Hot hatch comparo- interesting read. - Page 2
  • Register
  • Help
Page 2 of 2 First 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Hot hatch comparo- interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by robmac View Post
    Any person who values the privilege of keeping their drivers licence ?
    Your eyes should always be outside the car looking for potential crashes, speed cameras and highway patrol cars. Not to mention ever changing speed signs, road works, school zones and other items that could interfere with your driving pleasure......

Advertisement
    BIGRR likes this.
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

There was a fantastic hot hatch review in the latest wheels magazine. The 308 GTi came third out of ten overall and was notably quicker around cars like the Golf R and WRX STI around the track. Strangely the Hyundai and the Type R were the only cars that were quicker which I did find interesting given the GTi has beaten the Hyundai in every other track test.

Its light weight (1200kg) gave it the highest power to weight ratio out of the 10 cars (which included the Type R and i30n).

Personally I think the interior is miles above most of the other offerings and you'd have to be a pretty strange shape not to be able to see the dials given all of the adjustability. The dials are much more obscured in the RCZ than the GTi.
    SLC206 and Brett like this.
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Citroen C4 VTS

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Fellow Frogger!

Don't forget that the 308 is objectively the best looking one, the nicest interior design and commendable lightweight construction. The latter should be applauded more as other manufacturer can still turn out a 1600 kill hatch. Ludicrous.
    SilverGTi_6 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lowpugV2 View Post
    On a different note - is anyone else concerned that a family hatch (golf R) can now do 0-100 in 4.5 seconds?
    When I had a megane sports, yes it was very concerning.
    I had to really concentrate to crack away from the traffic lights faster than most other hot hatches, but now that I drive a Koleos, those types of details are largely irrelevant.

jo
    Kim Luck and Simon_Tassie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    Your eyes should always be outside the car looking for potential crashes, speed cameras and highway patrol cars. Not to mention ever changing speed signs, road works, school zones and other items that could interfere with your driving pleasure......
    All very true, Ollie. However to maintain compliance with Victoria obsessive speed limits, one does have to observe the speedometer at regular intervals.

And car owners sensitive to their vehicle's engine operation, will also check oil pressure, temperature and other engine vital signs.

So IMO a " good driver" will find a happy balance.
    Departed the Aussie Frogs Community 14 September 2018.

The moderator/leader should not operate for the sole benefit of himself and his kind but for the benefit of the people at large and of the AF Fraternity and its patterns, as becomes what he perceives as fitting into place, into his sense of natural justice.
    with apologies to Judy Grahn

Having read the article (saw it posted on another forum of which I'm a member), even though they rate the Civic Type R first, I really couldn't live with the butt ugly ricer styling. The i30N and 308 GTI fared well in a recent Wheels hot hatch article...both agile with good power to weight. 308 GTI...offset steering and pedals...hmm...they should try my Alpine A110! At the end of the day, clearly the best car in my eyes is the Focus RS...it's the best track car and most fun to drive...and isn't that why you buy a hot hatch?
    It was sad to see how poorly the STI Spec R went...but it clearly hasn't kept up with the times. I owned WRX's and STI's exclusively from 1994 to 2012 as my road cars and 1 x '99 STI RA and 2 x '06 STI Spec C's as tarmac rally cars until last year...I loved them all...but I certainly wouldn't buy one as a road car these days.

Disclaimer: My current road car is a MK3 Focus RS and my previous one was a MK2 Focus RS. I loved the MK2 but the MK3 is a way better driver's car....and it's fine as a daily driver...even with my advanced years!
    lozenge likes this.
    1969 Alpine A110

Quote Originally Posted by SilverGTi_6 View Post
    Personally I think the interior is miles above most of the other offerings and you'd have to be a pretty strange shape not to be able to see the dials given all of the adjustability. The dials are much more obscured in the RCZ than the GTi.
    I'm a very average 178cm but do have the seat up a little higher than most males tend to. The steering wheel/dials thing was a complete non-issue when I first sat in the 208 GTi and four years later is still a non-issue.

There is so much adjustment available with seat height, steering height and reach that (for the vast majority, perhaps?) it's not a drama.

I've also driven a 308 GTi for quite a bit and I think perhaps "Paul" from the article didn't spend enough time to set his car up properly. There was certainly no obscured tacho when I drove the 308 GTi.

I also think the "reverse" tacho on the 308 would not be an issue for an owner five minutes after getting the car.

I've had a good run in a current Focus RS (and separately an ST) and, while I enjoyed driving both, the interior of the Focus is still an issue for me, despite improvements over the years. It's just not as polished (or even a bit plastic-y) as the 308 - which is perhaps a bit too simple with its touch screen control of everything.

The RS was also a bit too busy for my liking with all its information and driving modes. I'm sure I would enjoy owning one, all the same I didn't find the RS suspension too hard and the exhaust is way better than the 308 (which would not be difficult, as it's almost silent in comparison).

I can't warm to the Type R - I think it looks awful.
    SilverGTi_6, TroyO and SamR like this.
    Regards,

Simon

2018 308 GTi 2011 DS3 DSport
    ----
    2014 208 GTi 2007 207 GTi 2004 206 GTi180 2000 206 GTi 1995 306 XT

www.peugeotclub.asn.au

Fellow Frogger!

Yeah, the focus interior is a massive hurdle. They're pretty bad. Also the rear loadspace is a joke.

The 308 is by far my favourite modern interior (of an affordable car) I really like the minimal approach. From memory, the base model 308 Access had a good balance of real dials and screen interface. If they would mix that with the nice seats and wheel from the Allure it'd be great.

Quote Originally Posted by SLC206 View Post
    I'm a very average 178cm but do have the seat up a little higher than most males tend to. The steering wheel/dials thing was a complete non-issue when I first sat in the 208 GTi and four years later is still a non-issue.

There is so much adjustment available with seat height, steering height and reach that (for the vast majority, perhaps?) it's not a drama.
    I had never had problems with the 208 driving position/dash set up either, actually I thought it was fantastic, especially the smaller steering wheel. 2 years of driving a Focus and I still think the steering wheel is too big. Never had any problems with the dials being obscured either.

The Focus dash seems to be too big as well, it seems to consume so much interior space up front, and it's quite plasticy, worse without the Sony sound system. Good driving position though, and look, a proper glovebox.

308 interior is much nicer though, save for the marginal rear leg room. My only bugbear is that the climate control has to be controlled through the touch screen. No tactile controls means you always have to look at the screen the use it.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO View Post

308 interior is much nicer though, save for the marginal rear leg room. My only bugbear is that the climate control has to be controlled through the touch screen. No tactile controls means you always have to look at the screen the use it.
    What? No speech control?
    Don't it always seem to go that you don't know what you've got 'til it's gone............

That was my main worry about the 308 GTi also before purchase. Turns out we rarely (almost never) adjust the climate control anyway so turned out to be a bit of a non issue.

If I had to pick one thing that annoys me the most it is not having an actual manual hand brake! Otherwise it's a bloody brilliant car.
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Citroen C4 VTS

Previous
    Lotus Sport 111, RCZ, 205 GTi, Volvo C30 T5-R, Honda S2000, 206 GTi180, Lotus Elise 111R, 205 GTi 6, Manual 406 coupe, 306 GTi 6, 405 MI16 (twice!), 505 GR

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Luck View Post
    What? No speech control?
    Not sure if the Peugeot has voice control or not, however on the Focus, adjusting the temp via a knob is a lot quicker then trying to use Sync (if I could even remember the voice commands).

Quote Originally Posted by SilverGTi_6 View Post
    That was my main worry about the 308 GTi also before purchase. Turns out we rarely (almost never) adjust the climate control anyway so turned out to be a bit of a non issue.

If I had to pick one thing that annoys me the most it is not having an actual manual hand brake! Otherwise it's a bloody brilliant car.
    I tend the fiddle with the climate control regularly, especially in summer.

Not a fan of the electric hand brakes either.

Quote Originally Posted by TroyO View Post
    Not sure if the Peugeot has voice control or not, however on the Focus, adjusting the temp via a knob is a lot quicker then trying to use Sync (if I could even remember the voice commands).

I tend the fiddle with the climate control regularly, especially in summer.

Not a fan of the electric hand brakes either.
    I've never tried an electric handbrake turn on the basis I didn't want to invite disaster.........

Tried it. Doesn't work.
    Lotus Evora
    Peugeot 308 GTi
    1966 Volvo 122s
    Citroen C4 VTS

Previous

1000+ Posts

Me too Troy on the Mondeo. The voice control was cool for about two weeks, then is now only used for phoning, eg 'Phone Home', or 'Phone (Person)'. Or maximum demist, once a year! 'Climate demist'.

2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

Fellow Frogger!

Yes, any of them would be brilliant - IF someone else was paying for the maintenance.
    If not I'll stick to my aged collection of just-about-graspable (for me) technology.
    After I bought the MG which is the only "true" hot hatch I've ever owned / driven I did look back at some old archive road tests for other 'early noughties' vintage hot hatches. On paper performance there was almost nothing to pick between the Golf, Focus, 206, & ZR (& possible others I've forgotten). I'm sure the same is true now (albeit quicker 0-100 times), so I guess you just make up your mind on things other than raw performance, rather as the 'fun factor' component of the test in the link. One thing I'm in agreement with Simon on - it's not just Tassie whose roads are ruff, read whole of Aus pretty much, and the unyielding suspension means all the trim (interior & exterior) takes a beating - at 12 years later I'm regularly needing to stick bits back on (no jokes about Brit. build quality please )
    may all your plans be cunning ones,
    Baldrick,

fleet: 1989 Peugeot 505 GTi Wagon
    1969 Peugeot 404 Sedan
    2003 Smart 452 Roadster
    2005 MG ZR160
    1988 Mercedes 300E
    1953 Citroen 15CV (under Restoration)
    1953 Bristol 401 (under Restoration)
    That's one for each day of the week - I really should stop

Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information