Catalytic converters - using a 405 one for a 306
  • Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    260

    Default Catalytic converters - using a 405 one for a 306

    I need a new cat for my 306 XSi (XU10J4R 16v engine)

    I have found EAI are selling a NOS cat for a 405 2.0 XU10J2 engine - I believe an 8 valve engine. It's $99 - seems like a reasonable chance it'd work just fine.

    Is there any reason I couldn't cut and weld this into my 306?

    Advertisement



    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Ok, no immediate responses. Must be a dumb question.

    How about something like this Magnaflow weld in Cat with 2.25" in/outlets?

    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Magnaflo...8AAOSw14xWOYTs

  3. #3
    1000+ Posts Beano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    2,602

    Default

    This scenario must have been thought about before. Perhaps Mr Google could provide enlightenment ?

    Or a quick call to a muffler shop ?

  4. #4
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beano View Post
    This scenario must have been thought about before. Perhaps Mr Google could provide enlightenment ?

    Or a quick call to a muffler shop ?
    You'd think so, but rather than sifting through endless threads from the UK about "sik" 3" systems etc and nothing specific I thought I'd ask here - most responses here come from people with first hand experience.

    I did call my local exhaust shop. Quoted $550 for a universal fit cut and weld with no specific info on the cat used.

    I've spoken to my mechanics workshop and they are happy to organise welding in a new cat if I provide it. So I have taken a chance on the magnaflow fitting. The new old stock 405 cat may not be up to scratch after sitting on a shelf for a decade.

  5. #5
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    783

    Default

    For $99, I'd take the punt if you have someone who will do any welding mods cheaply. Easy enough to change flanges etc if you already have the welding gear.
    206 GTi 180 - Cat Cams, Remapped Group N ECU, AST Camber Tops & Coilovers, -2deg fixed camber hubs by Frogstomp Racing, 24mm Torsion Bars, AP Racing brakes, Yokohama A050, PeugeotSport Baffled Sump, Powerflex Engine Mounts & Bushings, Setrab Oil cooler, Quaife diff, Velo seats.

    Sandown - 1:31.5
    Winton - 1:45.6
    Phillip Island - 1:58.4
    Nürburgring - 10:23.ish (Fiesta ST)

    Previously, 2x 504 Wagon, 505 Wagon, 505 STi, 405.

  6. #6
    1000+ Posts
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    5,776

    Default

    I have a new Magnaflow on my 206 and it's excellent. One thing about the NOS one - it might be a ceramic substrate cat which can fracture, where the Magnaflow is metallic substrate.


    2003 PEUGEOT 206 GTi

  7. #7
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stuey View Post
    I have a new Magnaflow on my 206 and it's excellent. One thing about the NOS one - it might be a ceramic substrate cat which can fracture, where the Magnaflow is metallic substrate.
    Perfect, that's what I was hoping to hear. Hopefully I can have it fitted up next week and see if that and the new O2 sensor smooths out the engine a little.

  8. #8
    Fellow Frogger! blahblah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowpugV2 View Post
    Ok, no immediate responses. Must be a dumb question.

    How about something like this Magnaflow weld in Cat with 2.25" in/outlets?

    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Magnaflo...8AAOSw14xWOYTs
    I used something similar on my 306 XSi - $130 to have an exhaust guy weld it in. I covered it a thread called ‘My 306’ or similar with pics. Works a treat!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Fellow Frogger! blahblah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
    I used something similar on my 306 XSi - $130 to have an exhaust guy weld it in. I covered it a thread called ‘My 306’ or similar with pics. Works a treat!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Here’s a link - the pics may be of interest.

    My 306
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...9&share_type=t



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Oh yeah, that's exactly what I'll be doing. I am also fitting a new o2 sensor but I'm taking a gamble with a well rated eBay item. $41 vs $159 I was quoted for the Bosch. I'll probably end up buying the Bosch....

  11. #11
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    282

    Default

    I had a Bosch one fitted to my 205SI, was $110 including labour!

  12. #12
    Fellow Frogger!
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    260

    Default

    Right, well pays to shop around then. I had just spoken to a local exhaust shop. The part direct from Bosch cost $124. Will see how the eBay experience is...

  13. #13
    Fellow Frogger! blahblah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lowpugV2 View Post
    Oh yeah, that's exactly what I'll be doing. I am also fitting a new o2 sensor but I'm taking a gamble with a well rated eBay item. $41 vs $159 I was quoted for the Bosch. I'll probably end up buying the Bosch....
    Just seen this - I picked up a Bosch direct fit sensor (plugs straight in) for $100 delivered off eBay.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •