Anyone here frequent Old pacific hwy? (syd)
  • Register
  • Help

Default Anyone here frequent Old pacific hwy? (syd)

Hi guys........just curious as to how many in here enjoy that stretch of road up north?

Advertisement

do you guys ever meet to go up there at night?

Icon10

Everytime I travel to Sydney to see my better half (once a week, for the weekend), freeway gets boring after a while and need to have something to wake up........ Nice twisties for a while between gosford area and berowra.

At night, sure once I finish work at 10:30pm I drive down to syd on fridays...........

But somehow I doubt thats what you meant............

Jono
    1989 BX16Valve

"Resting" 1983 505 STi

I live about 30mins south of Cowan - the southern start of the 'Old Road', so I'm pretty much a regular, and would have to say I know most corners 'off by heart'. North of Sydney it's the place to head to for a quick blast. It's officially the 'tourist' route heading north - parallel to the F3 Freeway, and so limited to 70km/h, but since there are quite a few 45km/h corners, even if you choose to stick to the speed limit it's a good drive/ride.

Avoid it on the weekends though if you intend to get 'spirited'. The Feds regularly have 'blitzes' up there and have a regular patrol on a Sunday when the biker cafe at Mount White gets really busy - like 50-100 bikes busy. The Feds have 'random breath test' blitzes - another reason to also have the EPA people along, so that when they 'legally' pull you over for RBT reasons, they can then direct you to the EPA guys for 'suspicious mods' testing, such as dipping your tank for lead in a bike marked 'unleaded only' (bikes don't have pump nozzle restrictors in the filler) and checking for compliance stamps on aftermarket exhausts.

Another favourite trick is to have one patrol car at one end, and a second at the other end. The patrol at the start records the order in which you go through in, and if the order is different at the other end they pull you over and book you for crossing unbroken lines, as the whole stretch is single lane with no overtaking - no unbroken lines. I know someone who was pulled over with this trick, and when he complained that the car he was following had pulled over to let him past, the officer then pulled the car over and questioned the driver. Naturally he got off - it's just the attitude....

I've been pulled over a few times - once I was told that 'they didn't mind us having a go in the corners - but take it easy on the straights'. I copped a ticket, but didn't let on that I was actually already slowing down from the previous corner when I was pinged - he wouldn't have liked what I was doing through the previous corner !

Don't let me put you off - the road service is a little bumpy in spots, but any Peugeot handles it with aplomb. There are some quite challenging technical corners - you can really get the rear end of a FWD Pug moving around nicely and steer it on the throttle. There are next to nil trucks, but also nil streetlights, so night time runs tend to be way more sedate. Surprisingly wildlife has never been an issue considering most of it is through bush.

Cheers
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring
    '12 Megane RS265 8:08

wow thanks for that..........i had no idea of the tricks they used........and you seem to know it blardy well.......

good to hear someone on here enjoy that road aswell...........

i normally go at night around after 11pm if im not working the next day..........even later.

Yes I know that road reasonably well, I have had a 'spirited' drive there a few times.

Just last year in September I was involved in the East Cost Targa (The only Closed road all tarmac rally in NSW). They closed off a section of that road, starting from the end of the mooney mooney bridge and travelling south to Cowan, past the "pie in the sky' restaraunt. Some of the speeds we did were awsome. Tony Quinn got his 996Turbo well over 250km/h on some straight bits of that road, Alf Bargwana in his Torana got it on two wheels around some bends

Although my humble classic '73 RS did about 220km/h on the longest straights and got some sideways action on the corner out the front of Pie In The Sky at about 135km/h and the crowd went wild! ehhehehe

This year we are doing the same road, but my co-driver (dad) is telling me that this year it's his turn to drive that stage hehehe we'll see.
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

I went for a drive up there the Sunday afternoon before the Anzac day long weekend. I didn't see a single cop car or bike. I had a blast, even sticking pretty close to the speed limit. I was following a friend in his '79 Corolla with standard suspension. The amount of body roll was hillarious A friend of mine often rides his bike up there so I do know there can be cops all over the place.
    I've been meaning to go for another drive up there sometime soon.
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup
    1989 205 Gti - Sold

"This year, I invested in pumpkins. They've been going up the whole month of October and I got a feeling they're going to peak right around January. Then, bang! That's when I'll cash in." - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by n b j
    Yes I know that road reasonably well, I have had a 'spirited' drive there a few times.

Just last year in September I was involved in the East Cost Targa (The only Closed road all tarmac rally in NSW). They closed off a section of that road, starting from the end of the mooney mooney bridge and travelling south to Cowan, past the "pie in the sky' restaraunt. Some of the speeds we did were awsome. Tony Quinn got his 996Turbo well over 250km/h on some straight bits of that road, Alf Bargwana in his Torana got it on two wheels around some bends

Although my humble classic '73 RS did about 220km/h on the longest straights and got some sideways action on the corner out the front of Pie In The Sky at about 135km/h and the crowd went wild! ehhehehe

This year we are doing the same road, but my co-driver (dad) is telling me that this year it's his turn to drive that stage hehehe we'll see.

tell me more about this rally........i'd want to participate just for that legal run and get timed...........hehhehe

Quote Originally Posted by MKI4EVA
    tell me more about this rally........i'd want to participate just for that legal run and get timed...........hehhehe
    Well it's not "just that legal run". It's a 4 day rally which is very similar to the Targa Tassie (just in it's early stages). Any cars are eligible for entry provided you have the right saftey equipment, pass scruitineering, etc.

The driver and co-driver are required to have a Level2+ CAMS lisence.

There are about anything from 6-10 or more "special stages" each day, where the event is based on times. There are no "observation" or naviagtion bullshit things, it's just straight rallying based on times and pacenotes. We also do timed laps at Eastern Creek, Oran Park, Mt. Panorama and this year Wakefield as well which are also cramed into the 4 days. In addition we do motorkanas at some towns and a few laps at the figure8 skid pan at EC. So it is a very full 4 days of racing.

The event starts nth of sydney and goes out west to Eastern Creek, then we do timed runs all up through the mountains and then are based in Bathurst for the rest of the event.

Some of the roads and stages we get to drive once we get west of the mountains are just magical! The roads truley are superb and to have the freedmon to drive the car on the limit on these roads is just great Not to mention racing around Mt Panorama

The cost is around $3,500-$4,000 for the event, which includes meals, insurance, road books, and various forms of towing/recovery should you need it, as well as the presentation dinner etc. at the end of the event.

The supregs of the event also require the entrants to have prior experience in motorsport above a 'club level', however, This isn't the case with 50% of the entrants, most of them have only ever had limited experience on race tracks and rallies. Being a member of a car club and having a Cams level2 lisence is really all that is required to enter. The "prelude" of the event will determine your skill level and Cams observe that and I have not known any1 barred from the event as a result of their performance in the prelude.

It's a great experience
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

It's been a while... and the enthusiasm with which they painted double unbroken lines for the whole length is really offputting.

There are many better roads, less traffic, fewer cops, but maybe not as good a surface. Wiseman's Ferry to Mangrove Mountain for instance, or the Wyong Creek Road.

Well it's not "just that legal run". It's a 4 day rally which is very similar to the Targa Tassie (just in it's early stages). Any cars are eligible for entry provided you have the right saftey equipment, pass scruitineering, etc.

There are about anything from 6-10 or more "special stages" each day, where the event is based on times. There are no "observation" or naviagtion bullshit things, it's just straight rallying based on times and pacenotes. We also do timed laps at Eastern Creek, Oran Park, Mt. Panorama and this year Wakefield as well which are also cramed into the 4 days. In addition we do motorkanas at some towns and a few laps at the figure8 skid pan at EC. So it is a very full 4 days of racing.

The event starts nth of sydney and goes out west to Eastern Creek, then we do timed runs all up through the mountains and then are based in Bathurst for the rest of the event.

Some of the roads and stages we get to drive once we get west of the mountains are just magical! The roads truley are superb and to have the freedmon to drive the car on the limit on these roads is just great Not to mention racing around Mt Panorama

The cost is around $3,500-$4,000 for the event, which includes meals, insurance, road books, and various forms of towing/recovery should you need it, as well as the presentation dinner etc. at the end of the event.

The supregs of the event also require the entrants to have prior experience in motorsport above a 'club level', however, This isn't the case with 50% of the entrants, most of them have only ever had limited experience on race tracks and rallies. Being a member of a car club and having a Cams level2 lisence is really all that is required to enter. The "prelude" of the event will determine your skill level and Cams observe that and I have not known any1 barred from the event as a result of their performance in the prelude.

It's a great experience

thanks for that........sounds awesome..........but sounds abit out of my league at the moement......
    god 4 days of racing would be abit much for me.........i dun think im at the level of commitment for racing as yet.

cheers again for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by MKI4EVA
    thanks for that........sounds awesome..........but sounds abit out of my league at the moement......
    god 4 days of racing would be abit much for me.........i dun think im at the level of commitment for racing as yet.

cheers again for the info.
    Just do a few track days when you feel you wan to give it a go. Become a member of a car club and attend some, there are always first timers at club track days, always a good place to get the hang of things.

Even do the Ian Luff advance driving courses, I have done a few, they're loads of fun and anybody can do them in any car!
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

It's a great experience
    Jeez - how do you get into training for all that? You must be driving non-stop for 4 days to cover all that ground. How long has this event been running for? Sound like a great one to go and spectate. What time of the year is it on?
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

Quote Originally Posted by N5GTi6
    Jeez - how do you get into training for all that? You must be driving non-stop for 4 days to cover all that ground. How long has this event been running for? Sound like a great one to go and spectate. What time of the year is it on?
    Found it. Have a look at :

http://www.eastcoasttarga.com.au/
    '07 C3 Exclusive
    '10 308 Sportium Touring

VIP Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by N5GTi6
    Found it. Have a look at :

http://www.eastcoasttarga.com.au/

Just checked the Supp Regs, as I thought you need to have a National Rally Licence to enter the competitive side of the event. This requires you to attend a course (can do this on line) and an observed driving test.

Graham Wallis

Thread Information