206 Computer Problem...
  • Register
  • Help
    Zen

Default 206 Computer Problem...

Hey guys,

I was driving home tonight in the 206 GTi 180 and all the sudden all my dials went dead and the fuel empty light (yellow dot at the bottom of the fuel gauge) and the STOP light started flashing at me. Also, all the air bag lights on the display were solid on and my brake light was solid on as well.

I pulled over to the side of the road and rang Peugeot's 24 hour phone number and he couldn't tell me what was wrong. I explained that I didn't notice any rise in oil temperature nor water temperature and that the STOP light was flashing, not solidly on. He told me usually if the STOP light was on all the time that the problem was with the engine so I don't think anything is wrong with the car mechanically.

I drove the 5 minutes home and it ran fine, albeit the dials didn't work and the lights on the display kept flashing. The stereo kept beeping as well in long intervals, the controls for the stereo on the column didn't work but the controls on the stereo did, so I turned it off.

Has anyone experienced anything like what I have described or does anyone know what is wrong or if it will be ok to drive to the dealership tomorrow (which is a 40-45 minute drive)?

Advertisement

Thanks for any comments.

Rich

codito ergo sum == code monkey

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

Zen

Forgot to mention, the display stays lit even without the key in the ignition so I took the fuse out for it so it doesn't run the battery flat. I'm guessing that won't do any harm.

Rich

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

geez mate thats no good.

Whether it's a computer problem or an electrical problem I am not sure... but...

My mates 206 5door XT (MY02) had a similar problem. His stereo bugged out and all his fault lights came on on the dashboard as well as a faulty fuel guage, as well as the central locking constantly going up and down and eventually frying the actuator! It was caused by some kind of short in the wiring and was fixed under warranty by pug in a day, including replacing the actuator.

Also my own 206's stereo used to have a mind of it's own. Often (maybe once a fortnight) when I was driving the volume would suddenly just turn it's self up and turn itself down randomly and was out of control, I had to turn the stereo off and on again to fix it. Peugeot didn't know why. It wasn't much of an issue.

So I have a feeeling it's not an uncommon thing, unless it's a problem with the ECU I don't see how it could be harmful in anyway to your car. If the guages aren't working just make sure you have enough fuel to get you to your dealership. I don't see it being an issue with the driving of the car.
    "Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?" - Murray Walker
    206XR 1.6ltr - SOLD
    BMW E36 325i Coupe
    73 Porsche 911RS

Rich,

My guess is that there's been some kind of malfunction but I wouldn't get too alarmed at this stage. This kind of weird behaviour can be caused at times by simple yet stupid things and by the sounds it's possibly more electrical than electronic.
    Providing you know all you PIN numbers etc, I'd suggest disconnecting the battery overnight & reconnecting tommorrow. Disconnect the - pole first but connect the + pole first. That should clear the memory of the ECU so you're getting away to a fresh start. I'd be giving the electrical system a good looking over for dodgy earths and connections before you reconnect.
    Wasn't life so much simpler when we had carbys & distributors, points and coils?

Alan S
    If it ain't broke, use a 12" shifter.....that usually does the trick!!

Hey Rich,

Mine did the exact same thing the other night. It did ages ago just after I got the car. I took it back to the dealer and they re-loaded something in the BSI. Looks like i've got another trip back there to get another update done. I've had lots of little electrical gremlins in my car. It sometimes starts to annoy me but all I have to do is go and have good long drive through the hills and everything is better

A friend of mine however has an Astra Convertible and everytime he turns the heater on - more often now it's winter - the central display fades until you cant read it.

Cheers

Michael
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by Zen
    I was driving home tonight in the 206 GTi 180 and all the sudden all my dials went dead and the fuel empty light (yellow dot at the bottom of the fuel gauge) and the STOP light started flashing at me. Also, all the air bag lights on the display were solid on and my brake light was solid on as well.
    Congratulations .. you've been Plexed , happened to all most all of us 206 owners .. there has never been a decent explanation for the cause, other then we'll reload the software and see if that fixes it .. FIXES WHAT is the thing I'd like to know. Bad earths have been some of the causes, but many remain a mystery.

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Fellow Frogger!

and the most common way to be 'plexed is with the "Anti-pollution Fault".

uh-huh... a little more detail please. how about APF003 or something the mechanic can actually fooking use, because i can guarantee you'll get to the dealership and they wont be able to replicate sh1t.

muhahahhaha. the evil PSA 'Plexing virus has another sucker.

oh far out, imagine that.... remember that story about being able to reflash the ECU through the use of the CD Player. imagine if someone could generate a virus in the radio waves that makes our cars go out of control

hahahaha... that'll bve the day.

Tadpole

I'm just about to drive my 206xt to Melb (PEP 206). from Gold Coast and it cut out on me dead. It's been dropping out and surging on the M1 motorway. some times you look at the panel and all instruments have just come back on, ...the odometer takes a while to reset. Told the dealer City Pug Bris. at 60000 service and they could not replicate problem. Any way I took it back and they found loose connections in or on the 'throttle body' which seems to have caused problems Iv'e had since the car was new 16 months ago [yeah, I know I get the miles up working in Bris.] I, and some mechanics put it down to crap fuel but I only run BP Ultimate. Anyway, so far so good, fingers crossed for the trip down the Newel.

update Rich

Zen

Ahhh woops. So yah, I disconnected the battery that night and went to bed, hooked it back up in the morning and I guess the computer reset itself through lack of power and was fine and has been ever since.

This is where you guys are gonna abuse me... I've been so damn busy at work I haven't had a chance to call the dealer about the problem (good thing is I might be promoted to general manager next week so I've heard). I'm gonna be in the city tomorrow anyways and will stop in and talk to them about it.

Rich

'04 206 GTi 180
    '95 306 S16

I hope you guys get your electrical problems sorted out. My S16 was a nightmare in that department too- rear window wiper turning itself on, switches not working, engine ECU replaced, intermittent engine fault codes etc, etc. What is it with Peugeot and electrics?

To the guy from Adelaide- get stuck into Taylors or else they'll just stuff you around endlessly. They seem to think customers should just accept that sort of thing like they do!
    David
    Former 306 S16 owner- now own a Mondeo ST24 V6

XTC

Quote Originally Posted by MondeoST24
    To the guy from Adelaide- get stuck into Taylors or else they'll just stuff you around endlessly. They seem to think customers should just accept that sort of thing like they do!
    That's an interesting take on Taylors ... they seem to have a very very good rep (compared to some of the other froggie dealers).

- XTC206 -
    You're not fooling everyone, or did you forget? .......

'02 Peugeot 206 GTi / '07 VW Golf GTI
    Now this is a .sig
    AF'd in PER, MEL, SYD, ADL, CBR

Interesting with Taylors. I've had nothing but great service from them. Took the car in with an oil leak and some slight corrosion i noticed around the waterpump when doing an oil change and they had a look and then booked the car straight in to replace the rear main seal, waterpump, timing belt and even replaced the clutch. I've always dealt with Scott (the service manager) and he's been brilliant
    Murray : And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's car as he enters the swimming pool!
    James Hunt: Well that should put them out then!

Mallala: 1:30.79

Things must have changed for the better then- I haven't dealt with them for over five years. I remember when second gear and synchro had to be replaced on my S16 (at 1000km) it took Scott over a month just to order the parts- some excuse about they weren't sure which parts to order.... and the constant ECU faults he flogged off as being "normal"!

Then there was the time I picked the car up after a servicing and warranty work and went to pay with Visa- was told it was $400 odd but I'd have to come back as nobody knew how to operate the EFTPOS machine. So I was going to come back the following week... about three days later I receive an account and the price has increased by over $300! Immediately ring up to be told there was a mistake and my bill is actually the higher amount.

I argued and found out I was being charged for things like gearbox oil (when it was being changed to fix cold morning grating problems under warranty) My wifes Excel had just had the same problem fixed by Hyundai under warranty for no charge- so I went off at them. It's sad when Hyundai have better warranty coverage than Peugeot.

Is the multiplexing synch problem a common fault with the 206? From what I was reading your ABS/ airbags also go through the same system- so does this mean no ABS and airbags while it's malfunctioning?! If so they should be recalled and fixed.
    David

Here's another Taylor's experience that you'll probably get a laugh from:

The S16 was running rough, and had a real bad hesitation upon changing up gears. I'd had it looked at by Scott and all in the workshop and they gave it a clean bill of health. I was really mad, so marched into John Taylor's office and demanded he come out and drive my car (he's the dealership owner for those who don't know )

So he comes out and takes it for a drive, and immediately agrees there's a problem. Ends up with a new ECU fitted- but should I have had to go to such lengths to get the fault fixed?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by MondeoST24
    Here's another Taylor's experience that you'll probably get a laugh from:

The S16 was running rough, and had a real bad hesitation upon changing up gears. I'd had it looked at by Scott and all in the workshop and they gave it a clean bill of health. I was really mad, so marched into John Taylor's office and demanded he come out and drive my car (he's the dealership owner for those who don't know )

So he comes out and takes it for a drive, and immediately agrees there's a problem. Ends up with a new ECU fitted- but should I have had to go to such lengths to get the fault fixed?
    G'day Dave,

Sorry to hear about those experiences. I hope they have changed for the better; certainly my experiences with Taylors have been quite good. I had to do a LOT of haggling to get my 2nd hand car at the price that I wanted, but after that they were very professional and in particular their business manager (I think) even organised comprehensive insurance for me, with CGU for a price that worked out somehow cheaper than my previous quote from CGU. I have no idea how that was possible, but that's what happened.

Another time I rang up for the wheel alignment specs for my car and they faxed me the specs immediately.

When I bought the car the CD changer catridge was missing, and it did take them 2 months to get one in for me which irked me a bit. But on the positive, I only had to remind them once after a couple of weeks, and then a month and a half later I got a call saying they'd finally got the catridge in. I have to say I was quite happy with that since my previous experiences with other dealers for example Castle Hill Toyota, I've had to chase up the dealer dozens of times to get what I'm owed.

I think dealers are now starting to get the picture that their reputation is definitely dependant on their service, and their long term success is crucial to their reputation.
    Take the long way home....

- 306 gti6

Hi Jude- truth is it put me off buying another Peugeot, particularly when there's only one dealer in town. I knew it would almost be a certainty that I'd be a regular visitor for the first couple of months if I bought a 406- Peugeot make great handling cars but they do seem to have some quality control problems.

One day I'd like to get another- possibly a second hand 206 for the wife? But problems like the multiplexers playing up are very off putting when you want to keep running costs to a minimum.
    David

Thread Information