Pug 404 exhaust resonator
  • Register
  • Help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GRAHAM WALLIS

Thread: Pug 404 exhaust resonator

Fellow Frogger!

Default Pug 404 exhaust resonator

I have never heard what a 404 sounded like brand new, my model does not have the resonator at the exhaust manifold. Has anyone fitted theirs with the newer 404 exhaust manifold that has a resonator. Any difference in noise and power?

Advertisement

If you can, find the 4 into 2 manifold and the 2 into 1 downpipe. It's a good free-flow system and in that case the resonator is in-line and easier to mount.
    1966 Peugeot 404 Coupé Injection post-restoration reassembly underway!
    2013 Ford Fiesta SE 1.6 manual
    2006 smart BRABUS Tailor-Made Canada 1 cabriolet
    2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200

VIP Sponsor

Over here it was the early and very late models that had the resonator. the middle models had the dual pipes. Does yours have a single pipe with no resonator then? If the resonator at the front has been removed it will adversely affect performance. I am leaving my original system intact for the time being, possibly fit the twin pipes later if I can find a down pipe, I have a manifold. The original resonator system has a unique sound, a bit like a Subaru.

Quote Originally Posted by peugeotnut View Post
    I have never heard what a 404 sounded like brand new, my model does not have the resonator at the exhaust manifold. Has anyone fitted theirs with the newer 404 exhaust manifold that has a resonator. Any difference in noise and power?
    Dano likes this.

Fellow Frogger!

Mine(1968) is now the original 4=2=1 system, seems to be a little noisy. I do have a spare car(1974) for parts which is the 4=1 system where the exhaust manifold has the resonator. But if you guys advice that the 4=2=1 is a better setup than I shall not change anything.

One more thing about this 4=2=1 setup is that the pipes comes to close to the steering rubber coupling. doesn't make the rubber last long.

Thread Information