P504 1972 sedan front spring and shock recommendations
  • Register
  • Help

Default P504 1972 sedan front spring and shock recommendations

Hi all

Advertisement

I need to replace the ball joints on my 504. The front struts have not been touched for over 10 years and I would like to replace the springs, shocks, rebound rubbers, top pads and dust boots will the struts are out getting new ball joints.

Currently there are KYB inserts in the struts and the springs are King.

I've had a quick google and had no luck finding a replacement King spring - so I've emailed Kings to see if they still make them.

What other choices do I have for springs?

What about shock inserts? What are my choices for a 1972 504?

MCA's may be over the top for a daily driver.

Thanks

Quick update - Kings no longer produce a front spring for the 504, however they will custom make at $330 a pair, so that is good news.

I just need to provide the old spring as a sample and complete a form providing a stack of measurements.

Couldn't you just use the original springs - re-set or whatever if required?

Why do you want to replace the springs ? Are they getting a bit low ?

Due to the usual rear sagging, I replaced my old 504's rear springs with King springs and regretted it.....they were very hard.

I'd recommend getting a couple of 505 front springs and altering them if necessary. The front ones seem to never sag.

As for inserts, Lewin should be able to recommend the best for your needs and preference. Many people say that LIP brand are good, but I think that if I bought another pair I would get the non-gas LIP ones. I love that floaty feeling that soft suspension gives in a 504. Pity you can't rebuild the struts to original specs, but the guts have already been taken out, it seems.

The front has dropped a little so I would like to increase the height by 25mm.

Just googling coil spring resetting and there are not too many happy customers out there with a lot saying the spring returned to the same sagged height after a certain period of time.

As for inserts, yes Lewin is my next phone call.

I see I can still get Monroe gas, KYB and Sachs....but not sure on these brands

Ideally I would like Koni, but no longer available.

With the original shock absorbers, there was a a lot of vertical travel because they were so soft, but with inserts there is a lot less.
    So you could perhaps ignore the sag ?

What you need to do is determine your preference and find a brand that suits. And as I mentioned, once you have driven a 504 with the original struts working as they should, all inserts are disappointingly hard. At least that was my own experience.

My King springs in the rear would have been great for rallying, but I just wanted a nice soft suspension in a street car. The rear end was sagging and I bad a quick choice.

And the LIP brand inserts in the front of my 505 are gas ones (non-gas are available) and disappointingly hard....or at least very ordinary. I wish I had re-built the originals.

Thread Information