504 blower dilemma
  • Register
  • Help
    Tadpole

Icon4 504 blower dilemma

Hi guys, I own an original 72' 504 ti, but for a certian young, ignorant, arrogant, engine head like myself, it doesnt get to 60mph fast enough for my liking... I've heard about people dropping (rather painstakingly) 13b' rotarys into them. But i hear that its VERY costly and time consuming. So in want of a more gutsier 504, ive overheard of the Rover 3500 v8's managing to fit in the engine bay quite nicely, but yet again its still too expensive for a student like me. Turbo's seem more likely as a quick fix solution and ive heard that the 2.0l engines from these 504's are very capable of sustaining a small turbo.

Advertisement

What im asking is: is it worth it? Or would a supercharger be more to the liking? Or to scrap the whole idea and keep the wonderful little machine the same wonderful little machine it really is?

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

how quick do you want to get to 60mp/h ?

pugs as a rule are not traffic light grand prix cars but a point to point in the most enjoyable fashion you can imagine

a 72 TI shouldn't be sluggish off the mark but remember you are trying to move a 1200kg mass with 117hp
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

A Rover V8 would be cheaper than turboing the pug motor, assuming you want done properly (as a full rebuild will be needed for turboing with low comp pistons etc) as Rover V8s in good nick can be picked up cheap.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Budding Architect ???? pugrambo's Avatar

bieng a 72 TI i'd be inclined to keep it in one piece and if you are wanting to do something different then grab a later body (75/76)

72 model would be eligible for club plates well and truly now and as there weren't that many TI's to start with compared to normal 504's i'd keep this car original

also the earlier TI's went better than the later ones so give it a good tune and keep whole

plenty of 504's around that are cheap that you can pick up and play with
    3 x '78 604 SL

1 x 2018 3008

1 x 2000 Citroen XM,

1 x '98 306 GTi6 sadly sold

1 x secret project

1 x '98 406 STDT troop carrier and i don't care if it stinks, i don't sniff it's arse Death by wank tank

1 x '99 406SV 5spd wagon, time to burn more fuel

1 x 1994 605 SV3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Haakon
    A Rover V8 would be cheaper than turboing the pug motor, assuming you want done properly (as a full rebuild will be needed for turboing with low comp pistons etc) as Rover V8s in good nick can be picked up cheap.
    Or even a Leyland P76 alloy V8. It's been done before

V8 504

Troy.

Quote Originally Posted by pugrambo
    bieng a 72 TI i'd be inclined to keep it in one piece and if you are wanting to do something different then grab a later body (75/76)

72 model would be eligible for club plates well and truly now and as there weren't that many TI's to start with compared to normal 504's i'd keep this car original

also the earlier TI's went better than the later ones so give it a good tune and keep whole

plenty of 504's around that are cheap that you can pick up and play with
    Good call - no need to muck up the rare ones. I also probably think that if someone wants a car to play traffic light drags with, a 504 is probably not the best choice to start with Go and buy a cheap RX3 or something.
    I tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol, but the bastards learnt how to swim

Leave it standard... the only modification I'd say was really worthwhile would be to stick a BA7/5 in it... along with the later model 504 gearchange.

Tadpole

Icon1 Cheers

Yeah, i can see your point. My old man would be a little disapointed to see a classic turned into something around the lines of a rice box...

Thanks for your input. Much apreciated.

I agree with pug rambo about not ruining the car.

But i drive a really hot 404 with a 504 engine in it.
    and they do well for a cheap hoon car. im not sayin you should get a 404 but you should do cheap things to the motor like air filters and cheap crap like that. (but thats if your deperate for speed) or the other altunative is just to strap the tits of your car every once and a while. but probably shouldn't.
    I'm probably the youngest guy in canberra(15 yr) to own a 404, it's proably one of the fastest too!

Thread Information