• Register
  • Help
Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Simon
  • 1 Post By GreenBlood

Thread: Accuracy of distance to empty reading

1000+ Posts

Default Accuracy of distance to empty reading

So the 206 stalled a couple of times today and only had 67km to empty on the readout. That's about the lowest I've ever left it but it's usually at ~65 when I refill, when the yellow light shows.

I thought about it being things like coils etc. then considered it could be just fuel level. When started again at the end of the day after work, it was a little reluctant but with only 100m to the servo I filled it and it now seems fine.

Has anyone had fuel issues with ~65km left on the display? I know it's not going to be dead on, but am wondering if there's something about to go kaput.

Cheers

Stu

Advertisement

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

I have a non-start (but does eventually) issue with my 406 when it reaches below 1/4 full.
    Demannu thinks it may be a non return valve getting old. Not sure exactly where it is...possibly right downstream from the fuel sensor/pump in the tank.

I can't see why you shouldn't just keep it with a bit in the tank and motor on for years like this.

Depending on the design, the in-tank pumps can rely on the fuel flow to keep the pump cool. Running low on fuel can lead to the pump seizing up and wearing prematurely.
    UFO, Tom_95 and Doush_504 like this.
    1963 Renault R4 Van
    1964 Renault R4
    1967 Volkswagen 1300 Deluxe
    1969 Renault 8 Gordini 1300
    2005 Renaultsport Clio 182 Cup

1000+ Posts

It was parked on a slope too, so I wonder if it just sucked some air.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

UFO

FWIW - remember the original design of French cars has relied on the low side of the tank being the right side to align with the camber of roads in right side driving countries. Therefore when driving on the left of the road the low side of the tank is on the right and high in relation to remaining fuel in the tank.

We always fill both our moderns as soon as possible after the low fuel signal starts going off. I think the C5 went to its lowest ever level last week at 105 km. eek! The fuel stations in our small town both have a premium of around 10c/l over some of the stations I drive past in Wollongong each day to and from work. Therefore on low fuel in the C5 days I take the C5 and leave Mrs UFO with her C4 for the day.
    Craig K
    2009 C5 HDi Exclusive

My 406 once was showing 0 kms to go but the needle still showed some movement so I carefully drove 10km to the servo. The 70 litre tank took 70.4 litres!
    Stephen
    '03 P406 HDI
    '16 Renault Master

1000+ Posts

In both my Pugs (a 605 and a 406 - both V6s) I happily drive until the distance remaining is blacked out (happens at about 30km I think), and don't have any problems. Xantia (16v) only has an orange light, but I can comfortably travel up to 50 km after it comes on without noticing any problem. Given the relatively large distance between petrol stations out here, and their tendency to close when the sun sets, it is valuable to know what I can safely get away with.

Only once had a problem starting the 605, and that was when the car was parked for the night in an underground carpark in Sydney. Only available spot had a considerable slope, and muggins (me) parked with the pump on the uphill side. Didn't give it a thought, as tank was not particularly low (by my standards). Fortunately I correctly guessed the problem before flattening the battery, but it was a long walk to the nearest servo and back!

However, reading Simon's comment, I have a had a pump fail in the 605. Given that the car was over 20 years old I wasn't too surprised, but it had only done c. 160,000 km, so perhaps I did shorten it's life.

Cheers

Alec

Fellow Frogger!

Quote Originally Posted by sfrawley View Post
    My 406 once was showing 0 kms to go but the needle still showed some movement so I carefully drove 10km to the servo. The 70 litre tank took 70.4 litres!
    There should be a little over 75l in the 406 HDI fuel tank, biggest fill I've managed was 77l but not recommended as you don't want to run empty and get air in the fuel loop.
    406 HDi

I think that manufacturers these days put "retrievable" capacity as opposed to physical capacity, somewhat vindicated by putting 77 into a 75 tank, above.

Classic case was the HQ Holden, whose doco said that the tank was 14 gallons. Trouble is, as was reported in the press, no-one could ever put more than 12 gallons in. Holden stated that the shape of the tank made the last 2 gallons irretrievable, and had to change their published specs.

Is it just me, or does the car always feel like it goes better with a full tank?

1000+ Posts

Thanks all. Yeah, I've run it down to this level a few times and it's been fine, but I know now I can't leave it to get any lower. In this case, the yellow light hadn't come on, but it usually does at around 65-75km to go.

Not the best though; you could get well stuck relying on the readout!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Is it just me, or does the car always feel like it goes better with a full tank?
    Being one of older generation who still carry cash.

I haven't noticed improved performance.

But I have noticed my wallet is lighter. After completely filling the tank
    Mutual Respect is Contagious

Holden commodores of mid 2000's vintage had a recall/campaign to replace the dash because owners kept running out when it showed around 80kms left on the readout. I know as I had a company car at the time and ran out twice - once on the hume hwy a km or two short of the Yass services in the middle of summer - that was a long hot walk!

Many months later the work fleet manager sent a copy of the letter he had received (much earlier) advising of the campaign and to return the car for repair!! it happened in between the relevant service intervals so I guess I was just unlucky.
    KB

It might be the way I have the car set-up but on the C5 X7 it shows the distance possible with available fuel. Depending how the car is being driven i.e. mooching around the suburbs or a good highway run that distance will vary - I've had situations where the available distance at the beginning of a journey has improved at the destination. A quick check of the fuel gauge gives better indication as to when to top up.

Cheers
    Chris
    UFO likes this.
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

Fellow Frogger!

My first experience of low bias against RHD parking with low fuel was in the Big 6 H. They sank at the rear within minutes of stopping & if the fuel in the float chamber had evaporated you were in real trouble when wanting to move away. As well, If one applied the handbrake firmly, by design, as the rear sank it tightened the cables even further, & it could be a hassle to release.
    My next similar experience was in my DS21 BVD EFI when parked with less than 10 ltrs in the tank. Being injected , there was no float chamber reserve of fuel, so the only way out was to top up. If while driving the car started to splutter & the realisation registered that one had forgotten to refuel, some extra distance could be eked out by swerving from side to side to encourage fuel to splash over into the baffled section in the tank on the right side. Rather alarming for anyone following behind !
    Ah the fun of French / Citroën motoring ! That love / hate relationship.

Cheers,

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Dijon16 View Post

I have this same feeling... maybe cooler fuel arriving at the engine?

COL

On the Renault Lagunas that I have owned the distance to empty calculated by the trip computer seems to be about right, the light and voice warning comes on with approximately 60 Km left in the tank.
    Regards Col

1973 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1976 Renault R12 Station Wagon
    1995 Renault Laguna V6
    2002 Renault Laguna V6
    1973 Alpine A110

http://alpine-a110.weebly.com/

1000+ Posts

Chris, that's the setting I'm referring to. It improves, say, on the freeway at constant speed.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    Chris, that's the setting I'm referring to. It improves, say, on the freeway at constant speed.
    Yes, so it averages your consumption over a previous distance given your use of throttle/stop start/terrain etc.. Moving from suburban driving (heavy fuel use) to highway I've seen another 60ks possible after traveling around 10k at even throttle. Useful for long distance journeys but maybe not so reliable around town.

Cheers
    Chris
    74 D(very Special) >>Rejuvenation Thread<<
    08 C5 X7 HDi very Noir

"Déesse" Roland Barthes, 'Mythologies', 1957

The Déesse has all the characteristics of one of those objects fallen from another universe that fed the mania for novelty in the eighteenth century and a similar mania expressed by modern science fiction: the Déesse is first and foremost the new Nautilus.

(Umberto Eco [Ed], The History of Beauty, Rizzoli, NY, 2004)

1000+ Posts

Yeah, I noted in the Mondeo on say a 300km country trip, the distance to empty increases for almost a third of the way there, after months of city driving!

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Thread Information