check the fault codes yet.
    But today it has been faultless. Maybe the run the other day was enough to burn out the DPF, and hopefully that is the last we will see of that.
    Time will tell, and I will be keeping a check on it.

Thread Information