Peugeot 306 shock absorbers - recommendations?
  • Register
  • Help

Default Peugeot 306 shock absorbers - recommendations?

Hello All, bear with me here...

I'm looking to give the 306 XSi a treat and fit some new shocks. Currently I have some Bilstein B8s on the back and the front has stock XSi dampers/springs - with about 120k km on them. So a mismatch. It did have B8s on the front but they're tired and have differing damping rates and a bit of a lean when fitted. While I believe Bilsteins can be rebuilt, I don't think this is viable on these - risks of buying s/h shocks I suppose!

The Bilstein B8s were a bit firm for my taste, so I'm looking for something better than what I have but not quite as firm as the B8s.

The car is a daily driver (with family too sometimes) so needs to have some compliance. I do like the odd fang though so want to optimise it's cornering abilities :-)

I did score some Eibach front springs (-30mm) with the B8s which I'd like to fit with the new shocks and fit a rear beam I've lowered by 30mm.

So, I've seen Bilstein B4s, Koni Sport Yellows, Koni STR.Ts, Sachs, KYB, Monroe gas all in the $400-860 range. I don't really want to go any higher...

Does anyone have any experience with any of these? Anything missing that I should consider? Gaz/Spax? The Konis appeal.

Thoughts?

Cheers,

Chris

Advertisement

VIP Sponsor

Don't buy B4s.

Buy B4's

VIP Sponsor

B4s the worst shocks I've ever used except for Gabriel, they have nothing on the rebound when driving over things such as speed humps and wear out quickly, going soft and leaking. I would get some genuine Peugeot items, used ones would be fine as they pretty well last forever. I found even new B6s to be not quite equal to 20 year Peugeot ones. Other than that Record are fine if you don't mind a firm ride, would be much cheaper than $400 but don't know if they are available for 306 .

In Australia, for a Peugeot, I think you'll get the best support, advice and service from Spax. ie Suspension Concepts.

'92 205 Mi16
    '90 Mi16x4

Fellow Frogger!

Personally, I'd stick with the stock dampers. I've had koni yellows in the past and wasn't impressed paired with the eibach pro kit. Was harsh and no noticeable improvement in handling.
    Really, the standard pug setup is good.

Thread Information